1. T H E W E B I N A R W I L L B E B E G I N N I N G S H O R T L Y Want to be a Better Leader? Why Self-Awareness and Adaptability are Fundamental w i t h M a n a g e r, Ta l e n t M a n a g e m e n t S o l u t i o n s Laura Plant Thursday, August 18th, 2011 from 12 pm to 12:30 pm EDT Three options for audio: 1. Earphones 2. Computer speakers 3. Toll-Free: 1-877-669-3239 Event #: 664 108 519 Password: 1234 Webex Support Line:1-866-863-3910
2. Questions & CommentsThere are 2 ways you can submit a question:• Use the chat window seen to the lower-right of your screen and be sure to send your question to “Host” using the drop down menu.• Tweet your question to #drakep3 If you have any technical problems/questions, please call WebEx Support at 1 866 863 3910.
3. AGENDA1. What is Adaptable Leadership?2. Self Awareness and Emotional Intelligence3. Personality Styles influence Leadership Styles4. Leading different Personality Styles5. What is YOUR Leadership Style?
4. WHAT IS LEADERSHIP?Leadership is NOT something that you have or not.Leadership IS something that you exercise or not.If you exercise leadership, you are a leader.Leadership is NOT reserved for the people at the top.Leadership IS something everyone can do.Management IS doing things rightLeadership IS doing the right things - Jim Kouzes -
5. LEADERSHIP IS… …the art of mobilizing others to want to struggle for shared aspirations. - Jim Kouzes -
6. ADAPTABLE LEADERSHIPAdaptable Leadership of Self and OthersBefore we can effectively lead others, we much first be a leader to ourselves.In order to do this, we must be self-aware.Then we can learn to adapt to difference situations and with different personalities.
7. KNOW YOURSELF“Leaders are people who are able to express themselves fully.They know who they are, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and howto fully deploy their strengths and compensate for their weaknesses.They also know what they want, why they want it, and how to communicatewhat they want to others, in order to gain cooperation and support.” - Warren Bennis -
8. BECOME YOURSELF“Becoming an authentic leader is not easy. First you have to understand yourself, because thehardest person you will ever have to lead is yourself. Once you have an understanding of yourauthentic self, you will find that leading others is much easier.” - Bill George -“Becoming a leader is synonymous with becoming yourself. Pursue your purpose and passion.” - Warren Bennis -“Purpose and passion journey together, as do being passionate and being inspirational.” - Jim Kouzes -“Become yourself and develop your unique style.” - Peter Drucker -
9. YOU DO NOT KNOW-IT-ALL…so don’t act like you do!Organizations benefit more from leaders who takeresponsibility for what they dont know thanfrom leaders who pretend to know it allSelf-awareness is being conscious of whatyoure good at while acknowledging whatyou still have yet to learn
10. EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCEEmotional Intelligence does not fit the classic historical models of leadershipTodays workforce does not accept the autocratic style often adopted by leadersfollowing historical models of leadershipLeadership has evolved to match a growing sense of democracy and independence inthe workforceEmployees of today are different from the past. They like to be in control and havemore to leverage in this tight labour market.
11. ADAPT YOURSELFOur natural or preferred leadershipstyle is not appropriatefor all situations
12. LEADERSHIP STYLES:AuthoritativeInfluenced by the Dominance personality traitCommunication: Direct, to the point, AssertiveDecision Making: Risk taker, Quick, Big PictureManagement: Demanding, ChallengesMotivators: Results, Control, WinningDemotivators: Wasted time, Slow movementPrimary Strength: Drive and getting things donePrimary Weakness: May run people over
13. LEADERSHIP STYLES:PersuasiveInfluenced by the Extroversionpersonality traitCommunication: Build rapport, Friendly, EnthusiasticDecision Making: Talk it out, Big pictureManagement: Positioning statements, Gain buy inMotivators: People interaction, Public recognitionDemotivators: Lack of people interaction, too much detail, no opportunity to speakPrimary Strength: Developing relationships and building rapportPrimary Weakness: Speaking more than listening
15. LEADERSHIP STYLES:TraditionalistInfluenced by the Conformity personality traitCommunication: Detailed, Organized, ThoroughDecision Making: Analytical, Low riskManagement: Systematic, Process drivenMotivators: Detail, Logic, Rules, TraditionDemotivators: Irrational thinking, lack of structurePrimary Strength: ExecutionPrimary Weakness: Flexibility
16. PERSONALITY STYLES INFLUENCELEADERSHIP STYLESMake an effort to recognizepersonality styles… ~ Get more done in less time ~ Manage conflict more effectively ~ Work better as a team ~ Have a more positive environment
18. Our Contact Information Laura Plant Manager – Talent Management Solutions Drake International email@example.com 1-416-216-1117 (direct) Jay Rosales Senior Marketing Coordinator Drake International firstname.lastname@example.org 1-416-216-1070 (direct)
19. WHAT IS YOUR LEADERSHIP STYLE? Are you an adaptable leader? To learn more about how you need to adapt in your current work environment, we would like to offer you the opportunity to better understand the personality styles on your team! This will help you understand what you need to do to motivate and engage different team members! 19
20. Our Contact Information Laura Plant Manager – Talent Management Solutions Drake International email@example.com 1-416-216-1117 (direct) Jay Rosales Senior Marketing Coordinator Drake International firstname.lastname@example.org 1-416-216-1070 (direct)