“A method of treatment based on the
development of intimate (therapeutic)
relationship between client & therapist
for the purpose of exploring & modifying
the client behavior in a satisfying
…By Lego S.
4/24/2013 2Jayesh Patidar
• “A process in which a person who wishes to
relieve symptoms or resolve problems in living
or seeking personal growth enters in implicit
or explicit contract to interact in a prescribed
way with a psychotherapist.”
…By – Psychiatric Glossary (1980)
4/24/2013 Jayesh Patidar 3
• Changing maladaptive behavior pattern.
• Reducing of elimination environmental conditions
that may be causing such a behavior.
• Improving interpersonal & other competencies i.e
• Helping the patient to resolve inner conflict &
overcome feelings of handicap
• Modifying an individual’s accurate assessment of
himself & the world around him
• Helping him to develop a sense of self-identity.
4/24/2013 4Jayesh Patidar
• Psychotic patient with severe behavior
disturbance like excitement.
• Organic psychosis (in acute phase)
• Patient’s who are unmotivated & unwilling to
• Group psychotherapy in hysteria,
• Patient’s who are unlikely to respond, eg;
personality disorder , specially antisocial
4/24/2013 5Jayesh Patidar
• Patient may become excessively dependent on
therapy or therapist.
• Intensive psychotherapy may be distressing to
the patient & result in exacerbation of
symptoms & deterioration in relationship.
• Disorder s for which physical treatment would
be more appropriate may be missed
• Ineffective psychotherapy waste time &
money & changes in patient’s morale.
4/24/2013 6Jayesh Patidar