2. God's Plan to save a harlot. God loves individuals intimately. His love is not distant .
3. God saw a seed of faith in her heart, and sent opportunity. Rahab acted upon her faith and was saved. Sent the king's men on a wild goose chase.
4. 12 (Rahab) Now therefore, I pray you, swear unto me by the Lord, since I have shewed you kindness, that ye will also shew kindness unto my father's house, and give me a true token: 13 And that ye will save alive my father, and my mother, and my brethren, and my sisters, and all that they have (all their children) , and deliver our lives from death. Rahab loved her family and wanted to protect them.
5. Rahab wanted to see her family saved as much as she wanted to be saved. That is a natural part of being saved: You want to see your loved ones saved. When a person recognizes and understands the reality of Heaven and Hell, Where his loved ones spend eternity is the most important thing in his life.
6. Not enough people today value family as they should. The family is a nuisance, until that arrogant one needs something. Family stuff is borin g; his friends are more fun.
7. Don't forsake or alienate the ones who love you. They are more valuable than you realize. Rahab loved her family, and protected them.
8. Deuteronomy 5 16 Honor thy father and thy mother, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. To honor one's parents means to value or prize them highly. Bible Knowledge Commentary
9. Children still under the rule of their parents manifest honor with respectful obedience . A disrespectful attitude , reluctant obedienc e, any pulling away from full love and respect Is to fail in this Commandment to honor parents.
10. If we want our lives to be blessed and good, it matters . Neglect of parents is to neglect the Will of God.
11. The duty to honor our parents doesn't end as we get older. I think of the old song, "Cat's in the Cradle". Two excerpts: http://www.lyricsdepot.com/harry-chapin/cats-in-the-cradle.html
12. Well, he came home from college just the other day So much like a man I just had to say "Son, I'm proud of you, can you sit for a while?" He shook his head and said with a smile "What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys See you later, can I have them please God didn't say use your parents. He said honor them. As we get older we honor them with our time , accountability , willing help , and affection .
13. I've long since retired, my son's moved away I called him up just the other day I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind" He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I can find the time You see my new job's a hassle and kids have the flu But it's sure nice talking to you, Dad It's been sure nice talking to you" We are never too old to honor our parents.
14. Our culture has devalued family. So many things are more important: Family was the first thing God established for mankind, and it is the most vital . Basic building block of a society. Tear it down, the society will crumble .
15. 1 Timothy 5 3 Honor widows that are widows indeed. 4 But if any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to shew piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God. Requite = repay Your parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts have been good to you in your young years. Don't neglect them when they're old. If anyone is too busy for family, you are too busy .
16. 1 Timothy 5 1 Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren; 2 The elder women as mothers; the younger as sisters, with all purity. Church family is to be valued right along with blood family. The same respect and love.