Some thoughts on promotion, marketing and revenue generation for people building apps.

803 views
704 views

Published on

This is a presentation I gave at Mobily's Developer Day in Riyadh on the 5th of October 2013. In it, I look at how to promote your app, how to go out and find users and how to potentially generate revenues.

Hopefully it's useful - if you have any questions, all my contact info is on the final slide.

Published in: Technology, Business
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
803
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
18
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
7
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Some thoughts on promotion, marketing and revenue generation for people building apps.

  1. 1. Eamonn Carey Head of Digital, MHP Communications @eamonncarey eamonn.carey@mhpc.com 05 October 2013 Marketing your app
  2. 2. 2 My  first  love
  3. 3. 3
  4. 4. 4
  5. 5. What  everyone  wants 5
  6. 6. 6 The  reality
  7. 7. Before  we  start  -­‐  some  reality 7
  8. 8. Pre-­‐launch  and  launch 8
  9. 9. Product  market  fit 9
  10. 10. Make  it  social • Connect  to  Facebook,  Twi7er,  Game  Centre,  your  phonebook  or   anywhere  else  that  can  help  you  grow  your  userbase • Don’t  be  spammy!  These  are  powerful  tools.  Use  them  in   moderaEon • The  right  tools  can  be  used  as  a  direct  channel  to  your  market 10
  11. 11. Talk  to  the  right  audience • Research  where  your  potenEal  users  congregate   • Find  the  right  forums,  blogs  and  plaGorms • Engage  with  them 11
  12. 12. Manufacture  scarcity   • Create  demand  by  making  something  slightly  more  difficult  to  get • Don’t  make  it  impossible  or  una7ainable  for  normal  users,  but   just  ask  for  a  li7le  effort 12
  13. 13. Remember • Users  need  to  be  pulled  in  -­‐  they  will  not  find  you  just  because   you  think  they  will • Connect  with  users,  influencers,  bloggers  and  journalists  early   and  oNen  -­‐  don’t  annoy  them,  but  do  make  them  feel  that  their   opinion  is  valuable   • Use  TestFlight  or  other  apps  to  let  key  influencers  or  journalists   get  a  sneak  peek  at  your  app • A/B  test  -­‐  look  at  the  numbers  -­‐  see  what’s  working  and  what’s   not  and  learn  from  that • Examine  potenEal  partnerships  -­‐  you’re  in  a  room  with  some  very   smart  people  from  Mobily  -­‐  could  you  work  with  them,  a  local   brand  or  local  media  organisaEon?   13
  14. 14. Scaling  and  retenJon 14
  15. 15. Using  your  users • Can  you  use  your  users  to  grow? • Dropbox  generates  3m+  referral  links  a  month  -­‐  cheaper  than   paying  $233  to  $388  for  a  paying  subscriber   • As  before,  don’t  be  spammy  -­‐  make  it  worth  your  user’s  while 15
  16. 16. Give  users  a  reason  to  come  back • A  5%  increase  in  customer  retenEon  can  mean  a  30%  increase  in   profitability  for  companies • The  probability  of  selling  something  to  an  customer  is  60/70%,   with  new  users,  this  is  just  5%-­‐20% 16 Source  -­‐  Bain/Market  Metrics
  17. 17. Paid  search 17 • A  hugely  effecEve  way  to  find  your  audience • CPA  costs  in  the  Middle  East  tend  to  be  slightly  lower  than  in   other  markets • No  shortage  of  inventory  or  networks  to  work  with
  18. 18. How  much  does  a  user  cost?   18 Source  -­‐  Fiksu  indexes
  19. 19. Talk  to  your  customers • Simple,  automated  emails  create  a  feedback  loop  and  make   people  feel  valued • Incredibly  valuable  way  to  get  feedback  from  people  who  are  not   obliged  to  say  nice  things.   • ConEnue  to  engage  with  press,  bloggers,  influencers  and  others 19
  20. 20. Remember • Launching  your  product  is  only  the  start   • Most  apps  are  downloaded  and  used  less  than  10  Emes • The  best  way  to  counter  this  is  to  turn  your  users  into  your   biggest  advocates  -­‐  make  it  worth  their  while • Paid  search  is  an  amazing  way  to  juice  your  DAU  and  MAU   numbers,  but  it  can  be  a  false  economy  -­‐  you  want  recurring   users  rather  than  one-­‐off  downloads • Don’t  neglect  the  press,  media  and  influencers  you  culEvated   pre-­‐launch • Always  listen,  learn  and  adapt 20
  21. 21. Revenues 21
  22. 22. Why  don’t  apps  make  money • Think  back  to  product  market  fit  -­‐  revenue  needs  to  be   something  you  think  about  before  you  start  -­‐  where  do  in-­‐app   purchases  happen,  where  are  ads/rewards/incenEves  relevant,   how  do  I  maintain  scale • Most  app  developers  are  not  salespeople • Mobile  adverEsing  and  IAP  ecosystem  is  sEll  growing 22
  23. 23. The  opportunity • Great,  well  designed  apps  which  are  well  thought  out  can  sEll   rise  to  the  top • Brands,  organisaEons  and  businesses  want  in  on  this  market • Huge  opportuniEes  exist  for  partnerships,  sponsorship  and  more • The  right  partners  not  only  deliver  revenues,  but  also  scale • The  mobile  adverEsing  ecosystem  is  gefng  more  robust  -­‐  CPA,   CPC  and  CPM  rates  are  increasing  and  bigger  brand  buys  are   happening  on  mobile 23
  24. 24. In-­‐app  purchases • Make  them  must-­‐haves • Does  it  tap  into  the  fear  of  missing  out? • Don’t  annoy  people  -­‐  make  sure  they   can  sEll  play  the  game  or  use  the  app   without  IAP • Keep  it  simple  -­‐  too  many  opEons   confuse  and  annoy  people Examples • Unlockable  secEons  or  tools • Unlimited  turns  or  lives • ‘Save  me’ • Remove  ads  from  app 24
  25. 25. In-­‐app  ads 25 Source  -­‐  PlacePlay
  26. 26. The  difficulty • eCPM  rates  and  average  revenue  per  daily  acEve  user  (APRDAU)   are  low  outside  the  US • Lots  of  mobile  ads  are  poorly  designed,  lead  to  non-­‐mobile   desEnaEons  and  are  not  naEve  to  your  app • Customers  hate  mobile  ads 26
  27. 27. The  opportunity • More  and  more  mobile  ad  networks  are  coming  on  stream  every   day • Test,  test,  test  and  adapt  -­‐  look  who  is  offering  the  best  inventory 27
  28. 28. NaJve  ads,  rewards  and  incenJves • The  best  ads  are  ones  that  don’t  feel  like  ads • Rewards,  incenEves  and  in-­‐app  placement  works  incredibly  well 28
  29. 29. The  big  opportunity  -­‐  partners • Partners  have  scale,  budget  and  a  markeEng  machine  that  can   help  make  you  a  real  success • Sponsorship  markeEng  offers  both  partners  an  opportunity  to   win 29
  30. 30. Remember • Think  of  how  you’ll  generate  revenues  early  and  oNen • Look  at  ways  of  integraEng  the  revenue  generaEon  process  into   your  app  in  a  seamless  way • Talk  to  businesses  and  partners  -­‐  you’ll  find  a  lot  of  people  are   open  to  co-­‐promoEons,  sponsorships  and  more • Read  -­‐  there  are  countless  threads  on  Quora  and  arEcles   elsewhere  talking  about  new  methods  of  generaEng  revenues • Don’t  just  make  money  for  making  money’s  sake • Don’t  annoy  your  users 30
  31. 31. Thanks 31 @eamonncarey eamonn.carey@mhpc.com

×