1. July 11, 2012Twitter for Beginners: Sink or Swim #swimmiesfortwitter
2. Learning Objectives• Understand the differences between Twitter and Facebook• Become familiar with basic Twitter terminology andfunctionality• Feel prepared to create an organizational Twitter account thatwill engage constituents• Craft an effective tweet
3. Rate Your Twitter Literacy 1 10
4. What is Twitter? Twitter is an online social networking service that enables its users to send & read text-based posts of up to 140 characters - "tweets." • Created in March of 2006 by @jack (Jack Dorsey) • 127 million active users as of 2012 • 340 million tweets daily • Over 1.6 billion search queries per day
5. Before Diving In…Why Twitter?
6. Facebook:Twitter::Freestyle:Butterfly • 845 million users (nearly • 127 million active users (500 14% of the world’s population) million total) • 63,206 characters per post • 140 characters per post • posts should be engaging • Tweets should be succinct and interactive and “retweetable” • photos are most shared • breaking news often retweeted
7. Who are these Tweeple? 59% women 83% some college+ 54% tweet via mobile device 36% tweet at least 1x/day Infographic by Online MBA via @mashabletech (Mashable), 3/2012
8. Why Tweet?
9. Put On Your Swimmies!
10. Twerms, Twools & A Twictionary!
11. Twerms, Twools & A Twictionary!
12. What to Tweet The 60-30-10 Rule RTs & Promoting 10% Other Users/Resources Conversation & 30% Responses 60% Announcements & Events
13. How to TweetYour account dashboard Keep up with your conversations & mentions Check out trends & search categories Compose your next tweet Manage account settings Search for friends to follow Timeline to view what you and accounts you are following are saying
14. What does “tweeting” look like?
15. What Not to Tweet@Chrysler: "I find it Ironic that Detroit isknown as the #motorcity and yet no onehere knows how to f*****g drive"And how to recover…
16. Grab Your Kickboard!
17. Let’s Take a Dip!
18. Your First Swim Test Visit Michael Phelps’ Twitter Page http://www.twitter.com/michaelphelps How many followers does @BlueWaterBmore have? Name one Twitter user who posted a comment about today’s conference, #SOCMEDBTCMP Is @MyBGE still tweeting about the recent widespread power outages?
19. Once You’re Treading Twitter Water...Follow some of my tweroes (Twitter heroes!): @subelsky @rosettathurman @roswellencina @Dara_Laine @kbladow @manwomanstatue @kanter @RoamingGnome @jcravens42 @thefrontroweFellow nonprofit organizations doing a great job: @VolunteerMD @KidsAreHeroes @ignitebaltimore @PublicAlliesMD @NonprofitOrgs @HandsonNetwork @prattlibrary @MDFoodBank @The6thBranch @BaltimoreMD
20. Learn More About Twitter Resources: • Twitter 101 for Nonprofits: slides at http://www.slideshare.net/franswaa/twitter-101-for- nonprofits • Socialbrite.org • Disruptivedemographics.com • Beth Kanter’s Blog (co-author of book, The Networked Nonprofit) • Gabe O’Neill’s “A Straightforward Approach to Twitter” (@kidsareheroes) Dive Deeper Into Twitter: • Measure account traffic • Scheduling tweets • Documenting Twitter strategy • Social Media dashboards
21. Thank You! Dana Schwartz (@dschwrtzeports) Partnership & Education Manager Business Volunteers Unlimited Maryland (@BVUMaryland) email@example.com 410-366-6030 x206 OPTIONAL TAKE HOME EXAM: Write me a tweet using #swimmies4twitter!