So once we have all these objects, and begin to understand intent, we can do some magic
what does duane do at bing Bing Webmaster Tools Speaks at shows, runs forums and blog, provides guidance on new WM www.bing.com/toolbox/webmasters tools Does he have a clue? 12+ years as an inhouse SEO; ran seo at MSN; has helped Disney, GAP, Walmart + http://www.linkedin.com/in/dforrester @duaneforrester And this helps me how? Blogging since 2001; owns 150 domains; makes money online http://twitter.com/DuaneForresterYour data, always fully provided.
Man’s History of Marketing Billboards Social Radio Email Mercantile shops SEO Throwing rocks Smoke signals Trading goods Mail order catalogues Television PPCYour data, always fully provided. Image credit: www.conducthq.com
• Keyword stuffing • SEO software works • Google and MSN Search launch • Google fights spam all the rage very well for #1 • Word spreads that links help rankings with Florida update;• SE submissions placements • DMOZ launches and starts directory • First paid link hurts legit sites help rankings • cloaking makes its movement network appears • Blogging takes off appearance • Text Link Ads creates network link buying • Google Toolbar shows PR – • Dawn of modern search drives link requests engines w/Altavista • Google notes the • Death of SE submissions “sandbox” • First SEO conference held: SE Strategies • Link Farms appear 1994 1995 1997 1998 1999 2000 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 ? • Social • XML sitemaps • Google’s “Brand” • Canonical tag • Google launches G+ signals jointly supported update uses “trust appears • G launches +1, tells • Mobile by all engines signals” to restack • Caffeine rolls out sites they rank • Gestures SERP around allowing faster better displaying it • Voice brands indexing – “real time” search is here • Bing partners with• Nofollow tags appear; • Universal search appears • Tweets integrated Facebook to • Bing expands PR sculpting follows • Text Link Ads banned by Google showing future of integrate social social inclusion• G Jagger/BigDaddy • Wikipedia shows the future – social influencing signals into SERPs with FB, Twitter & updates seek link spam domain authority through search • rich snippets 4Square content depth starting to be used • Rich Snippets by sites impacting SERPs Your data, always fully provided. Data credit: gossip.greenlightdigital.com/blog/the-history-and-evolution-of-seo/
• Build social followers & fans organically • Wall posts/tweets with links are perceived as more credible and useful • Get the basics of SEO covered, then focus on content • Its worth repeating: unique, compelling content still worksYour data, always fully provided.
• The engines really respond to unique, useful content • Your visitors respond to this as well • It’s a wise investment of your time • Don’t take shortcuts – limit syndicated contentYour data, always fully provided. image credit: http://mashable.com/2011/01/10/social-content-strategy/
• The Internet is B.I.G. Slice and dice to find your niche. • Plenty of niche areas to explore/exploit – start your fight where you can dominate • Choose your voice wisely; don’t be afraid to express an informed opinion • Watch what users respond to, then amplify along those linesYour data, always fully provided.
• Know exactly what users are searching for • Data can help you uncover new niches or refine your focus • Helps keep you focused on creating compelling content • Got writers block? Check your keyword research for inspirationYour data, always fully provided.
• SEO is not just content • SEO can be affected by technical elements • You need both • Content can win, but technical SEO helpsYour data, always fully provided.
• Skip m. domains • m. domains produce unwanted duplication • Responsive design is your friend • HTML5 can helpYour data, always fully provided.
Where does SEO fit in? Content Social User Experience Link Building SEOYour data, always fully provided.
Search – you’re trying to solve…When optimizing your site for search, you invest in these major areas QUALITY TRUST POPULARITY TIMELINESS Content Authority Traffic Current Links Usefulness Repeat Visits Fresh Appearance Resource Links RelevantYour data, always fully provided.
Search – were trying to solve…Your data, always fully provided. ComScore and Microsoft Internal Analysis 2010
A Changing “Web of Objects” Real-Time Firehose People Services Devices Places/Things MultimediaYour data, always fully provided.
A Changing Web of Your Objects Schema.org can helpMark up your contentYour data, always fully provided.
Search - EvolvedDeliver knowledge by computationally understanding user intent. “Linda” Query Intent Detection Task Derivation • Who • Purchase • Where • Install “home gym” • Others • Sell • Semantic • Set fire to • Research • Impress friends Content Social Media + Signals Real TimeYour data, always fully provided.
• Signal of topical authority • Real-time – engines want fresh content, fast • Integrated social signals influence click actions of searchers • Social signals remain only a few of thousands of signals for organic rankingHow users click on your results can impact rankings and when we show cues like yourFacebook friends with results, click rates can be impacted.Your data, always fully provided.
• What else will be considered “search”? • Mobile image capturing • Voice activated search • APPs are refined search experiences • Gestures could indicate search intent • Look at kids today and the habits they are developing to help understand what they will need in the future from technology Think about how people looking for your business will find you using the technologies available to them. Smart phones, in-car systems, tablets, xBox, etc. Your data, always fully provided.
• Different sources must be handled differently • Organic traffic is building trust • Paid traffic is ready to open their wallets • Email traffic is ready to buy…now • Ensure your conversion path is short and sweet • Off the shelf carts can usually be tweaked to gain improvements in conversions.Your data, always fully provided.