By Shaila SequeiraDept. of Social WorkMangalore University
Introduction Family life Education is an education in values and relationships. The individual lives in a family or community of persons where life consists of a series of inter- relationships. It is preparing young people to live a full and harmonious life by giving them the knowledge and skills to develop satisfying and stable relationships and a sound system of values.
Definition“Family life education refers to those educational concepts and experiences that influence attitudes towards family living, personal relationships and sexual development” (Dept. of Education, Virginia)
Meaning Family life Education is a broad and flexible field. It contributes to the total growth and well being of the family – physical, mental, emotional, economic and spiritual –can be included under the umbrella of family life education. family life education has its roots in many disciplines including sociology, social work, psychology, anthropology, biology, Education, history.
Objectives of Family Life Education To inculcate a sound system of values with correct priorities. To help the youth to acquire in the process of growing up, the skills necessary to develop and maintain satisfying and stable relationships. To help the problem student to adjust better to home and college situations.
To establish as part of the syllabus a meaningful course in family life education, marriage and vocation and responsible parenthood. To set up a referral system for health, for study and personal problems, in other words, a counseling cell. To establish a meaningful rapport with students, staff and administration which will make the college a community in the fullest sense of the word.
Aims of Family Life Education Family Life Education aims to supplement the education given by the family, especially by the parents in the home. It aims to develop a good character or personality in the growing adolescent. It seeks to provide the youth with a good moral and spiritual code, conducive to health living. Wherever parents abdicate their responsibility due to various reasons, Family life Education will seeks to fill this gap in the school or college. Whenever needed and feasible, parent education through counseling and other means can be attempted.
Family Life cycle1. Bearing families : The married partners are learning to live with each other for the first time. Differences are found to appear from time to time and couple should iron them out and establish meaningful marriage.
2. Child bearing families: Couples enter first conception. With the Coming of a child, finance, leisure time, entertainment, privacy will change. Proper child care becomes important. Attention is diverted or shared between new comer and the spouse.
3.Families with pre – school children: Parents need to cater for the critical needs and interests of pre – school children to stimulate their growth and development. By this time parents think about the question of having or not having more children.
4. Families with school children: Families with school going children have to pay attention to the child’s education and growth needs. The parents are also expected to collaborate with the demands and expectations of the school in helping the child in studies and in development aspects.
5.Families with adolescents: Adolescents have special problems that need the help of parents and this stage can be very crucial for them and their children. As the teenagers approach adulthood parents must ensure a balance between freedom and responsibility by helping their children to plan and then to execute the plans will be beneficial and productive in various life situations.
6. Families as launching centers: After the young adults have gone into work or studies, parents begin to feel a certain sense of loneliness. It is often referred to as ‘the empty nest syndrome’. At the same time they also have the need to maintain a supportive home base for the children.
7. Families in the middle years: This is a trying time for a couple who have to adjust to a different life again away from the children and away from work. At this stage that hobbies are developed earlier in life can keep their occupied during the time after retirement.
8. Families in the late years: The family members need to learn to cope withproblem and living alone at this stage.Society’s expectations will keep children away from the concerns of aged parents very often helpers like home nurses may have to provide the required services to the parents.
ConclusionThus Family Life Education helps for full and harmonious family life.It helps the person with a problem in the family and to other members to accept the person as he/she is