So once we have all these objects, and begin to understand intent, we can do some magic
From Nouns to Verbs
9 billion to 25 billion in the next 8 years
Bing Webmaster Tools Webinar - Tomorrow's SEO
what does duane do at bing Bing Webmaster Tools Speaks at shows, runs forums and blog, provides guidance on new WM tools www.bing.com/toolbox/webmasters Does he have a clue? 12+ years as an inhouse SEO; ran seo at MSN; has helped Disney, GAP, Walmart + http://www.linkedin.com/in/dforrester @duaneforrester And this helps me how? Blogging since 2001; owns 150 domains; actively optimizes and monetizes http://twitter.com/DuaneForresterYour data, always fully provided.
Web innovation and the evolution of search • • •
Will SEO still be relevant? Content Social User Experience Link Building SEOYour data, always fully provided.
• Query is a single action • Session is a collection of related actions over time Query Session dog • Monday • Tuesday • dog beds • dog sweaters • dog accessories • dog collars • dog toys • dog leashes • vet near me • puppy training • dog friendly hotels • dog park • organic dog food • dog allergies • doggy day care • pictures of dogsYour data, always fully provided.
Understanding searcher behaviourYour data, always fully provided. ComScore and Microsoft Internal Analysis
Moving Beyond Queries to Sessions Time Spent on Sessions by Length Queries Over Time 0-3 mins >30 mins 9% Exact Repeats 46% 19% Partial Repeats 3-10 mins 30% Almost 12% Almost 50% 50% of all time spent 10-15 mins 10% of queries are searching is on returning to sessions > 30 minutes previous tasks New Queries 15-30 mins 51% 23%Search Sessions are Long and Repetitive…Your data, always fully provided.
As Search Evolves, So Must You Creating personas can help “Linda” Query Intent Detection Task Derivation • Who • Purchase • Where • Install “home gym” • Others • Sell • Semantic • Set fire to • Research • Impress friends Content Services Media + UX Real TimeYour data, always fully provided.
A Changing “Web of Objects” Real-Time Firehose People Services Devices Places/Things MultimediaYour data, always fully provided.
To crawl a URL costs roughly a penny…a little less, in fact There are hundreds of billions of pages online, from ~ 650 million sites We need to crawl them all to see if they’re worth indexing REAL-TIME SOCIAL LOCAL & MOBILE COMMERCE DEVICES PLATFORMS SERVICESYour data, always fully provided. 10
Reinventing Search Across 3 Dimensions Information Architecture Creation of new information via social graph and geospatial index Interaction Model Not just mouse and keyboard, but also voice, touch, gesture & vision Entry Points Not just browser, but devices, services and social networksYour data, always fully provided.
Mobile will continue to influence socialYour data, always fully provided.
• Every area of your site has a value - $, PV, Emails, etc. • Determine what the value is • Sort your site by value to see what really matters • Organize work around high- value areas firstYour data, always fully provided.
• The engines respond to unique, useful content • How do you define “content”? • Match content to your audience • Different mediums for different jobs (video, text, images, etc.) • Don’t take shortcuts – limit syndicated contentYour data, always fully provided. image credit: http://mashable.com/2011/01/10/social-content-strategy/
• It will always begin here • Match data from external sources against your own data • Develop “Share of Voice” reporting to explain success • Back to sessions – create keyword campaigns around topicsYour data, always fully provided.
• So you want more shares for your content, do you? Try these ideas. • Create lists: people love to consume content in list-form. Its quick, easy and simple. • Use hooks: ego, humor, anger, contrarian – be careful with them, but when used well, they are highly effective. • Participate in communities: when you are valued member of a community, the community supports you. • Share others’ information: people love when what they share gets shared itself. Share from trusted sources. • Ask questions: your followers will love the interaction and it’ll grow your following as others engage. Your data, always fully provided.
• Do you have the skills to succeed? • Do you know what it takes to be a successful SEO? • What skills should you add and why? • Telling people you’re an expert doesn’t make you an expertYour data, always fully provided.
• Take classes on your own • Take training offered by employers • Seek mentorship opportunities (someone to mentor you) • Run your own websites • Read more • Seriously – read this book >>>Your data, always fully provided.