COMMUNICATION• Late 14c , from Old French “comunicacion”• From Latin “communicationem”• From Latin “communicare” which means to share, to divide out , communicate, impart, inform, join, unit e, participate in• From Latin “communis” which means common
COMMUNICATION• Transmission of thoughts from one mind to another• An essential function of civilization• Process of mutual interaction of people through sensory stimuli – anything that brings about a response in the nervous system, the sensory system or the feelings of a person
ORAL COMMUNICATION• Sound representation of a language• Consists of the speaking and listening processes
LANGUAGE• Man’s most effective medium of communication• Allows people to communicate their ideas
1. CorrectnessUse the right level of languageCorrect use of grammar, spelling and punctuationAccuracy in stating facts and figures Correctness in message helps in building confidence.
2. Claritydemands the use of simple language and easy sentence structure in composing the message Clarity makes comprehension easier.
3. Concisenesssaves time of both the sender and the receivercan be achieved by avoiding wordy expressions and repetitionUsing brief and to the point sentences Conciseness saves time.
WORDY CONCISEDue to the fact that because In due course soon At this time now Few in number few On a weekly basis weeklyIn spite of the fact that although Until such time as until Meet together meet
4. CompletenessThe message must bear all the necessary information to bring the response you desire.answer all the questionsgo for extra details if neededCompleteness brings the desired response.
5. Considerationdemands to put oneself in the place of receiver while composing a messageemphasizes positive pleasant facts, visualizing reader’s problems, desires, emotions and his response Consideration means understanding of human nature.
NEGATIVE TRANSFORMS INTO EMOTION/EXPRESSION Anxious A little concerned Confused curiousDestroyed Set back Stressed busy Lost searching
NEGATIVE TRANSFORMS INTO EMOTION/EXPRESSION I hate I prefer Insulted misunderstood Painful uncomfortable Disgusted surprised Failure learning
GOOD WORD GREAT WORD Attractive gorgeous Fortunate blessed Smart gifted Curious fascinated Confident unstoppable
6. ConcretenessBeing definite, vivid and specific rather than vague, obscure and generalPutting action into the verbs Concreteness reinforces confidence.
7. Courtesynot only thinking about receiver but also valuing his feelingsusing polite words and gestures, being appreciative, thoughtful, tactful, and showing respect to the receiverbuild goodwill Courtesy strengthen relations.
COMMUNICATION PSYCHOLOGY:Understanding human behavior through communication