Preston Medical Library
What is Data Curation?
preserving and adding
value to digital research
data throughout its
lifecycle” - The Digital
What is Scientific Data?
Recorded factual material accepted in the
scientific community as necessary for validating
• Types of Data
▫ Derived or Compiled
Data Life Cycle
DataONE Life Cycle (dataone.org)
Grant Funding Organizations
• National Science Foundation
▫ Requires a two page data management plan with
all grant applications.
• National Institute of Health
▫ Requires data sharing be addressed in
applications with direct costs of $500,000 or
Why Manage Data?
• Compliance with grant giving organization’s
• Allows for data to be analyzed and published, be
used by others, and for you to get credit for your
work if it is used by someone else.
• File Naming Conventions
• File Types
• Open or Non-Proprietary file types are preferred
▫ Text: PDF/A, TXT Vs. DOC
▫ Images: TIFF, PNG Vs. JPG
▫ Audio: WAV Vs. MP3
▫ Numbers/Statistics: ASCII, SAS Vs. XLS
▫ Video: MPEG, MOV Vs. Quicktime
• Lifespan of at least 10 years.
• Avoid mediums that are susceptible to
• Avoid Mediums that can be easily lost or
• The Cloud
• Data about data
• Universal Medical Language System
• NIH Common Data Elements
▫ Discipline Specific
• Data Journals
• Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs)
• DMPTool (https://dmp.cdlib.org/)
▫ Walks researchers through the creation of a DMP
specifically for a number of different organizations
including the NSF.
▫ Data Management Best Practices
• UT’s Data Management Libguide