CommunicationConstruction of KnowledgeCollaboration
Included in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and the Experience Pack for Windows XP Tablet Edition, Snipping Tool fits into a perfect niche for many users. For those of you who don't need high-powered screen capture tools, the basic functionality of Snipping Tool allows you to capture the whole screen, individual windows, or user-specified capture areas. Snipping Tool also has extremely basic editing functions, like the ability to highlight and write on your screen captures. It lacks the more advanced features included in other screen capture tools, but it does a great job filling the gap between the frustrating Print Screen and Paste style screen capture in earlier versions of Windows and more advanced applications. Snipping Tool is a solid choice if you've already got it on your system and your screen capture needs are minimal and far between.
Snagit is as far removed from the classic Print Screen school of screen captures as possible. Snagit helps you capture both still images and grab frames from video. You can capture your entire screen or regions of it, and thanks to a robust profile system, you can create profiles for all manner of capture techniques. Whether you only want to generate a screen capture after a menu is activated or you want every screen capture to be automatically uploaded to a server, you can create a Snagit profile to fit your purpose. On top of the highly customizable feature set, Snagit offers a built in editor for annotating your screenshots and adding basic effects. Finally, the app's screenshot organizer keeps your grabs in order with date, name, and tag-based searching. Snagit also has the ability to easily capture images from objects that are larger than the screen.
FastStone Capture lives up to the fast in its name; this application is lightweight and extremely responsive. It doesn't have a large interface, but within the tiny user interface is a screen capturing workhorse. FastStone Capture can capture multiple windows, regions, and multi-level menus. You can set it to automatically upload screenshots to an FTP server, send them by email, or embed them into a Word or Power Point presentation. In addition, this flexible tool includes a basic but very effective screencasting tool that supports audio input. FastStone Capture can be set to automatically prompt your for a caption with preset options, which makes bulk-producing screenshots a snap. Another small but handy feature is the built in color picker for easy color sampling.
Skitch is a screen capture tool in the same vein as Jing. Skitch the application is closely tied to Skitch.com, the screen capture hosting site. Skitch captures your screen, annotates it, draws on it with swanky graphics, and when you're ready, sharing it online is as easy as saving it to your desktop. If you don't want to use Skitch.com to share your screenshots, you can just as easily use your own FTP, Flickr, or .Mac account. The interface of Skitch is particularly user friendly; nearly all the editing functions are laid out in a ring around your screen capture, making it easy to find the tool you're looking for.
Capture what you see.Initiate a capture by clicking Jing's happy, always-ready "sun" icon...or pressing a hotkey of your choice. You can capture a window, pane, or region. Make a point.Need to emphasize or explain? Mark up your screenshot with a basic text box, arrow, highlight, or rectangle. Share instantly.Just tell Jing where to send the screenshot and—BAM!—it's there and ready to share. When you send to a destination like Screencast.com or Flickr, Jing even places a hyperlink on your clipboard. No need to wait.Simply paste (CTRL-V or Command-V) the link into an IM chat, email, forum post, Twitter, anywhere...and when the person clicks it they see your freshly-uploaded screenshot. Like magic.
Jing is the spartan baby brother of another screenshot tool, Snagit, both of which are products produced by software company TechSmith. Jing fills a niche in the screen capture crowd, allowing folks who want to share their screen captures to do so as quickly as possible. When you install Jing and set up an account at Screencast.com, you can also set Jing to upload to your Flickr account or YouTube account. Once you've set it up, going from capturing a screenshot or screencast to sharing the URL for your hosted file takes a matter of seconds. Jing has basic annotation tools, but the real draw is speedy sharing. Upgrading to Jing Pro for $15 a year removes the Jing branding from your images and video and adds in a few features, like the ability to record your screencasts in MPEG in addition to Flash.
Digital communication toolThat means users can work on and enjoy Voicethread presentations at any time--even if their "partners" are sleeping a million miles away!Let's face it--sometimes working with digital partners can be pretty boring. After all, email and discussion boards are nothing more than written text. Voicethread gives users something interesting to talk about---pictures! What's more, being able to actually hear one another makes digital communication through Voicethread much more personal.
Project types are collaborative, comments, and narration of still photos
Ferriter. William C. (2010). Digitally Speaking, http://digitallyspeaking.pbworks.com/w/page/17791585/Voicethread—@plugusin on Twitter—is a sixth-grade teacher in a professional learning community (PLC) near Raleigh, North Carolina. A National Board Certified Teacher
1. Teach, Tutor, and Assess Using Screen Captures and Recordings for Teaching, Training, Tutoring, and Assessing ISTE 2012 Cynthia Sistek-Chandler, Ed D email@example.com National University, Assistant Professor Masters of Science in Educational and Instructional Technology President of San Diego CUE2/9/2012 1
2. Tech Time • Tech Check/Web 2.0 • 3-C’s • Teach, Tutor, & Assess • Course Introductions • Screen Capture • What is Jing? • What are Voicethreads? • Camtasia • Adobe Connect web recorders2/9/2012 2
3. Web 2.0
4. Screen Capture• Why use them?• How to use them?• What tools to use?
5. Snipping ToolIncluded in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and theExperience Pack for Windows XP Tablet Edition
6. Snag-It Screenshot Capture and Organizer
7. FastStone Capture Tool (Windows $20.00)Built-In Color Picker
8. SkitchSkitch.com Free applicationDrawing with swanky Graphics
9. Grab Mac Only
10. Mini-Multimedia-Me’sVoki MecchandlerVoicethread Course Introhttp://voicethread.com/book.swf?b=306297Eyejot (Instead of eMail)
11. Jing/ScreenCast Add visuals to your online conversations. Instead of typing at people, show them what you are talking about…pronto. “Jing is a great ‘quick and dirty’ solution for producing simple video tutorials in a hurry.” -Dave Kaminski Web Video University Blog2/9/2012 11
12. What is Jing Pro? Now ScreenCast Snap. Record. Share.2/9/2012 12
13. Jing by TechSmith
14. What you will need: • Microphone / Headset • Internet Connection • Application download http://www.techsmith.com/download/jing/ • Jing and ScreenCast2/9/2012 14
15. Preparation• Audience and Purpose• Prepare a short script• Narration is key• PPT or Prezi slides• Screen Capture Windows• Upload to Website• Share with students/colleagues/parents2/9/2012 15
16. Jing/Screencast in Action Scott Moss, Associate Faculty, National University Middle School Teacher @ Innovations, SD City Schools Inserting a Voki into Moodle • http://www.screencast.com/t/kjq6YCTbQ Uploading a PDF File to Moodle • http://www.screencast.com/t/DxtHNNo5 Embedding a Video into eCollege • http://screencast.com/t/ty4k0yq4y2/9/2012 16
17. ScreenCast Assessment of Student Work• ScreenCast Assessment of Prospectus
18. Jing in Action Recording of Jing Presentation2/9/2012 19
19. Demonstration of Jing• Login to Screencast• Where is the file stored?• Web delivered• Easy to use2/9/2012 20
20. What is Voicethread? https://voicethread.com/share/1397335/ Voicethreadis Asynchronous Voicethread is Engaging Voicethread Creates Dialogue/Conversation/Comments Penn State2/9/2012 21
21. Project Samples 57 Samples at website ranging from Digital Storytelling to Collaborative Writing Assignments2/9/2012 22
22. ProjectsPictures Around the Worldhttp://digitallyspeaking.pbworks.com/w/page/17791585/Voicethread#WhatisVoicethread http://my-ecoach.com/project.php?id=127662/9/2012 23
23. Demonstration of Voicethread www.voicethread.com 1-Minute Video https://voicethread.com/share/8381/ http://voicethread.com/?#u1365163.b1397335.i74012602/9/2012 24
24. ResourcesCamtasia Relay (Tech Smith)Ferriter. W. C. (2010). DigitallySpeaking, http://digitallyspeaking.pbworks.com/w/page/17791585/VoicethreadFisher, M. (2009) Image Web 2.0Moss, S. & Sistek-Chandler, C. (March 2012). Em’bed and Breakfast.https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0Ad3JzwIvrxy_ZGZmNjQ2Z3hfMTQ1ZnNrYmdxZm0Sistek-Chandler, C. (2012).http://my-ecoach.com/project.php?id=18294&project_step=87865VoicethreadsVokiwww.Voki.com2/9/2012 25
25. The Beginning Questions? One take away Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com www.sdcue.org2/9/2012 26