1. 1 www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.comPsychiatric Nursing QuizElectroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)1. The first use of convulsive therapy for the treatment of a psychiatric disorder in moderntimes is attributed toA. Ladislaus von MedunaB. A. E. BennettC. Egas MonizD. Kurt Schneider2. The first therapeutic use of electrically induced seizures in the treatment of mentaldisorders is related toA. Harold SackeimB. Luigi Bini and Ugo CerlettiC. D. GoldmanD. G. Holmberg and S. Thesieff3. The sequece of administration of medications in anesthesia for ECT is:A. Atropine---thiopentone/methohexitol---succinylcholineB. Succinylcholine---atropine---thiopentone/methohexitolC. Atracurium---succinylcholine---atropineD. Atropine--- succinylecholine---thiopentone/methohexitol4. As per the current evidence, which statement is NOT correct?A. Bilateral ECT is superior in efficacy to unilateral ECT.B. Unilateral ECT is more likely to cause cognitive deficits.C. Brief-pulse ECT delivery is associated with decreased cognitive deficits.D. Unilateral ECT is administered to the non-dominant hemisphere5. Which of the following drugs is associated with lower seizure thresholds whenadministering ECT?
2. 2 www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.comA. LithiumB. AnticonvulsantsC. BenzodiazepinesD. Barbiturates6. What is the minimum seizure duration required for effectiveness of ECT?A. 1 to 3 secondsB. 5 to 10 secondsC. 30 to 90 secondsD. 180 to 200 seconds7. What is the best accepted placement of electrodes in unilateral ECT?A. BifrontotemporalB. ParitotemporalC. OccipitalD. DElia position8. What is considered as the gold standard for confirmation of seizure in ECT?A. Cuff methodB. Electroencephalography (EEG)C. Electromyogram (EMG)D. Galvanic Skin Response (GSR)9. What is the average mortality rate with ECT (modified)?A. 3-4 per 100,000B. 10-25 per 100,000C. 10-20 per 10,000D. 50-60 per 1000,0010. Factors predisposing to postictal confusional state include, all EXCEPT:
3. 3 www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.comA. Sine wave ECTB. High-dose ECTC. Existing CNS diseaseD. Multiple ECTE. A younger age group11. Which is the best unit for quantification of ECT stimuli?A. Millicoulombs (mC)B. JoulesC. WattsD. Volt12. Which of the following is NOT a recommended preparation for ECT procedure?A. Informed consent in writingB. Pre-ECT investigationsC. Morning bath, cleaning the oil from the head, overnight fastD. Premedication with an anticholinergic agentE. Administration of an anticonvulsant 30 minutes before ECT13. The most common indication of ECT is:A. SchizophreniaB. Generalized Anxiety DisorderC. Manic episodesD. Major depression14. rTMS is found to have antidepressant properties when applied toA. Temporal– parietal regions of the cortexB. Dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (DLPFC)C. Occipital cortex
4. 4 www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.comD. Parieto-occipital cortex15. The most persistent adverse effect of ECT isA. Retrograde amnesiaB. FracturesC. SeizuresD. Hypertension16. Which of the following conditions is known to have the best response to ECT?A. Depression with suicidal tendancyB. Simple schizophreniaC. Paranoid schizophreniaD. Obsessive compulsive disorder17. The commonest side effect of ECT isA. DehydrationB. DementiaC. AmnesiaD. Fractures18. Which of the following is TRUE about electroconvulsive therapy?A. Contraindicated in brain tumorB. Requires more than 70 voltsC. Treatment of major depressionD. All are true19. Best response to ECT is seen inA. Catatonic schizophreniaB. Paranoid schizophrenia
5. 5 www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.comC. Hebiphreniac SchizophreniaD. Simple schizophreniaE. Residual schizophrenia20. Which of the following component is least important in ECT?A. Voltage and amperage of currentB. AC or DC currentC. Duration of currentD. Interval and type of therapy21. Which of the following parameters is TRUE about ECT?A. 40-60 volts, 2 secondsB. 80-90 volts, 0.01 secondsC. 90-120 volts, 0.3 secondsD. 120-150 volts, 3 minutes22. Which of the following characteristics is associated with unilateral ECT?A. Less amnesiaB. High voltage currentC. Rapid improvementD. Effective in schizophrenia23. Absolute contraindication for ECT isA. PregnancyB. LactationC. Old gaeD. Raised intracranial pressure24. Udvantages of unilateral ECT include
6. 6 www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.comA. More effective than bilateral ECTB. More prefferable in schizophrenuaC. Less number of treatmentsD. Less confusion and amnesia25. Use of succinylecholine in ECT isA. Safer than curareB. May cause prolonged apneaC. Reduces possibility of fracturesD. All are true26. Less memory disturbance is seen withA. Bilateral ECTB. Unilateral ECTC. Direct ECTD. Modified ECTANSWER KEY1. A 2. B 3. A 4. B 5. A6. C 7. D 8. B 9. A 10. E11. A 12. E 13.D 14. B 15. A16. A 17. C 18. D 19. A 20. B21. C 22. A 23. D 24. D 25. D26. B