1. God's Idea of a Good Time Friday, January 7, 2011 7:00 P.M. www.rossvillechurch.com www.blainebowman.com
2. 1 John 4 17-18 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as He is, so are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. "As He is, so are we in this world." Jesus was here to do the Will of His Father; so are we . Jesus was here as the Beloved of the Father; so are we .
3. 19 We love Him, because He first loved us. We are able to love God, only because He first loved us and gave Himself for us. Without His sacrifice, we could not love Him. Jesus Blood washed away the enmity of sin that stood between us, and reconciled us unto God.
4. 20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? How we behave toward one another reveals our love, or the lack of love for our Lord. One who loves God can not help but love his brothers and sisters in God's family.
5. The love of God in Christ, in the hearts of Christians from the Spirit of adoption, is the great proof of conversion. This must be tried by its effects on their temper , and their conduct to their brethren. If a man professes to love God, and yet indulges anger or revenge, or shows a selfish disposition, he gives his profession the lie. But if it is plain that our natural enmity is changed into affection and gratitude, let us bless the Name of our God for this seal and earnest of eternal happiness. Then we differ from the false professors, who pretend to love God, whom they have not seen, yet hate their brethren, whom they have seen. Matthew Henry Concise Bible Commentary.
6. 21 And this Commandment have we from Him, That he who loveth God love his brother also. This is as clear as it can possibly be: We must love one another, but if the Love of God is in us, it's not a burden . The Love of God takes one's eyes off of self , and turns them unto the needs and desires of others.
7. Love for the unseen God can only be concretely expressed by love for one’s visible Christian brother. Furthermore, God’s command has joined together the two kinds of love -- love for God and love for one’s brother. The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty. In other words, we manifest our love for God, as we love one another.
8. Philippians 2 1-4 If there be therefore any conso-lation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies (tenderness and compassion) , fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded , having the same love , being of one accord , of one mind . Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory (selfish ambition or vain conceit) ; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things (his own interests; welfare) , but every man also on the things of others (what they are doing) . Be interested in one another.
9. Matthew 25 34 Then shall the King say unto them on His right hand, Come, ye blessed of My Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 For I was an hungered, and ye gave Me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave Me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took Me in: 36 Naked, and ye clothed Me: I was sick, and ye visited Me: I was in prison, and ye came unto Me.
10. 37 Then shall the righteous answer Him, saying, Lord, when saw we Thee an hungered, and fed Thee? or thirsty, and gave Thee drink? 38 When saw we Thee a stranger, and took Thee in? or naked, and clothed Thee? 39 Or when saw we Thee sick, or in prison, and came unto Thee? 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me.
11. For good or ill, however we behave toward one another , we behave toward our Lord . If Jesus was here, you'd do the same to Him.
12. Let's treat one another as we would desire to be treated. As I show my love for you, I show my love for our Lord. Secret love ain't worth much.