1. D E V I N V O D I C K A , E D DJ E A N I E L U C K E YM A Y 1 6 , 2 0 1 3DISTRICT MAGNETPROGRAM UPDATE
2. SUPERINTENDENT’S ADVISORYCOMMITTEE: MAGNET SCHOOLS• Purpose: The purpose of the committee is tomake recommendations to theSuperintendent regarding current and futuremagnet programs in VUSD.
3. COMMITTEE MEMBERS:• Scott Sypkens, Facilitator, San Diego CountyOffice of Education• Jeanie Luckey, Deputy Superintendent• Donna Caperton, Assistant Supt., BusinessServices• Joe Green, Beaumont PTA• Erin English, Foothill Oak Principal• Emy Quiroz, Grapevine Parent• Jenifer Golden, Mission Meadows Principal• Amanda Roberts, Olive Teacher• Catina Hancock, Vista Academy Principal• Emily Garcia, Vista High School Student• Eric Chagala, Vista High Asst Principal• Jose Villarreal, Vista Magnet MS Principal• Jayden Gilliam, Washington MS Student• Anna Johnston, Vista Magnet MS Parent• Ellen Crews, Washington Teacher• Larry White, Executive Director, C & I• Steve Hargrave, Director, Student Services• Jennifer Gilstrap, Empresa Parent• Tekoa Chilcote, Vista Academy Parent• Barbara Franklin, VTA• Adalia Lavado, Olive Principal• Ron Briseno, Community Member, VistaChamber• David Whiddon, Mission Vista HS Asst. Principal• Cecilia Sawyer, Lake Teacher• Sharon Scott-Gonzalez, Vista AcademyTeacher• Laura Smith, Casita Principal• Tara Biancamono, Mission Vista HS• Craig Wiblemo, Mission Vista HS Principal• Lisa Hoffman, CSEA• Steve Post, Mission Vista HS Teacher• Gail Cerelli, Casita Teacher
4. MEETING DATES AND LOCATIONS• January 10, 2013 – Vista Magnet Middle School Library• January 16, 2013 – Vista Magnet Middle School Library• January 31, 2013 – Vista Magnet Middle School Library• February 6, 2013 – Vista Magnet Middle School Library• March 21, 2013 – Vista Magnet Middle School Library• April 11, 2013 – Library Services (Survey Sub-Committee)• April 17, 2013 – Vista Magnet Middle School Library• May 1, 2013 – Vista Magnet Middle School Library
5. SUMMARY OF COMMITTEE WORK -UPDATE• Survey was developed for magnet schoolteachers, students and parents to gather dataon current magnet stakeholder perceptions oftheir school• Results were analyzed by the committee andsummary statements shared for each of themagnet schools: Casita, VAVPA, Vista MagnetMS, Mission Vista HS• Based upon survey data, next steps weresuggested for each of the four current magnetschools
6. COMMITTEE WORK - UPDATE• District wide survey was developed by sub-committee to gather input on a possible magnettheme for the Washington Middle School, reviewedby the committee, and mailed home to K-8 familiesin English and Spanish and made available online toK-12 families. Connect Ed call made to families.
7. COMMITTEE WORK - UPDATE• Survey raw data was compiled for thecommittee’s review:76% parents indicated they would move their child to amagnet school445 responses to survey – 2% response• Using survey data as part of theprocess, committee discussed andunanimously approved a recommendationto the Superintendent
8. ADVISORY COMMITTEERECOMMENDATION TOSUPERINTENDENT• The District Magnet Program Committeerecommends to the Superintendent themiddle school magnet theme “Design andInnovation”
9. ARTS/DESIGN PATHWAYVAVPAElementaryWashingtonMiddleMissionVista HighSchool
10. STEM PATHWAYCasitaElementaryVistaMagnetMiddleMissionVista HighSchool
11. IB PATHWAYVAVPA orCasitaElementaryVista MagnetorWashingtonMiddleVista orRanchoBuena VistaHigh School
12. NEXT STEPS• Convene Planning Committee for Washington MiddleSchool Transition Process• Consider Name Change• Vista Innovation Design Academy (VIDA) …?• Curriculum & Instruction Plans• Staffing Plans• Professional Development Plans• Marketing Plans• Facility Plans• Student Transition Plans• Convene Routine Meetings of Magnet SchoolRepresentatives to promote ongoing articulation andcoordination
13. RECOMMENDATION• Respectfully request approval for three magnetpathways:• STEM• Arts/Design• International Baccalaureate• Respectfully request approval to specifically identifyfocus area for Washington Middle School to be“Innovation and Design”