1. Paper: 2
The Neo-classical Literature
Prepared by: Drashti Mehta
Submitted to: Smt S.B.Gardi
Department of English
2. Tom Jones
_ by Henry Fielding
3. Henry Fielding
• Henry Fielding was born in 1707 to
Lieutenat George Fielding and his
• History of Tom Jones, a foundling was
published in 1749.
• Henry died on October 8th of 1754 in
Jungueira, near Lisbon.
4. Characteristics of Tom Jones
• When we first meet Tom
Jones, he is a Foundling.
• A new kind of hero
• A common man
• The unheroic hero
• Born to be hanged
• With Goodness of Heart
5. The Theme of Social Realism
Robbers on highways
People living in London
The role of Institutes
Society v/s Religion
6. Life style
• The wealth and splendor of the
English country side.
• The habbit of eating and
• Good deal of vanity and
intrigue, destroying it’s peace.
• In contrast with London life ,it’s
7. Robbers on highways
• The highways were infested
with robbers and villains .
• Women find difficulties to
travel along these lonely roads
in the nights.
• Picture of the wretched
condition of 18th
8. The Great City -London
• The London Society is morally
• People can be easily bought to give
false evidence even though it might
imperil the very life of person.
• The people are silly and lustful.
• The world of combat-Squire Western is
challenged by Lord Fellamar’s
messenger and Tom has duel with Mr.
9. The role of Institute
• The Public School Education seems to be
unsatisfactory for Squire Allworthy , he decides to
arrange private tutors for Tom and Blifil.
• Doctors had insufficient knowledge about
• Judges were corrupt in their judgement.
• The portrayal of an English woman is
• Woman’s Chastity is the one of the
• The movement to protect the
women’s status had already started.
• “If money is lost nothing is lost, if
Health is lost something is lost, but if
Character is lost everything is lost.”
• The situation of England is reflected.
• In book VII Tom gets attached to the
• In book XI, Sophia and Harriet are
staying at Inn , the landlords feels
that they both wants to go London
because they wants to escape from
12. Society v/s Religion
attempt to going to
church is symbolically
presents the followers
of Church who were
not real followers of
13. Thank You