1. This document covers the origin ,
the plan, the framework, strategy
and process steps towards
Engineering EscapeOrganization Change Transformation
Author:Dr. Sarma- 15-july-2011
2. 1. Change management - Project
The following is a gist of the case study including the frame work adopted-and
presents the strategy/plan/process/methodologies and key steps involved in this
organizational transformation project led by HR
Why change:This question was raised at the executive management
committee when faced with stunted growth, falling margins, growing
competition.The vision of the CEO is to move quickly from 10 million to 100
million and that seems impossible without change in the way the company
is now positioned, perceived. The vision was also to be category killer in BI.
some introspection brought us to the conclusion thatchangemust happen
• The triggar-Challeging the status quo
• The motivation- 7x valuation
• Situationala analysis- frog in the beaker
• The plan- 25 degree turn
• Early adoption- atleast 15% of total population
• Acceleration- within 6 months , buyin 100% from managers
• review weekly / modify- alter plan monthly
3. 3. Examine: SWOT
Strength: large BI skill pool, loyal customer base.
Weakness: lack of market penetration, lopsided brand image, limited geographic
cover, lack of skill in big data
Opportunities: Large BI market Potential.Gartner Magic Quadrant did say that We
are to be watched one year back
Threats: competition always is lowering bill rate and Services is not the business we
want to be in anymore.
Perception Gap analysis:
What we think and what the customer perceives is our biggest Risk
Needs image makeover
The CEO’sPerception of the company was based on what he believed in. While
reality was that the company was far more dependent on software services
business, whichgave the revenue for 15 years.
The trigger question :to accelerate growth what we need to do new and what we
need to drop- how do we move from 10 million to 100million in 5 years and become
super category killer in BI domain
What are those things that we won’t do anymoreand what we will start doing now
onwards that will propel exponential growth
What are those things that we need to selectively abandon?
4. 4. What is our DNA? And what should be?
The vision statement needs reexamination
Our Vision: Being Category killer in Data and Analytic
Our DNA should be D&A-Data and analytics
5. 5. The model-The Frame work for changeTool and
Technology skills wont take us there
Attention: Start communicating about the management thinking three
months in advance Be ProactiveDr.sarma/2011/change
6. Knowledge—Assess current level of business understanding at floor level.
How much knowledge about the Organizational priorities exist- check this
Awareness- create sufficient awareness of the market For BI
Desire— Need for HR to inspire /motivate people to change
Comprehension—keeps checking the questions/doubts/Apprehensions.
Conviction—prepare those who are easily convinced
Action—get everyone to learn new BI-Consulting skills- 5 levels- &
dimension-AS Program-accelerate implementation
Reinforcement—support with new incentive plan for PCGP-Prescriptive
Transformation- aim at creating 25 % conversion of tool experts to be BIexperts -- can we create125 “fellows” in 3 years
The sponsors-HR -Head/CEO/CSO
Point 1: To move from good intentions to good results, realize that effective change
management is more than just a few communication steps
Point 2: To move from good intentions to good results, realize that the “change
leaders “are “living” in the future state, while everyone else “the people to be
changed” are s living in the past or present state
Point 3: To move beyond good intentions, effective change management MUST
focus on enablingindividual’s tochange process.
7. Point 4: Individual changeis gradualprocess- but we can’t waste too much time
Point 5: To move faster select and use the tools available
Point 6: get the right people with positive attitude involved and engaged
Point 7: Begin with end in mind. Measure the “right” things for this change, at the
organizational level and the individual level
6. The plan for Mentoring /Training/coaching
Engineering the Escape: 5 sessions to managers only
Escape velocity—5 sessions- customized for each level
PAL /P/-- 2 session 16 hours
AP/EM//PM/Architects- 5 sessions of 8 hours each-40 hours
SR.Consultants/Consultants—6 sessions of 4 hours each-24 hours
Total 10 man days
Repeat Every two months
Use town hall- every two months
All managers to hold one on one
Senior executives-carry out selective breakfast sessions with
Purpose; removing fear
8. Benchmarking findings
causes of resistance
1. The Consultants are notaware or not knowing the business need for
change despite transparent communication in all our
8. communications. Error in wrong messaging when sales guys speak
of growth every quarter.
2. Worst fear--Lay-offs due to skill redundancy. Especially those who
cannot pick up Business skills
3. Unsure whether they had the skills needed and can develop for
success in the future state .Our Belief system is “ everyone can and
4. Comfort with the current state .i am billing so why bother-“Frog in
5. Many employeesbelievedthat they will be asked to do more with
6. If I can earn same pay outside without additional learning efforts
why bother- HR hears this from few
1. Fear of Loss of power /dilution of status and control
2. Fear of losing people consequently losing billing revenue-resulting
in their own earnings through bonus/incentive
3. Overloaded of responsibilities /lesser compensation
4. Lack of urgencyof the need for change though many agree.
5. Lack ofskills to build or sell solutions.
6. Fear, that it will take more time to transform
7. Who will benefit from change?
9. 9. To succeed in change we must address the people
Challenging the status quo: Solution is designed, developed –hire
data scientists/solution engineering teams/SME in health
care/insurance vertical and delivered effectively
Solution is embraced, adopted and utilized effectively
(People side)= CHANGE SUCCESS criteria- if the average billing
rate is >105;125 Fellow level
Armored Employee—As is and to be- 400Sqaure—none in Fellow- to be 125 fellow in two
5 levels of competency maturity/growth path.
Each Consultant to be assessed after they complete the
requisite number of training courses every year.
Support systems: PRESCRIPTIVE CAREER GUIDANCE PLAN.PCGP-Developed collaboratively with line managers.
Tool-Skill port.- configure 200 courses across 7 dimensionsTarget 40 hours per quarter-use external programs
Assessment center-annual assessment
5 Levels: for meaurement
11. Seven Dimensions to grow and mature
12. 12-Sample Role Re-design
The new role requires –unlearn and relearn certain habits; especially the way sales
Culture shift Focus : 1- Shared meaning, (H); 2-outcome orientation(begin with end
in mind),(H) ;3-Aggressiveness,(H) ;4-Team orientation(M)
Priorities in bracket
Rewrite all job descriptions to focus on 4 behavioral focus areas for measure
Change the way we reward
The project was run for 24 months . Continuous monitoring was key factor for