How to publish?
• Know – what is published!
• Read literature, journals.
• Attend conferences, interact with peers and
• Maintain records and clinical images.
• Review your records periodically.
• Develop a research plan.
Types of manuscripts
Letter to the editor.
Writing for publication
• Write for a specific audience.
• Research the market.
• Target the Journal.
– Impact factor.
– Subject specific.
• Different from Thesis writing.
Use journal checklist, instruction to authors.
Be simple and concise.
Do not write complex sentences.
Know your audience, know your subject, know
your purpose of writing.
• If your writing can be interpreted in more than
one ways, its wrong.
• Identify an ideal article from the selected journal.
• Use credits – Statistician,Photographer,etc.
Identify main issue of paper.
Accurate, unambiguos,specific and complete.
Does not have abbreviations.
• Common causes of rejection:
– Not adhering to journal formatting/word
– Papers focus is not within the scope of the journal.
What does a reviewer look for?
Journals have their guidelines.
Originality of work.
Novelty of the concept.
Coverage of relevant literature.
Clarity of writing- readability,
organisation,clarity of thoughts, technical
quality of the paper.
• Appropriate title and abstract.
• Sound conclusion and relevant discussion.
• Length of paper relative to its usefulness.
• Appropriate use of Clinical images.
Modify- Major changes.
Most of our barriers are more mental than physical…….