4. When were people actually not happy?
Walk to Look for Read screen Find Jostle for Wait Identify bag Lift bag Carry out
baggage screen carrousel position
5. #1 Expectation vs. performance gap.
6. The baggage alarm rings 2 mins before the 1st bag comes
7. #2 We maximize.
Barry Schwartz, Andrew Ward, John Monterosso, Sonja Lyubomirsky, Katherine White and Darrin Lehman, “Maximizing Versus Satisficing: Happiness is a Matter of
Choice,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 2002: Vol.83, No.5, pp:1178-1197.
8. “Deciding where to stand, is like preparing for war”
– British Airways passenger
9. “One time I couldn’t lift my bag quick enough and I felt so
embarrassed. You have to outsmart the belt.”
10. #3 Every pain emotion is evoked.
11. When asked, only 15% of passengers could identify their plane by their flight number.
12. #4 Baggage claim is the last hurdle
until we reach meaning.
James (1860); Markus and Kunda (1986);
14. #5 No control, at all.
“it is not sufficient to have more choice, we need to feel in
control of these choices to be happier.”
Paolo Verme, “Happiness, Freedom and Control,” Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, August 2009:Vol. 71 Issue 2, pp: 146-161
15. “I have no control, at all. What if my bags are on a different continent?”
- American Airlines passenger
16. Not just the passengers.
What about the…
People picking you up?
17. “Airlines aren’t allowed to post signs, play music, add plants or decorate baggage claim”
- Baggage Claim Manager, Virgin America
18. #6 Lack of meaning. Can’t see impact.
19. Watch carefully.
20. We want it to take a long time.
The more time it takes, the most customers
spend at duty free. We’ve done the match to
- Airport Executive
21. How can we make baggage
claim a happier?
22. Idea. Outsource to Fedex
Why? Adds control.
Carves out area of
incompetence. Lets you
get to everyone you want
to see faster.
23. Idea. 2-way webcam between baggage handlers
and waiting passengers.
Why? Personalizes impact on
24. Idea. Add a splash of color!
Why? Aids least happy moment.
25. Idea. Luggage vending machine
Why? Adds control. Eliminates need to maximize. Lets you get
to everyone you want to see faster.
26. Idea. RFID tag each bag
Send SMS of actual
personalized ETA to
passenger and friends
waiting to pick them up.
Why? Adds control.
Reduces expectation vs.
27. vs. vs. You!
Idea. Align incentives. Airlines pay airport.
Why? Adds meaning. Creates advocate.
28. Idea. Small rewards. Hand out
sandwiches. Or martinis. Make
the last touch point with the