EFFECTIVENESS OF ASHRAYA IN ADDRESSIONG ABSOLUTE POVERTY
- India- 134 th out of 182 countries with the HDI value 0.612.
- The Human Poverty Index rank 62 nd out of 108 developing countries.
- About 170.1 million rural population and 49.6 million of the urban are victims of severe poverty.
- 16 people per 1000 in rural areas and 3 per 1000 in urban centers are affected by seasonal hunger.
- In Kerala, BPL - around 25 percent of the total population. Scheduled Castes -19%
- BPL families in Ernakulum District -215298.
ASHRAYA… for the Rights of Destitutes To Live.
- Destitute Identification, Rehabilitation and Monitoring Programme.
- Under the Poverty Alleviation Department.
- Enhance access to basic necessities and opportunities.
- Make people self reliant.
- MULTI STAGE RANDOM SAMPLING
- UNIVERSE – Ashraya Beneficiaries of Ernakulam District.
- UNIT- Ashraya beneficiary of panchayat where the programme has been carried out for more than 3 years..
- WARDS AND BENEFICIARIES - Lottery Method
- 75% of the beneficiaries reside in rural areas
- 10 % in slums and 5% have no place to live in.
LEVELS OF POVERTY
- 38% earn less than 1000/ month.
RATE OF SELF EMPLOYMENT
- Only 30% is self employed.
DROP OUT RATE
- 14% is due to economic distress.
- Provide awareness at the grassroot level on the purpose of Ashraya, the procedures through which the beneficiaries must go to make best use of it.
- Create goodwill among the panchayat authorities
- Ensure maximum participation in gramasabha and there by in decision making.
- Conduct timely evaluation, half yearly survey and a social audit every 2 years…