1. Topic SentenceCircle the topic sentence.Is it an opinion?Does it need to be proven?Is it what the paragraph is about?
2. Concrete DetailsHighlight the concrete details.Is it an absolute fact?If it is a quote, is it cited correctly?Does it seem to support the topic sentence?
3. Commentary 1Underline the first piece of commentary once in each chunk.Is it an opinion?Does it address the concrete detail in the context of the novel?
4. Commentary 2Underline the second piece of commentary twice in each chunk.Is it an opinion?Does it address the concrete detail in the context of the topic sentence?
5. Concluding StatementCircle the concluding statement.Is it an opinion?Is it redundant?Does it tie up loose ends or fill in the gaps well?If there is no concluding statement, does the paragraph need one?
6. Format• Is it only ONE paragraph?• Does the paragraph have two chunks?• Looking at the handout: • Is the heading on the left side? • Does the heading include their name, subject, period, and due date? • Does it have the title? • Is it double-spaced? • Is it typed? • Is the font correct?
7. Format (cont.)• Is the paragraph in the following order? – TS – CD – CM – CM – CD – CM – CM – CS
8. GrammarCheck for all grammar: Capitalization Spelling Punctuation Run-ons & fragments And so on….