2. INTRODUCTION Imagine that you were someone whohad never been to a Christian servicebefore. Then you went when a friendinvited you and you saw people going up to the front to eat and drink thesethings. What are some questions that might go through your mind?
3. STUDYING GOD’S WORD What do we receive in the Lord’s Supper?
4. Matthew 26:17-25 17 On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Where do youwant us to make preparations for you to eat the Passover?” 18 He replied, “Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, ‘The Teacher says: My appointedtime is near. I am going to celebrate the Passover with my disciples at your house.’” 19 So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them and prepared the Passover.
5. Matthew 26:17-25 20 When evening came, Jesus wasreclining at the table with the Twelve. 21 And while they were eating, he said, “I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me.”22 They were very sad and beganto say to him one after the other, “Surely not I, Lord?” 23 Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me.
6. Matthew 26:17-25 24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that manwho betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.” 25 Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely not I, Rabbi?” Jesus answered, “Yes, it is you.”
7. The sacrament was instituted by Jesus during the Passover meal on the night of His death. At a birthday party there is always a cake and candles and“Happy Birthday” is sung. Imagine thatat your birthday party someone wanted to sing a new song that no one hadever heard before. Everyone would be surprised. At the Passover certain things were always done, said and sung. The disciples must have been surprised when Jesus changed what everyone was used to doing.
8. Matthew 26:26-29 26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”27 Then hetook the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of thecovenant, which is poured out for manyfor the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father’s kingdom.”
9. In a natural way, we receive the bread and wine just as the disciples did. In some churches they only use grape juice because they say it is wrong to drink alcohol. We know that Jesus drank wine because that is the only fruit of the vine available in Aprilwithout refrigeration. Fall is the grape harvest.
10. Matthew 26:26-2826 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Takeand eat; this is my body.”27 Then hetook the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
11. In a miraculous way, we receive Christ’s body and blood. Just think, the same body which the soldiers nailed to the cross we receive. Thesame blood which flowed from Jesus’wounds, which flowed through Jesus’veins as he died for us all, we receive. What a miracle!
12. 1 Corinthians 10:16Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?
13. The bread and wine are in, with and under the body and blood of Christ in Holy Communion. Don’t misunderstand. We’re not saying Jesus’ body and blood are trapped inside the bread and wine, sort of likecream in a Twinkie. They are united ina way that we cannot fully understand or comprehend. Jesus words are a miracle we accept by faith.
14. Jesus instituted this Holy Supper in which we receive the body and blood of our Lord in, with and under the bread and wine in miraculous, Holy Communion.
15. What does the Bible “Really” say about Holy Communion? Who teaches it: THE BIBLE ROMAN CATHOLIC REFORMED CHURCHES CHURCH Name of the doctrine: Real Presence Transubstantiation RepresentationSummary of the Doctrine: Partakers of the Lord’s Partakers of the Lord’s Partakers of the Lord’s Supper receive the body Supper receive only the Supper receive only the and blood of our Lord “in, body and blood of Christ bread and wine, which are with, and under” the bread symbolic of the body and and wine. blood of Christ Reason for belief in the Matthew 26:26-29 False belief that the Lord’s Human reason doctrine: Mark 14:22-25 Supper is not a sacrament, Luke 22:18-20 but a sacrifice. Christ is “re- 1 Corinthians 11:23-29 sacrificed” over and over for the forgiveness of sins.
16. GOD’S WORD IN MY LIFEExplain: How could the disciples havereceived the Lord’s body and blood asthey ate the first Lord’s Supper? Wasn’tJesus right in front of them sitting at atable, not in their mouths?Question: What if someone asked youthis question: “When you receive theLord’s Supper, are you chewing andswallowing into your stomach Christ’sbody and blood?” How would youanswer
17. What is a last will and testament?How is that like the Lord’s supper?
18. CHRISTIAN VOCABULARYHoly Communion: The sacrament inwhich the body and blood of JesusChrist are given to us “in union with”bread and wine for forgiveness of sins.Real Presence: The miraculouspresence of Jesus’ real body with thebread and real blood with the wine inthe Lord’s Supper.
19. CHRISTIAN VOCABULARYTransubstantiation: Teaching of theCatholic church that the bread andwine actually change into the body andbloodRepresentation: The bread and wineare only symbols of Jesus’ body andblood—no body and blood are present
20. STUDYING GOD’S WORDHow do we know Jesus body and blood are present?
21. 1 Corinthians 11:26-28 26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. 27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty ofsinning against the body and blood ofthe Lord. 28 A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.
22. Paul plainly states that we are sinningagainst the body and blood of the Lord. Pull out your wallet and say, “Here is $20.” Notice, I didn’t say, here is mywallet. It is obvious there is $20 insideand the same is true with Jesus words to his disciples.
23. Matthew 26:26-2826 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”27 Then hetook the cup, gave thanks and offeredit to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
24. Jesus clearly states, “This is my body”, “This is my blood.” Some think that since Jesus is in heaven,he can’t be at every celebration of the Lord’s supper in body and blood.Remember Jesus is God and fills the whole universe.
25. Luke 1:37For nothing is impossible with God.” We know that nothing is impossiblewith God so we take Him at His word. God made the whole universe withnothing but his word. That Jesus can give his true body and blood in the sacrament is a drop in the bucketcompared to what God did in creating the world.
26. We know that Jesus’ body and bloodare really in the sacrament becauseJesus clearly states it and nothing is impossible for him.
27. GOD’S WORD IN MY LIFEEvaluate this statement: Since Jesussays, “Do this in remembrance of me, “we know that the Lord’s Supper ismainly a reminder of what he did for us.Explain: Why would it be wrong toattend the Lord’s Supper in acongregation that does not confessJesus’ real presence in the Sacrament,together with the bread and wine?
28. Hymnology Hymn 312Lord Jesus Christ, You Have Prepared STUDYING GOD’S WORD What great blessings does Jesus give us in the Lord’s Supper?
29. Matthew 26:28 This is my blood of the covenant,which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
30. In the Lord’s Supper, Jesus gives us the forgiveness of sin. Let’s say you were stranded and starving on an island 2000 miles from home. Enemies came by and tied a 100lb weight to your legs and threw you in the ocean. What’s your biggest problem? The weight needs to betaken care of first. So to in the Lord’s Supper. Jesus takes care of theweight of sin that will drag us down to death first and foremost.
31. Romans 5:9Since we have now been justified byhis blood, how much more shall webe saved from God’s wrath through him!
32. Through the forgiveness of sins, Jesus also gives us life andsalvation. One problem still remains from our ocean disaster. We’re not going to die from the weight, but we’re still a long way from home. Then we are rescued by someone who loves us and sends us ahelicopter. Jesus rescues us and he sends us home to heaven.
33. Luke 22:19-20 19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them,saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 20 Inthe same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.
34. This Body and Blood of Jesus is given “For You!” Let’s say that I invited you to my house. Which way would you know for sure that I wanted youpersonally to come: If I put a notice on the bulletin board telling you to come, or if I gave you a personal invitation with your name on it? Jesus puts hisown body and blood in your mouth and says “for you” and “for you” and “for you”… (pointing to each student)
35. In the Lord’s Supper Jesus’ body and blood were givenand shed for me and I receive forgiveness of sins, life and salvation.
36. STUDYING GOD’S WORD How can the Lord’s Suppergive us such great blessings?
37. John 6:63The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.
38. Jesus’ words give the Lord’s Supper this great power. In baptism, using water without the word is just plain water. In Communion, just eating bread and wine would be nothingmore than eating food. With Jesus’ powerful words added, it is communion that gives us the great spiritual blessings God promised.
39. Romans 10:17 Consequently, faith comes fromhearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. Through Jesus’ words the Holy Spirit also strengthens our faith. Automatic doors have an electronic eye with a beam you can’t see but it makes an impact on whatever walks into it andcauses the door to open. God’s Wordworks that way. It isn’t just information, it’s power. You can’t see it, but it causes us to believe what it tells us.
40. The Lord’s Supper can offer such great blessings because of Jesus’ words though which theHoly Spirit strengthens our faith.
41. GOD’S WORD IN MY LIFEAgree or disagree and why? Theforgiveness we receive here in theLord’s Supper is better than baptism,because here we receive Jesus’ bodyand blood.
42. ASSIGNMENT FOR NEXT TIMEREVIEWING THE LESSON1. Review your notes; be sure you understand them. Be prepared for a written or oral quiz. Don’t forget about the vocabulary words!2. The Bible passages are included in the part of Holy Communion to be learned.PREPARING FOR THE NEXT LESSONAsk your parents to help you with the following activity:1. Complete the Bible History Worksheet.Learn the Confession of our FaithSacrament of Holy Communion (Page 13 in your Catechism) THE INSTITUTION OF THE HOLY COMMUNION First: What is the Sacrament of Holy Communion? (to the end)
43. 19 God’s ToolsHoly Communion - Be Prepared
44. INTRODUCTIONWhat do you normally do to prepare for a meal? Would you change anything if you’re going to eat a very fancy andexpensive restaurant? How would you prepare? Now imagine that you weregoing to eat at the White house with thepresident and be on national television. You would probably make even morepreparations. We are invited to eat with God in His supper and we want to be well prepared. We want to receive Jesus’ body and blood rightly.
45. STUDYING GOD’S WORD How does God want me toprepare to receive his meal—the Lord’s Supper?
46. 1 Corinthians 11:28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.
47. God wants me to examine myself.Before a pilot takes off or an astronauttakes off, there is a whole check list of things that they take care of. “Fuel" -"Check” " Wing flaps" - "Check” etc.There is whole check list of things that we need to do before we receive the Lord’s Supper.
48. 1 John 1:8-9 8 If we claim to be without sin, wedeceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he isfaithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
49. God wants me to examine myself tosee if I am sorry for my sins. When a waitress comes by at a restaurant, she doesn’t pour more water in a fullglass. It’s the same way if you are not sorry for your sins, you think that you are full already and don’t need forgiveness. You are deceiving yourself, and so you aren’t ready to go to Communion.
50. Luke 22:19-2019 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance ofme.” 20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.
51. God wants me to examine myself to see if I believe that Jesus’ body andblood are truly present. Give examplesof times that we can examine ourselves before Communion. Before church, during the offering, and during the distribution if you are not in the front row.
52. 1 Corinthians 11:27, 2927 Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty ofsinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.
53. If we don’t believe in Jesus’ body andblood, we receive it in an unworthy wayand receive God’s judgment instead ofhis blessing. The Lord’s Supper is like strong medicine. If you take it in a different way than prescribed, instead of helping you it will always hurt you spiritually.
54. God wants me to examinemyself to make sure that I am well prepared to receive Holy Communion properly. USING OUR HYMNALSee “Private Confession” on page 156 infront of the hymnal
55. GOD’S WORD IN MY LIFE Agree or Disagree and why?Everyone who goes to the Lord’sSupper receives Jesus’ body and blood. Evaluate: Faith makes us worthyguests to the Lords Supper becausefaith is the only thing that we can offer toGod which can earn His love andforgiveness.
56. STUDYING GOD’S WORD Therefore, to whom does Godwant us to give the Lord’s Supper?
57. 1 Corinthians 11:23-26 23 For I received from the Lord what Ialso passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had giventhanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup,saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
58. Repentant Believers who have been educated in the meaning of the Lord’s Supper are to receive it. Jesus gives us an example in the first supper. Many more men and women believed in Jesus, but he only gave the supper to the eleven disciples. We still don’t give it tosecond graders or even to infants as some churches do.
59. 1 Corinthians 10:17Because there is one loaf, we, who aremany, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.
60. God wants us to give it only to those who are united in faith with us.Explain how you try to make it clear to visitors through the notice in theworship folders, etc. We are not tryingto say they are not Christians, but we are trying to protect them from confessing unity with us withoutknowing whether or not we are united and/or from bringing Gods judgment on themselves.
61. God wants us to give the Lords Supper only to repentant believerswho have been thoroughly educated in the Christian faith and who are one in faith with us.
62. GOD’S WORD IN MY LIFEAgree or Disagree and why? Weshould be able to attend the LordsSupper in any Lutheran Church.Evaluate this statement: When wedeny the Lords Supper to a sincereChristian, we are being proud and notvery loving.
63. WHAT HAPPENS AT THE LORDS TABLE: THE HOLY GOD The Lord’sGOD’S CHILDREN GOD’S CHILDREN GOD’S CHILDREN Supper
64. In the Lord’s Supper we celebrate the vertical relationship between God and his children as represented by the arrows going up and down. There is another relationship that we celebrateas represented by the horizontal arrows - a unity of fellow Christians based on our confession of faith.
65. The study of Gods Word together and the confessing of that faith in public isthe practice that we call "confirmation". Celebrating the Lord Supper on the basis of this unity is known as "close communion."HYMNOLOGY Hymn 310 I Come, O Savior, to Your Table
66. CHRISTIAN VOCABULARYConfirmation - a strengthening given indirected Bible Study, after which anindividual confesses faith in Jesus andunity of faith with a body of believers.Close Communion - the practice ofadmitting to the Lords Supper onlythose who confess faith in Jesus andunity of faith with a body of believers.
67. The goal:1.) so that the participant doesntreceive the Supper in an "unworthymatter"2.) that the unity of believerscelebrated in the Lords Supper may bemaintained
68. STUDYING GOD’S WORDWhy does Jesus invite us to receive the Lords Supper often?
69. 1 Corinthians 11:25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this,whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”
70. Jesus urges us to come often. We are baptized once, but Jesus invites us to come to the Lord’s Supper often. If a good friend urges you to come over tohis/her house often, that person doesnt mean once or twice a year, but whenever you can.
71. Matthew 26:28This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. Through the Lords Supper, Jesus wants to comfort us with theforgiveness of our sins often. You just never get tired of the people in your family saying, "I love you.“ We cannever receive Gods forgiveness, given in love, too often.
72. Colossians 2:6-76 So then, just as you received ChristJesus as Lord, continue to live in him, 7 rooted and built up in him,strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
73. Jesus keeps on strengthening ourfaith though the Lords Supper. Eventhough we eat and drink very little in the Lords Supper, it gives us a realstrength. It strengthens our faith that Jesus died for each of us.
74. 2 Corinthians 5:15 And he died for all, that those who liveshould no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
75. Jesus strengthens us to live a life of thanks to him. Lets say that a friend helps you with a problem you face such as taking care of your paper route when you are on vacation.When he does this, wouldnt it be your natural reaction to show your thanks to him in a special way? Knowing what God gives us in the Lords Supper also makes us thankful andstrengthens us to live a life that shows that thanks to God.
76. Hebrews 10:25Let us not give up meeting together,as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
77. By receiving the Lords Supper withfellow members, we confess our unity and encourage one another. You could watch the same ball game at home and at the stadium, and probably cheer very differently. At home you might watch but not saymuch of anything when you are alone.While at the stadium you would stand, whistle, cheer and clap. Why?Because so many people are doing it with you that you share the same interest and encourage you.
78. Jesus invites us to receive theLords Supper often so that he can keep on comforting uswith the forgiveness of sinsand strengthening us in our faith.
79. GOD’S WORD IN MY LIFEEvaluate: Martin Luther wrote in hisLarge Catechism that if you do not feelas if you need to go to the LordsSupper often, "Pinch yourselves andsee if you are still flesh and blood… Inthe second place, evaluate if you arestill a sinner. Or, if you do not knowwhether you are, ask your neighbor."Why do you think he suggested suchthings?
80. Agree or Disagree and why? Itwould be better for a congregation tooffer the Lords Supper every Sunday, rather than to offer it every other Sunday.
81. Explain: Some people might look atthe practice of "close communion" and say it is unloving because it prevents some people from taking the Lords Supper temporarily. But on the basis of what we have learned in this study, explain how practicing close communion actually shows love to Gods Word and to the individual that we ask to wait. Explain how it would be unloving not to practice close communion.
82. ASSIGNMENT FOR NEXT TIMEREVIEWING THE LESSON1. Review your notes; be sure you understand them. Be prepared for a written or oral quiz. Don’t forget about the vocabulary words!2. Know from memory 1 Corinthians 10:17.PREPARING FOR THE NEXT LESSONAsk your parents to help you with the following activity:1. Complete the Bible History Worksheet.Learn the Confession of our FaithSacrament of Holy Communion (Page 14 in your Catechism) The Reception of Holy Communion Fourth: Who, then, is properly prepared to receive this sacrament?