Indiana, Girls and STEM
• 7% of the Population
in the state are girls
STEM - by 2018:
• Indiana will be ranked #21 in projected
STEM jobs, and will need 123,000 STEM
Majority of jobs
in STEM by 2018
will be in
But, Girls’ interests
in Computing &
Girls v. Boys in Indiana:
2012 AP Testing in STEM
Girls’ perceptions of STEM
• “57% of girls aged 14-17 believe they’d
have to work harder than a man to be
taken seriously in a STEM job.”5
• Male students are over 3 times more likely
to be interested in STEM majors/careers
than female students.6
Why do girls need STEM?
• Indiana currently has the 6th widest pay
gap in the country. For every dollar a
man makes in Indiana, a woman makes
only 73 cents.7
• Women with STEM jobs earned 33% more
than comparable women in non-STEM
jobs. The gender wage gap is smaller in
STEM careers for women.8
$1.00 > 0.73
How Do We Fix This?
• “To get girls hooked on STEM, you have
to reach them BEFORE middle school,
when their interest in math and
science often wanes.”9
• Support the #STEM
Princess Project on
1. St. Mary’s College – The Status of Girls in Indiana: http://bit.ly/1btNlNg.
2. STEMConnector and MyCollegeOptions: http://bit.ly/1cgCOp3.
4. Source: AP College Board Data, 2012 by State: http://bit.ly/17FA40U.
5. Girl Scout Research Institute, Generation STEM Report: http://bit.ly/1gdOMQr.
6. STEMConnector and MyCollegeOptions: http://bit.ly/1cgCOp3.
7. The States Where Women Make the Most (and Least) Compared to Men, The
8. U.S. Department of Commerce, The State of our Union’s 21st Century Workforce.
9. Hour Detroit, Getting Girls Hooked on STEM Careers: http://bit.ly/YTo7yl.
10. Getting Girls Excited about STEM: A Kickstarter Children’s Book Project:
The Amazing Adventures of the Princesses from Planet STEM: