1. T H E W E B I N A R W I L L B E B E G I N N I N G S H O R T L Y Want to Make Better Hiring Decisions? Why You Need to Consider Personality with Personality Expert Laura Plant Wednesday, August 10th, 2011 from 12 pm to 12:30 pm EDT Three options for audio: 1. Earphones 2. Computer speakers 3. Toll-Free: 1-877-669-3239 Event #: 665 922 172 Password: 1234 Webex Support Line:1-866-863-3910
2. Questions & CommentsThere are 2 ways you can submit a question:• Use the chat window seen to the lower-right of your screen and be sure to send your question to “Host” using the drop down menu.• Tweet your question to #drakep3
3. Agenda• The Consequence of Wrong Hires• Hiring Considerations• What is “Fit” and How do you Hire For It?• The Influence of Personality Styles on Behaviour• Hiring Right the First Time• The Benefits of Right Hires
4. The Consequences of Wrong HiresHiring the wrong candidate can have a negative impact on:• Organizational Performance and Productivity• Employee Morale and Engagement Levels• Your Professional Reputation• Public Reputation and Customer Relationships• Cost of Recruitment, Onboarding, Training and TurnoverPlus, there is a risk of:• Potential financial liability• Potential legal risk and litigation
5. Hiring Considerations The know-how Knowledge/ Experience The can-do Personality/ Skills/ The will-do Behaviours Abilities
6. What is “Fit” anyway?The behaviours and characteristics requiredto be successful in an organization and job.Organizational Fit:Culture, Values, Environment, Leadership, etc.Job Fit:Tasks, Duties, Responsibilities, Motivation, etc.
7. How Do You Define Fit?Top Performer Job Benchmarking • Assess and analyze personality traits of “Top Performers” in the role to better understand the behaviours required for success on the job • Gather input from “Job Experts” (Managers who know the role well) to understand what they believe will lead to job success • Create validated, customized benchmarks that are unique to the organization and the specific role
8. How Do You Attract for Fit?Personality-Based Job PostingsCustomize job postings so they candidly describe thebehaviours required to be successful in the role. Candidatesthat are not a fit will be more likely to screen themselves out.
9. How Do You Identify Fit?Candidate Assessments • Assess and analyze personality traits of Candidates for the role to better understand their personality style, behavioural preferences and tendencies in the workplace. • Motivators and Demotivators • Learning Styles • Communication Styles • Decision-Making Styles • Natural Strengths and Weaknesses • …and more!
10. How Do You Hire for Fit?Candidate-to-Job Matching• Compare the candidate’s personality to the Job Profile to identify level of fit and specific gap areas.• Investigate in the job interview whether these gaps can be barriers to success or if the candidate has the ability/desire to flex and adjust to the role in order to be successful.• Understand the energy and effort required to adjust to the role.• The organization and candidate can make more informed job matching choices.
11. Understanding Personality StylesThere are many different personality styles…• Strengths and weaknesses with every style• Can be equally effective• Work in different ways• Motivated by different things
12. DOMINANCEThe Authoritative Style • Direct, To-The-Point Communication • Assertive, Decisive • Competitive, Persistent • Aggressive, Confident • Comfortable with Risks • Control, Power • Daily Challenges • Tangible Results • Big PicturePrimary Strength: Drive, Getting things donePrimary Weakness: Running people over
13. ExtroversionThe Persuasive Style • Personal and Team Gain • People Interaction • Communication • Enthusiasm, Optimism • Comfortable with risks • Intangible recognition • Big picture • Persuasion, influencePrimary Strength: Building rapport and relationshipsPrimary Weakness: Speaking More Than Listening
16. Environmental Role AdjustmentOur natural and preferred style is not appropriate for all situations.We prefer to do things that come naturally to us.Styles must be “flexed” to be effective in different situations.Flexing takes energy.Extreme flexing can cause stress and lead to burnout if not managed.Being aware of the ways we need to flex is crucial.
17. The Benefits of Right HiresHiring the RIGHT Candidates the FIRST TIME will have aPositive Impact On:• Organizational Performance and Productivity• Employee Morale and Engagement Levels• Your Professional Reputation• Cost of Recruitment, Onboarding, Training and TurnoverPlus, It Will Decrease Your Risk Of:• Potential Financial Liability• Potential Legal Risk and Litigation
19. Our Contact Information Laura Plant Manager – Talent Management Solutions Drake International email@example.com 1-416-216-1117 (direct) Jay Rosales Senior Marketing Coordinator Drake International firstname.lastname@example.org 1-416-216-1070 (direct)
20. What is Your Personality Style?How well do you knowyourself?To learn more about yourpersonality style, we offer you acomplimentary DrakeP3 PersonalityAssessment!
21. Upcoming Webinar Want to be a Better Leader? Why Self-Awareness and Adaptability are Fundamental Date: Thursday, August 18th, 2011 Time: 12pm Duration: 30 minutes Presented by: Laura Plant