Adding Audio to Story Design Using Audacity
- added to a story as a sound bite or as part of an audio slideshow
- Can be interviews , music, natural sound, narration
- Best to make it only 2-3 minutes maximum
- What I’d like you to try for your multimedia stories.
- You can download audacity for yourself to work outside of class/lab
- Also: you might want an ITunes account
- Need one for converting files from our digital recorders.
- Can’t run in labs, so I’ll bring my laptop next class for demo.
- Can go to a site with podcasts , click “subscribe via Itunes”
About Audio and Wordpress
- Need an upgraded account with to “embed” or directly upload audio.
- So instead must upload it to Otterbein web server or other host and link to it.
Getting Started with Audacity
- Software is unstable, so save often (.aup file)
- Sound files need to be in correct format
- Our digital recorders use WMA.
- Must convert to WAV using ITunes or other converter (I did this for you)
- Watch now, try it in a minute with a sample (long!) clip from an interview.
- I’ll show you “down-n-dirty” techniques, and you use audio clip to try it.
Interface and Tools
- Use selection tool to get clips you want.
- Use “time shift” tool to move them in order you want
- Then can refine timing and fades, levels later.
- Any track is made of multiple clips.
- If tracks overlap, so will the sound.
- Use “stop” instead of “pause” buttons.
- Can use space bar to start and stop playback
- If selection tool active, can click in diff. parts of tracks to preview that part.
- Track runs vertically across software window (this is long interview)
- Can zoom in; time “ruler” goes from minutes to seconds
- If lost, Under “view” “Fit in Window”
- “ Control Z” to undo works!
- I prefer “copy” or “split” to cutting because keeps original track in tact.
- Allows you to return to it and edit
- Save again, in format that can be used on web
Uploading to Web
- Upload to Otterbein (will stay a year after graduation) or another site that allows file uploads.
- Go to Desktop, Web Folder
- Drag from your file to this folder=ftp
- Once get it on “web host,” figure out the URL: http://students.otterbein.edu/yourname/audiofilename.mp3
- In post or page’s story editor, Choose “insert audio”
- Type in the URL, and link to it.
- For final design, perhaps get a clip art of audio speaker icon
- so user know what they will get: an audio clip download!