- I wanted to call this preso “Get Rich or Go Bald Trying” but I thought the better of it. My presentations were better before Twitter
Zynga's mission is connecting the world through games Over 250 million people play our games each month Café World story Global games with household names including CityVille, FarmVille and Mafia Wars Zynga is creating a new form of entertainment ----- Meeting Notes (6/9/11 14:15) ----- - Cafe Worlds Community Story
10 major games2000+ employees in 7 countries and 17 locationsHired 800+ people in 201014 acquisitions in 12 months75% of Zynga players live outside of the USMore than 14 million new users join Zynga each month54 new players join Zynga every 10 secondsOver 10% of the world ’s Internet population plays Zynga games
We are 4 years old
And we are hiring more. Check Zynga.com/jobs for information about positions here in Dublin
- Large scale production has existed for thousands of years now but management science has existed for only a little more than 100 years!
“ Modern management is the collaboration of people and machines to create value.” Sounds pretty good right? Taylor saw human labor very much analogous to machine work--- something to be &quot;engineered&quot; to achieve efficiency. Pay per line of code!!! Fell out of favor with minimum wage and unions SCRUM Andy Grove
A great objective is a BHAG
- During the 40’s GE had an idea for selling more light bulbs Experimented on women – the results were shocking Revolutionized thinking about human beings. The workplace was a “social system” and managers had to become much more than bean counters
Follett saw business as a cooperative undertaking in which both owners and laborers have an interest. Follett was big on worker empowerment and responsibility. Integration in power relationships between worker and manager meant that employees would obey, not because they were told to do so, but because the situational facts required a particular action. People would be responsible to their work, not to someone.
- Maslow – psychologist in the 50’s and 60’s who focused on successful people rather than people who were suffereing He identified a “needs” pyramid which identifies the core needs of human beings. D-Needs and B-Needs. Can’t worry about B-Needs until D-Needs are satisfied Chip Conley – Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo From Maslow
- Did I mention that we are hiring?
Pictures of Taylor, Follett, Andy Grove, Tony Hsieh and Chip Conley with plus signs between them Process + Values + Meritocracy = Zynga Images from Zynga games
“ Managing Now”
Goals review gratuitous stats the history of managing people Zynga ’s secret sauce amazing “cocktail” party facts
Zynga is a platform for play! connecting the world through games 250 million people per month Global games with household names a new form of entertainment
Fun Cocktail Party Fact #3: Confucius Invented the Concept of the Meritocracy
Zynga levels up 20-30% of it ’s staff every quarter!
Zynga’s Secret Sauce: Have Fun Process + Values + Meritocracy = Zynga
OKRs for my Preso kr1 kr3 kr2 objective To Spread the Use of SCRUM, OKR’s, Values and Meritocracy a Management Tools Deliver an engaging presentation in 20 minutes (or close to it!) 1 of the 5 companies speaks on a panel next year on the positive impact of these tools Convince 5 companies to try OKRs for 3 months
Cocktail Fun Fact #1: Daniel McCallum Invented the Org Chart Board of Directors President Chief Financial & Accounting Officer (Secretary & Treasurer) Chief Operating Officer (General Superintendent) Purchasing Agent Supply Agent Freight Agent Passenger Agent Track Master Track Master Master Mechanic