- Dead in investment sense. The transition will be gradual of course.- Brad Feld -> Why he invested in SEOmoz?
Similar effect due to:- Google Instant- Automatically returning results for the more common query
- 60% of smartphone usage and 80% of tablet usage happens at home -> couch, desk, and bed- Mobile revolution is about bringing IT and Internet to all 7G people, not 0.5G of - rich enough, - smart enough, and - motivated enough users of PCs.- Making IT more phone-like
- stop developing for desktop!- develop for mobile!- make desktop version later!- that's how Facebook does it since January this year
- 15 years ago only librarians concerned themselves about keywords!- 1/3 of human races is now searching for the right keywords!- 100G$ industry- Word from Googler on a panel: "We hit a gold mine! We won't do anything radical to search!"
- No real progres in web search for the past 15 years!- The underlying technology is from 1970's!
- there's no real difference for the user- only difference is for Google – a working business model- Norbert Fuhr: “the greatest improvements in information retrieval will come from better understanding of the user”- Mobile changes everything!- Search is disruption ready! Go disrupt it!
- An open problem: How to capture user's topic of interest?- Search engines suck at exploratory search: - user is unfamiliar with the domain, - unsure about the ways to achieve his goals, - unsure about his goals in the first place
- Google earns most of its 20+ billion from commercial queries!
- semantic search is slowly getting out of trough of disillusionment and is slowly entering slope of enlightenment.
- extensive personalization and query reformulation arebreaking the mental concept about search engines
- "Users explicitly hate personalization but implicitly like its gains (improvement in relevancy)"- "They don't offer switch-off button for personalization. Users would turn personalization off!"- They (Yandex) don't know how to do explicit personalization!
- Google was saved by the bell!- "Using social information is way more difficult than it looks!"
- Exploratory Search is where most of the Google's money comes from
- This hasn't changed since 1995
The State of the Web Search
The State of the Web Search @dusano Kiberpipa, 2012-11-07
mag. Dušan Omerčević, UDI RI VP of Engineering @firstname.lastname@example.org@zemanta.comrestreaming.wordpress.comlinkedin.com/in/dusanomercevic
Outline• SEO is dead! Long live portal (again!)• Desktop is dead! Long live mobile!• Search is dead! Long live ___? – Search is disruption ready – Some fresh ideas from SIGIR 2012
Query Autocompletion• Andrei Broder: "Due to query auto-completion we went from 2-3 keywords to 2-3 letters!"Source: http://www.dr4ward.com/dr4ward/2012/10/how-did-google-kill-the-long-tail-of-search-seo-infographic.html