1. www.rossvillechurch.com 781 Salem Road, Rossville, GA 30741 In 1 Samuel 8 the men of Israel demanded a king . God had Samuel warn them against a king, But they said, &quot; We will have a king, that we may be like the other nations. In 1 Samuel 9 we meet the future king. November 6, 2011
2. 1 Samuel 9 1 Now there was a man of Benjamin, whose name was Kish, the son of Abiel, the son of Zeror, the son of Bechorath, the son of Aphiah, a Benjamite, a mighty man of power. Kish was a rich and influential Benjamite: &quot;a mighty man of power.&quot; Therefore Saul was a Benjamite, son of a rich and influential Benjamite.
3. Out of what tribe were the kings of Israel prophesied to come? Genesis 49:10 (NIV) (Jacob) The scepter will not depart from Judah , nor the ruler's staff from between his feet, until He comes to whom it belongs and the obedience of the nations is His.
4. Did Samuel miss God when he anointed Saul to be king? No; the men of Israel missed God when they demanded a king outside of the Will of God. When we demand our own way , live life our own way, contrary to the Will of God, What we experience will never be God's Best .
5. 2 And Kish had a son, whose name was Saul , a choice young man, and a goodly : and there was not among the children of Israel a goodlier person than he: from his shoulders and upward he was higher than any of the people. Saul was tall , dark , and handsome . He was also known to be a good person .
6. He looked like a king. When God sent Samuel to choose and anoint Saul's replacement for King -- 1 Samuel 16:7 (NIV) But the Lord said to Samuel, &quot;Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.&quot;
7. Saul didn't just look like a king, he was a good young man . Accepted good counsel from his servant Persevered in the face of hardship Obedient to his daddy Submissive to the man of God Humble when told he was to be king of Israel
8. 3 And the asses of Kish Saul's father were lost. And Kish said to Saul his son, Take now one of the servants with thee, and arise, go seek the asses.
9. 4 And he passed through mount Ephraim, and passed through the land of Shalisha, but they found them not: then they passed through the land of Shalim, and there they were not: and he passed through the land of the Benjamites, but they found them not. Saul was a faithful son , and he persevered in striving to obey his daddy.
10. Saul and his servant traveled far in rough lands.
11. 5 And when they were come to the land of Zuph, Saul said to his servant that was with him, Come, and let us return; lest my father leave caring for the asses, and take thought for us. It's been three days . Saul didn't want his daddy to worry about them. I am getting a picture here of a good son with a caring daddy.
12. 6 And (the servant) said unto him, Behold now, there is in this city a man of God, and he is an honorable man; all that he saith cometh surely to pass: now let us go thither; peradventure he can shew us our way that we should go. Good advice: &quot;Let's ask the man of God.&quot; Do you ever seek counsel from the man of God? Or, are you afraid he will tell you the Truth ?
13. 7 Then said Saul to his servant, But, behold, if we go, what shall we bring the man? for the bread is spent in our vessels, and there is not a present to bring to the man of God: what have we? 8 And the servant answered Saul again, and said, Behold, I have here at hand the fourth part of a shekel of silver: that will I give to the man of God, to tell us our way. Interesting: Saul had nothing, but the servant had some money.
14. 9 (Beforetime in Israel, when a man went to inquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and let us go to the seer: for he that is now called a Prophet was beforetime called a Seer.) 10 Then said Saul to his servant, Well said; come, let us go. So they went unto the city where the man of God was. It was Saul's decision to make, but he took the advice of his servant.
15. Proverbs 12 15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel (prudence) is wise. Proverbs 19 20 Hear counsel (prudence) , and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end. But don't wait until you have made bad decisions or the wrong choices -- and then talk to your pastor, or an older, wiser Christian.
16. Too often people make up their minds, and then seek counsel. All they want at that point is to have their decision agreed with . They are not going to heed anything that is contrary to their premature decision.
17. Some people go for marriage counseling , when they have no intention of reconciling. Long term damage
18. Whatever decisions you have to make, slow down and seek godly counsel. As a young man Saul sought wise counsel and took heed to what he was told. If he had kept that mindset, his reign over Israel might have turned out to be a blessing .