1. September 19, 2010 Story of love, faithfulness, loyalty, and God's blessings for such a life. Ruth
2. Ruth 2 1 And Naomi had a kinsman of her husband's, a mighty man of wealth, of the family of Elimelech ; and his name was Boaz. Mighty = gibbor = powerful ; by implication warrior , champion, chief , × excel, giant, man, mighty (man, one), strong (man), valiant man. Strong's Talking Greek & Hebrew Dictionary. Wealth = hayil = a force , … an army , wealth , virtue , valor , strength … valiant (-ly), … Strong's Talking Greek & Hebrew Dictionary. It wasn't about just what he had, but who he was.
3. Boaz was a man of good character . In studying one phrase describing him as a " mighty man of wealth " We see that he was courageous , strong , a champion , a warrior , a virtuous man . We will see as we progress through the Book of Ruth that his strength and courage were not merely physical traits , But he was spiritually strong , and lived a godly life .
4. We know from our study of Judges that the nation as a whole was backslid . But God always has a remnant who remain loyal. Romans 11 1 I say then, Hath God cast away His people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God hath not cast away His people which He foreknew. Wot ye not what the Scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
5. 3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. 4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to Myself seven thou-sand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal. 5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. In the time of the Judges, Boaz was a part of God's remnant of faithful men.
6. 2 And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean ears of corn after him in whose sight I shall find grace. And she said unto her, Go, my daughter. Leviticus 19 9-10 And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not wholly reap the corners of thy field, neither shalt thou gather the gleanings of thy harvest. And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger: I am the Lord your God.
7. God commanded His people to make provision for the poor in their midst. We will see that Boaz far exceeded the Commandment in generosity . God will bless Generous
8. Observe Ruth's humility. When Providence had made her poor, she cheerfully stoops to her lot. High spirits will rather starve than stoop; not so Ruth. Nay, it is her own proposal. She speaks humbly in her expectation of leave to glean. We may not demand kindness as a debt, but ask , and take it as a favor, though in a small matter. Matthew Henry Concise Bible Commentary. Ruth was also a person of good character. We have already seen that she loved her husband and was kind to him and Naomi.
9. Ruth also was an example of industry. She loved not to eat the bread of idleness. This is an example to young people. Diligence promises well, both for this world and the other. We must not be shy of any honest employment. No labor is a reproach. Sin is a thing below us , but we must not think any thing else so, to which Providence call us. Matthew Henry Concise Bible Commentary.
10. Proverbs 12 27 The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious. To waste God's Provision is sinful. To take care of and make good use of God's Provision is both wise and diligent. Maintain your house and your car. Eat your leftovers. Put your clothes away when you take them off. Manage your money, looking ahead to future need.
11. Proverbs 6 6-8 Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest. A will to work is a godly virtue. As Matthew Henry put it, " When Providence had made Ruth poor, she cheerfully stoops to her lot." Let us not be prideful in this world. Be content to live as God has made opportunity.
12. Ecclesiastes 9 10a Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; … It doesn't matter if a job seems to be beneath your ability, education, or training, Do it with all your might. Strive for excellence ! God will reward your efforts, whether the boss does or not.
13. 3 And she (Ruth) went, and came, and gleaned in the field after the reapers: and her hap (accident, fortune, chance) was to light on a part of the field belonging unto Boaz, who was of the kindred of Elimelech . It appeared to be chance that brought Ruth to this particular field belonging to Boaz, But we know it was the Hand of God .
14. 4 And, behold, Boaz came from Bethlehem, and said unto the reapers, The Lord be with you. And they answered him, The Lord bless thee. We see more of the godly character and virtues of Boaz in this simple verse. Though he was a man of wealth and power, He greeted his workers with kindness and a blessing. They responded in kind.
15. You can tell much about a person's heart condition by their habits of speech . Proverbs 18 21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof. We need to guard our tongues to speak only life-producing words . Strive to break bad speech habits. Form good speech habits.
16. Matthew 12 34-35 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh . A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. Over time, our words will reveal us for who we really are. Mean Good
17. Words have tremendous power. James 3 10-11 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? "Good morning Lord." "Good lord, it's morning." "Have a blessed day." "Good luck." "Go to blazes."
18. "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me." "I can't do it." "I'm weak." "I can't help it." "I'm just a loser." We need to acknowledge that we are the sons and daughters of The Most High God, And speak and act accordingly! In a time when few loved God and lived for Him, Ruth and Boaz set the example.