Phil’s Slide A little history about Manor. Manor is a small community of roughly 5,800 people, just on the outskirts of Austin, Texas. Maybe some interesting facts?
Phil With traditional means of communication, you are unaware of who receives your message.
Phil With web 2.0, you know who your audience is and you can even track how your initial message is continuing to spread.
Qr-codes should not replace print media, only compliment print media
Now, I know in the guide it says this is not a technical presentation, so I’ll try to keep this part as brief as possible.
Transcript of "TML Annual Conference Presentation"
Power to the People: Using Technology ForPower to the People: Using Technology For
Government/Citizen InteractionGovernment/Citizen Interaction
Phil Tate & Dustin Haisler
Twitter Handles @dustinhaisler, @cityofmanor, @manorlabs
- About Manor
- Gov 2.0 Overview
- Manor’s Gov 2.0 Programs
- Can It Be Replicated?
- Where To Start
How Do You Make It Sustainable?
Answer: Game Mechanics
Be Rewarded For Participation
Users Receive “Innobucks” For
Participation (Which Can Be Traded In
For Real Products)
How Are They Rewarded?
– A virtual online currency that can be traded in for
real tangible products and services from the Manor
• Users receive Innobucks in various quantities
depending upon the action they complete.
– For example: Users receive 5,000 Innobucks when
submitting an idea for us to consider.
Twitter @manorlabs Web www.manorlabs.org
What Are Some Of The Tangible Benefits?
• $25 Gift Certificate To Restaurant
• Ride-out With Chief of Police
• Week Named In Your Honor
• Be Mayor For A Day
• Participants Are Also Ranked Based Upon
Their Value To The System.
• This ranking, which we call a “reputation,” is
adjusted daily based on the other platform
How Will Manor Labs Participate With OCW?
• Manor Labs will reward Individuals For
Participating in OCW Courses (“X”
Innobucks Per Course)
• Manor Labs will create a Certificate Program
to encourage Open Courseware participation.
• Publish 10 OCW courses by May 2012
– Examples: Urban Planning, Governmental
Innovation, Persuasive Technology, etc.
• Encourage other agencies to focus on
empowering citizens with open education.
Twitter @manorlabs Web www.manorlabs.org
What is a QR Code?
• Stands for Quick Response (QR) Barcode
• Is A 2-D Barcode That Can Be Decoded (Using Free
Software) With Most Newer Model Camera Phones
• QR Codes Have Different Levels Of Error Correction
Built Into Them. Up To 30% Of The Image Can Be
Covered Up Or Destroyed, While Still Having The
Information Completely Readable.
• Trackable (With URL Linking)
How To Enable Your Phone To Read QR-Codes
• Find A Compatible Reader For Your Phone
– iPhone: “I-Nigma” in the App Store
– Android: “Barcodes” in the Market
– Or Try Going To www.i-nigma.mobi From Your Phone.
– If All Else Fails Go To
www.cityofmanor.org/qrcodereaders.xls For A
Comprehensive List Of Other Compatible Readers
• There are also numerous desktop readers
(Quickmark, iCandy, etc.), and Google offers a free
service to decode QR-code pictures if no reader is
How To Make A QR Code?
• Many Options Are Available:
– Online Based Generators:
• Google http://zxing.appspot.com/generator/
• I-Nigma http://www.i-nigma.com
• Touchatag http://www.touchatag.com
• They Are All FREE!
Manor’s SmartTour Program
• 24 QR-Codes (15 Equipped with RFID)
• Current Codes Are Deployed On City
Projects, Places of Interest, City Buildings,
and even a Lift Station.
• Businesses/Developer Training Program
• Pilot Testing 20 Additional QR-Codes
Affixed To City Vehicles.
Total Cost of Program (Phase 1)? $400.00
Ways To Start
1. Form an Internal Innovation Committee (Start
Within Your Own Department)
2. Find A Platform To Help Harness/Manage
3. Start Small With R&D
4. Find Higher Education Institutions & Private
Companies To Partner With
5. Cookie Cut (Learn What Others Have Done,
And Apply It)
Why Pass Power To The People?
Thank You For Your Time
Text “Haisler” To 50500 For My Contact Information
Assistant City Manager & CIO
Text “Tate” To 50500 For My Contact Information
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.