1. www.rossvillechurch.com 781 Salem Road, Rossville, GA 30741 June 22, 2011
2. Act 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by Him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know : Peter is preaching Jesus, the Only Name whereby men can be saved.
3. 22b Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you God acknowledged Jesus as His Son in numerous ways: "This is My Beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased." The lame walked, the dumb talked, the blind saw; Jesus raised the dead , fed the hungry , and preached the Gospel to the poor.
4. 22c which God did by Him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know : The Jewish religious leaders knew the Truth, And rejected Him -- purposefully and willfully. He was a threat to their way of life. Many common people also knew , and rejected Jesus, from fear of the Pharisees and Saducees.
5. People still know the Truth and reject Jesus, and for pretty much the same reasons : Many of them don't want to give up their way of life. Fornication, drunkenness, cheating, stealing, lying, and such are against Jesus. Others are afraid of being ostracized by their (so-called) friends. Just as many Jews were afraid in Jesus' time.
6. 23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain : The Jews took Jesus, and demanded His death. The Romans killed Him on the cross.
7. 24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that He should be holden of it. But Jesus did not stay dead and in the grave. God raised Him from the dead in the Power of the Holy Ghost.
8. (TLB) 25 "King David quoted Jesus as saying: ’I know the Lord is always with Me. He is helping Me. God’s Mighty Power supports Me. 26 ’No wonder My heart is filled with joy and My tongue shouts His praises! For I know all will be well with me in death -- 27 ’You will not leave My soul in hell or let the body of Your Holy Son decay. 28 ’You will give Me back My life and give Me wonderful joy in Your Presence.’ David was clearly writing of Messiah.
9. 29 "Dear brothers, think! David wasn’t referring to himself when he spoke these words I have quoted, for he died and was buried, and his tomb is still here among us. 30 But he was a prophet, and knew God had promised with an unbreakable oath that one of David’s own descendants would [be the Messiah and] sit on David’s throne. 31 David was looking far into the future and predicting the Messiah’s resurrection, and saying that the Messiah’s soul would not be left in hell and his body would not decay. (TLB)
10. (TLB) 32 He was speaking of Jesus, and we all are witnesses that Jesus rose from the dead. 33 "And now He sits on the throne of highest honor in Heaven, next to God. And just as promised, the Father gave Him the authority to send the Holy Spirit -- with the results you are seeing and hearing today. 34 "[No, David was not speaking of himself in these words of his I have quoted], for he never ascended into the skies. Moreover, he further stated, ’God spoke to My Lord, the Messiah, and said to Him, Sit here in honor beside Me 35 until I bring Your enemies into complete subjection.’
11. 36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, Whom ye have crucified , both Lord and Christ. 37 Now when they heard this , they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? It is still the right question: You have heard the Truth, and know it is Truth; What are you going to do about it?
12. 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the Name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the Promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
13. Repent = Change your mind. Let God take away your sins. Sin destroys ; Jesus saves from sin and hell. Turn from sin and walk in righteousness, in the Power of God . To save you from sin and from hell.