Effective use of technology in the classroomPresentation Transcript
EFFECTIVE USE OF TECHNOLOGY
IN THE CLASSROOM
Mr. Aaron Carn
St. Johns County School District
• As we advance further into the 21st century, technology
is becoming more and more integrated into our society.
Smart phones are now commonplace, tablets are
replacing or substituting for computers and
laptops, and social media has become second nature.
The rapid and widespread adoption of these
technological innovations has completely changed the
way we conduct our daily lives, including how
knowledge is digested and taught in our classrooms.
• “Since becoming a teacher, I always knew I wanted to integrate
technology into the classroom. Today, I am fully digital. I use technology
to supplement lessons, quizzes or even instruction itself. I have yet to collect
one paper or grade one test this school year. My students are performing
better than ever. GPA and EOC scores are up. It was not easy at first, and
it took some trial and error to figure out what actually worked, but using
technology is so easy and commonplace nowadays. Every teacher should
be effectively using technology in their classrooms.”
- Mr. Carn
BENEFITS OF TECHNOLOGY
• Increased excitement and motivation
• Students are more focused and engaged
• Technology based assignments require in
depth analysis, problem solving and high
• In a day of social media, technology
encourages collaboration among peers
• Teachers can connect to students more
efficiently and provide feedback
• Prepares students for the future
• Lessons meet state and Common Core
BENEFITS OF TECHNOLOGY
• While there are always obstacles to overcome, the
benefits certainly outweigh the negatives.
• A study by CompTIA, revealed that 78 percent of
K-12 teachers and administrators believe
technology has positively impacted the classroom
and the productivity of students.
• Roughly 65 percent of educators surveyed also
believe that students are more productive today
than they were three years ago due to the
increased reliance on technology in the classroom.
• Overall, integrating technology into the classroom
helps prepare our students for the elaborate world
they will face going forward.
CURRENT APPLICATIONS USED
SPLASHTOP IPAD APP
• Control your PC or mac with the ipad. With
the Remote Desktop App you are remotely
accessing your computer and you your iPad is
acting like a touchscreen monitor. You can control
the projected screen fully and see it on your iPad.
Input via ipad on screen keyboard.
• Works when ipad and computer are on the same
- Move about your classroom!
- Flash content on your iPad!
- Use all your PC software programs
like powerpoint, etc.
WHAT IS EDMODO?
Free social learning network for
teachers, students, schools and
Provides an engaging platform for blended
learning and safe, productive social
Safe and easy way to:
− Exchange ideas
− Share content
− Access homework, grades and school
Founded in late
2008, Edmodo is now
used by millions
around the globe.
Our rapid growth is
due to grassroots
adoption - teachers
sharing tools that
STAY CONNECTED WITH EDMODO
Get updates and
notifications on the go with
our mobile app available for:
Access Edmodo on any
mobile browser at
ST. JOHNS COUNTY SCHOOL CODES
• Alice B. Landrum Middle, s8zxta •
• Allen D Nease Senior High,
• Bartram Trail High, a41ryv
• Creekside High, 0ivmgm
• Crookshank Elementary, 57bwzt •
• Cunningham Creek Elementary, •
• Durbin Creek Elementary,
• Fruit Cove Middle, 8a39c8
• Gamble Rogers Middle, lqlbpr
• Hickory Creek Elementary,
• Julington Creek Elementary,
• Ketterlinus Elementary, 0p2mkt
Liberty Pines Academy, e495er •
Mill Creek Elementary, ycpptl
Murray Middle, 9ledox
Ocean Palms Elementary,
Osceola Elementary, 0799z0
Otis A. Mason Elementary, s328il •
Pacetti Bay Middle, zvqbsm
Palencia Elementary School,
Pedro Menendez High, krx5as •
Ponte Vedra High, sm6w2s
Ponte Vedra Palm
R. B. Hunt Elementary, m63eks
Sebastian Middle, 59d1av
South Woods Elementary,
St Johns County Juvenile
St. Augustine High, qglj0v
St. Johns Technical High,
St. Johns Virtual School, 9qpajx
Switzerland Point Middle,
The Webster School, 1kvdal
Timberlin Creek Elementary
W. Douglas Hartley Elementary,
Wards Creek Elementary,
• Google Docs is an easy-to-use online
word processor, spreadsheet and
presentation editor (similar to Microsoft
Suite) that enables you and your
students to create, store and share
instantly and securely, and collaborate
online in real time.
• You can create new documents from
scratch or upload existing
documents, spreadsheets and
presentations. There's no software to
download, and all your work is stored
safely online and can be accessed
from any computer.
• Slideshare is a website that offers
users the ability to upload and share
publicly or privately PowerPoint
presentations, Word documents and
Adobe PDF Portfolios.
• Once files are uploaded, you can
link or embed your files for students
to view (in Edmodo).
• You can also view or download
presentations by other users.
• Information can be viewed on a
variety of media.
BLENDSPACE (FORMERLY EDCANVAS)
• Blendspace provides a simple and fun
way for teachers and students to gather
and learn from multimedia content.
• With a canvas, the possibilities are
endless! Flipped classroom, projectbased learning, and student
presentations are just a few ideas of
what Blendspace enables.
• Just go to http://www.blendspace.com
and you get started in less than a
minute. Teachers and students can sign
up for free!
HOW TEACHERS ARE USING BLENDSPACE
Flipping the classroom
Easily find, add and share online content (PDFs, Google docs).
Students comment or take notes on what was learned.
Research assignments. Web quests. Presentations.
Have students use Blendspace to practice and
demonstrate 21st century learner skills.
No more boring PowerPoints or slaving away many
hours on Prezi. Create new engaging presentations or
augment your current ones with multimedia content.
• Did you know there is a Youtube EDU channel?
• Whether you're doing research for a project,
need help with homework, or just want to learn
something new, YouTube EDU features some of
the most popular educational videos across
• Simply create a Youtube account and
• There are also countless other educational
channels such as:
• Animoto the easiest way to
make beautiful videos online.
• It’s very simple!
1. Upload photos or videos from
your computer or grab from
Facebook, Instagram, Picasa, Flic
kr and elsewhere.
2. Select a video style, choose
some music, add a few words of
your own… and you're done!
3. Download, embed, or share your
Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitt
PLATO LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
• Plato Courseware is a standards-based online
learning program grounded in a tradition of
solid research, sound pedagogy, and applied
innovation. It was developed with rigorous,
relevant curriculum that challenges your
students with a 21st century approach engaging them with interactive, media-rich
• Whether your students are falling behind, at
grade level, or advanced, accommodate their
unique needs in an environment in which they
will thrive. Plato Courseware can be used in a
lab setting, a blended model in which online
courses supplement the traditional classroom,
or through a completely virtual experience.
EDGENUITY (VIRTUAL EDUCATION)
• Edgenuity offers a new way for
today’s students to learn and
achieve (high fives all around).
With personalized curriculum,
students can learn at their own
pace and in the ways that are
right for them. When combined
with interactive videos, tabletready courses, expert
teachers, and a supportive
academic staff, we’re
transforming the learning
experience to drive positive
academic outcomes for every
• PollEverywhere is a website that
allows you to create your own
electronic polls which people can
answer either online or text message.
• It’s extremely simple! Create an
1. Ask your audience a question with
2. Audience answers in real time using
mobile phones, Twitter, or web browsers
3. See your response live on the web or in a
PowerPoint or Keynote presentation
POLLEVERYWHERE APP FOR PPT
• PollEverywhere App is the
most reliable, elegant way to
create live polls in your
• Insert polls directly in
between polls, and create a
experience for your audience.