3. Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
6. When you encounter difficulties and contradictions, do not try to break them, but bend them with gentleness and time. -Saint Francis de Sales
7. I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong. -Leo Rosten
9. BIBLE READING 1 Thessalonians 2:1-12
10. 1 For yourselves, brethren, know our entrance in unto you, that it was not in vain: 2 But even after that we had suffered before, and were shamefully entreated, as ye know, at Philippi, we were bold in our God to speak unto you the gospel of God with much contention. 3 For our exhortation was not of deceit, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile: 4 But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts. 5 For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloke of covetousness; God is witness: 6 Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor yet of others, when we might have been burdensome, as the apostles of Christ.
11. 7 But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children: 8 So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us. 9 For ye remember, brethren, our labour and travail: for labouring night and day, because we would not be chargeable unto any of you, we preached unto you the gospel of God. 10 Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe: 11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children, 12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.
12. The word gentleness conjures up wrong images for some people. It may denote a syrupy, self-denying quality. Or a quality which women have but “real men” do not!
13. On the other hand, gentleness may be something we want very much. But we feel discouraged because the whole make-up of our personality is so far from being gentle.
14. The Apostle Paul’s treatment of the Thessalonians provides a model of the gentleness God desires in us.
16. 1. Think of those who have helped you most to grow in Christ. What are some qualities you appreciate in them? 2. According to Paul in 1 Thessalonians 2:1-12, what are some wrong ways to share Christ with others (vv. 3-6)? 3. Give an example of how we might make an appeal to a non-Christian using tricks or flattery. 4. How might a Pastor/ Christian worker use his job as a mask of greed? 5. In contrast, what were Paul’s motives for sharing Christ with the Thessalonians? 6. Why are pure motives important?
17. 7. How was Paul like a mother to the Thessalonians (vv. 7-9)? 8. In what ways can we share “not only the Gospel of God but our lives as well” with those around us? What might this mean in terms of time, energy, money and vulnerability? 9. How was Paul also like a father to the Thessalonians (vv.10-12)? 10. Why is it important for gentleness (v. 7) to be tempered with the qualities and goal mentioned in v. 12?
18. 11. In what practical ways can we encourage, comfort and urge people to live lives worthy of God? 12. Think of those in whose lives you might exercise the kind of ministry demonstrated by Paul. How could gentleness enhance these relationships? As you relate to others with your own unique personality and style, how can you express gentleness? 13. Ask God to help you be an example of gentleness and sacrificial love to these people.