What Henry Ford said about research
“If I’d asked the customers they would
have said “Give us a faster horse”.
Why research results lie
The question is not, “Would you buy this?”
It is, “Would you give up what you buy now for
Prof. Andrew Ehrenberg
But there is more, I think
• It is not do you like it?
• Nor even, would you give up that for this?
• It is: will you pay for it with your money?
“The public does not know what it wants … there
is no sure way of finding out until the idea is
exposed under normal conditions of sale. If
people could tell you in advance what they want,
there would never have been a wheel, a lever,
much less an automobile, an airplane or a TV set.”
- Leo Burnett
What research can reveal - and can’t
• What people know
• What they think
• What (they think) they like – and hate
• What they believe
• What they plan to do
• But NOT what they will do
Helpful marketing ideas, free
● Each takes 1-5 minutes to read
● A constant stream, simple and practical
● Plus the best marketing book ever
● Over 16,117 marketers all over the world get
● Go to draytonbird.com and you can too