Welcome Everyone, I am Dave Chen, I am the Founder and the Chairman of Association of Enterprise Architect, Hong Kong Chapter. In these 3-days conference, we should have looked into a lot of different topics of cloud, such as security and different technologies.In my session, I would like to look Cloud Computing form another perspective, that is “Enterprise Architecture” perspective.
Here’s the agenda, first of all, I would give a brief introduction to our organizationAnd then we come to our topic, that is “Cloud Computing and the Enterprise Architecture”Finally goes to the Q&A session.
Okay, Association of Enterprise Architects, in short form AEA, previously is named as AOGEAIt is the definitive professional association for Enterprise Architects worldwideSome of you heard about the Open Group, which is leading the development of open, vendor-neutral IT standards and certifications.They have a very famous Enterprise Architecture (EA) Framework, called TOGAFAnd AEA currently got over 15000 (fifteen thousands) members are Open CA (Certified Architect) or TOGAF certifiedThere are also over 30 chapters worldwide
AEA HK is one of the local chapter under AEA.AEA HK is Founded and established in May this yearIt is a non-profit organization and committee formed by HK EA practitioners.Our missions is to bring the Enterprise Architecture experience from worldwide into Hong KongAnd most importantly, to establish a platform for HK Architects to share their experience and knowledge, finally promoting EA in Hong KongFor those who are interested, you could join us by visiting our website, anyone could join the LinkedIn Group and facebook for latest updates on EA news and events
Okay, let’s come to our topic today.Here we introduce to another perspective on Cloud Computing, which is from the Enterprise Architecture perspective.
First to understand what is Enterprise Architecture (we simply called EA here)?CLICK ***************Some of you may heard about EA this term, Is EA simply means we hiring some Technical or System Architects and dealing with technical problems to the organization? Is EA equals to Enterprise IT Architecture?CLICK ***************Some people may also think EA introducing complexity to the organization while existing IT plan is working fine within budget.CLICK ***************Also, what is the relationship between EA and Cloud Computing? We’ll then come to an answer.
Let’s look into the meaning and definitions between Enterprise and ArchitectureCLICK ***************Enterprise means any organizations has a common set of goals, usually means business goalsCLICK ***************For Architecture, refer to the ISO standard, we concern about the inter-relationships between components with principles and guidelines.CLICK ***************And the deliverables of EA is to identify gaps between current and future which is “measurable”, so we can provide a roadmap to achieve business goals So next we will look into what EA actually helps both IT and business
Let me show you the EA beliefWith EA, IT can align with the business objective, so that IT can drive innovation and enrich business strategy.CLICK ***************Here comes a model to illustrate the belief of EA.Business should have its own strategy, plan and initiatives. While IT has well-defined the process, systems and infrastructure ready to support the business. CLICK ***************Enterprise Architecture, EA becomes the “Bridge” between IT and Business with layered architecture such as “Business Architecture”, “Technology Architecture” and “Information System Architecture”With well-defined constraints and meta-model to address the business problems.With EA, Business and IT strategies are considered jointly – IT can align and improve business process.
To achieve agility and address the impact of business process change and integration, EA is actually playing the key role.
- Back to our topic in this conference, that is Cloud Computing, what is the relationship between EA and Cloud?IsCloud just treating as other enterprise applications / infrastructure?CLICK ***************1. To EA, Cloud computing is just an architectural style like SOA and can always be applied no matter what kinds of emerging technologies or styleCLICK ***************CLICK ***************2. To EA, Cloud computing simply is a service, but EA is about how you will organize and manage your services.CLICK ***************3. It is highly recommended to adopt EA framework, such as TOGAF, which is a well-defined layered architecture with interoperability. More than 60 percent of the Fortune 50 use TOGAF.Interoperability is the key to address the Cloud Computing integration challengeCLICK ***************4. EA helps figure out what, when and how to move to the cloud with less impact and risk, especially on the integration with on-premises IT resourcesCLICK ***************5. To certain extent, EA also ensures seamless operations to adapt to cloud-based services
We will look into how what are the major business process and Integration Issues and how EA address themTraditionally, business people would think of their business plan and IT would support them with IT planIT people would build a lot of different systems either from scratch or buy commercial off the shelf software with lots of integration and business process flow integration, finally come with “Spaghetti-like architecture”.CLICK ***************With Cloud, the situation would be even worst as most of them are SaaS subscribed services.
So we look into how EA helps for spaghetti-like architectureEA not only helps standardize the components with layered architecture, it also helps define guidelines and relationship (this is align with the definition of “architecture”)Business Units and EA Team can then share the common IT & Business Strategy (that is align with the definition of “enterprise”)With this IT & business strategy, it can drive into the Enterprise Architecture through some EA framework, here is an example based on TOGAF Architecture Content Framework- With EA governance, EA team can manage and maintain the metamodel on different architectural types and requirements with EA artifacts.
When cloud meets EA- Here comes for an example: With cloud computing SaaS, IaaS and PaaS services are adopted in an unmanaged manner. CLICK ***************With EA technology architecture provides the IT landscape and baseline technology platform standard for making the decision on moving to PaaS and IaaS in a more well-managed and less risk manner. CLICK ***************While EA Business Architecture defines business processes and services as a repository, we could have a better picture and understanding on the current and future of business services and processes.CLICK ***************And with the Information Systems Architecture, we know which applications are SOA ready with business services integrating with the cloud on certain protocol / API.CLICK ***************- Because all things are well defined in the EA, business process and service integration could be done in a managed manner but not “spaghetti”
Besides tackling the spaghetti architecture due to the cloud computing adoption, EA also helps identify and address challenges in cloud computing from different perspective.CLICK ***************From IT governance perspective, as Cloud facilitates fast service provisioning, it has a higher chance to violate existing IT standardIt also easy to facilitate disjointed business process leading to incomplete application portfolioCLICK ***************And from System integration perspective, SOA readiness of on-premises IT infrastructure is a major concern, this might easy leading to integration incapability, finally creating information silo. Middleware management is also another challenges while more services, both in-house and cloud-based are required to integrate.CLICK ***************From security perspective, as the Cloud is exposed to the Internet, violation to the security policy may occur. In addition, cloud integration security and data jurisdiction are challenging too.CLICK ***************Finally, from IT infrastructure perspective, as for the maintenance, first who is maintaining the Cloud platform? Do IT folks be aware about it? Can the current SLA (service level agreement) be guaranteed?
EA not only help identify the challenges, EA helps overcome challenges of Cloud ComputingCLICK ***************For IT governance, business architecture in EA may help.- First of all, cloud strategy needs to be incorporated into your overall services strategy.- We can include the cloud management, e.g. define the roles and responsibilities, who is maintaining the cloud, etc. into the business and IT strategy.- We should always focus on business process and form the business architecture before going to cloud or consider other architectural styles- EA helps identify the business benefits and risks to identify the right candidate is the best for cloud adoptionCLICK ***************For System Integration, information system architecture in EA may help.- EA standard and guidelines facilitates a better service adoption and procurement align business objectiveWith the baseline and target architecture, impact to existing services (due to the repository) could be identified Data Architecture - is also recommended to determine Data and privacy classification and to prioritise the risk criteria of what goes in the cloud and what stays on-premise.CLICK ***************For the IT infrastructureTechnology architecture could provide all kinds of IT existing and future platform requirementsWe can understand the SLA requirements on performance and availabilityAnd Identify the required cloud computing resources and the cost calculations and comparisonsCLICK ***************For IT Security concern, Although IT security architecture is not part of the architecture domains of EA framework, such as TOGAF. Security concerns of the enterprise are always needed to be accounted for during the architecture development and process. It helps align IT security Policy and Compliance and it facilitates the need to update with the security concerns from Cloud
So we have looked into the Cloud Computing from EA perspective and how EA helps identify challenges on cloud computing and how to address them.Let us summarize the key thoughts and going forward.EA is always needed, no matter Cloud or notThink business objective first, Cloud Technology nextEA aligns IT and business strategy achieving business outcomesWithout EA, Spaghetti Cloud may occurAdopt Cloud Architecture Standard and Framework (e.g. Open Group)EA provides information on Cloud evaluation, adoption, minimize risks on business process integrationAnd finally, remember this slogan:Cloud become easier with Enterprise Architecture!
Thank you. That’s all for today.You may visit our website at http://www.aea-hk.org or e-mail to email@example.com
Next is the Questions and Answers section.
Since we still have some time left, here are some points that we may look for more discussion to find out the answer. They are :Not mature to have all computer resources availableGood for newly developed apps, porting/migration is hardTight integration with on-premises system is a problem24x7 usage may not be cost-effective (pay-as-u-go)Highly secure apps may not be suitableROI and cost calculations are always importantPoC together with going through the EA ADM process
1. Cloud Computing ~Enterprise Architecture Perspective 3rd Cloud World Forum Asia 2012 Dave Chen, CSSLP, TOGAF Founder and Chairman Association of Enterprise Architects, HK Chapter
2. AgendaIntroduction of AEA and HK Chapter (5 mins)Cloud Computing & Enterprise Architecture (20 mins)Q&A Discussion (5 mins)
3. Association of Enterprise ArchitectsAEA (previous named AOGEA) is the definitive professionalassociation for Enterprise ArchitectsEnterprise Architecture Framework, TOGAF CertificationOpen Group Certified Architect (OpenCA)15000 Memberships for the Open CA or TOGAF CertifiedOver 30 Chapters worldwide http://www.globalaea.org http://www.opengroup.org
4. Introduction to AEA HK ChapterAEA HK is non-profit local HK chapter of AEA and isgoverned by the AEA Bylaws.Committee formed by HK EA PractitionersOur mission is to bring the Enterprise Architectureexperience from worldwide into Hong Kong.Establish a platform for Hong Kong Architects toshare their experience and knowledge, ultimatelypromoting EA in Hong Kong.Join our Linkedin Group, search “AEA-HK”
7. Enterprise Architecture Definitions Enterprise Architecture An ‘enterprise’ is any (ISO/IEC 42010:2007) collection of The structure of organisations that has a components, their inter- common set of goals relationships, and the principles and guidelines governing their design and evolution over time- Identify gaps between current (baseline) and future (target) state- Provide a roadmap to achieve business goals and objectives
8. Enterprise Architecture Belief - EA help IT aligned to Business Objectives - IT & EA is to drive innovation and enrich business strategy Business Strategy Plan Initiatives constraints define Enterprise Architecture Aligning & Information System Improving Business Architecture Prioritizing Architecture Technology Architecture Application Data meta-model utilize IT Process System InfrastructureAdapted from Enterprise Architecture as Strategy, Creating a Foundation for Business Execution, Jeanne W. Ross, Peter Weill, David C. Robertson,Harvard Business School Press , Boston Massachusetts, 2005
9. Survey and Concerns on Cloud - Majority of organizations needed buy-in from CIO or another C-level executive to fund Cloud Computing initiatives - Main drivers behind Cloud Computing implementations were cost, resource optimization and timeliness/agility of new services - Most organizations using Cloud Computing did not have an ROI mechanism in place - 82 percent of survey participants believed Cloud Computing would significantly impact one or more business processes - Top concerns surrounding Cloud Computing were security, governance, integration issues and ability to cope with business process changeSurvey source : The Open Group Cloud Computing Survey May 2011
10. EA Perspective on Cloud Computing- Cloud Computing is just an “Architectural STYLE”, like SOA within EA- EA help figure out what services, when and how to move to the Cloud (key success) Enterprise Architecture- EA is also the heart of change to organize and manage your services Cloud- Adopt EA Framework, e.g. TOGAF well-defined Computing layered architecture and interoperability- Finally, EA ensures seamless operations to adapt to cloud-based services
11. How EA address Business Process and Integration Issues Cloud Architecture - Heterogeneous ~ monolithic systems, client-server, tiered to distributed architectures - Becoming tightly coupled “spaghetti-like architecture” Biz IT Plan Plan maintain support IT Team Business ? UnitsGraphic source : aurorisoft.com
12. How EA address Business Process and Integration Issues EA helps standardize components with layered architecture and define guidelines and relationships -> IT enrich business strategy Architecture Vision IT & Business Drive Strategy Biz IT Business Information System Technology Plan Plan Architecture Architecture ArchitectureBusiness EA Team maintain Security Architecture Units Architecture Realization TOGAF Architecture Content Framework with Sample Building Blocks
13. How EA address Business Process and Integration IssuesWhen Cloud meets EA CRM BU HR API BU FINANCE BU API API SaaS Business Processes Process 1 Business Architecture Business Services Service 1 Components Information Component 1 Component 2 Systems Business Systems Architecture Application 1 Package 1 Application 2Enterprise Architecture On-premises IT Systems / Business Applications Technology On-Premises IT Platform / Middleware PaaS Architecture On-Premises IT Infrastructure IaaS
14. Cloud Computing Common Challenges•IT Standard •Integration Violation Incapability•Disjointed Business •Information Silo Process •Middleware•Incomplete Management Application Portfolio•Security Policy •Maintenance Violation •Performance•Cloud Integration •Availability Security•Security Controls
15. Something that EA may help•Define Cloud •IT Standard and Strategy and Guidelines Management •Integration impact•Business analysis to existing Architecture services•Cloud Service •Data Architecture Evaluation IT System Governance Integration Enterprise Architecture IT IT Security Infrastructure•Holistic Cloud •SLA Requirements Security •Platform Standard Architecture and baseline•Risk-based Cloud •Cloud Platform Security Controls Management
16. Key Thoughts and going forward- EA is always needed, no matter Cloud or not- Without EA, Spaghetti Cloud may occur- Think business objective first, Cloud Technology next- EA aligns IT and business strategy achieving business outcomes- EA provides information on Cloud evaluation, adoption, minimize risks on business process integration and services- Adopt Cloud Architecture Standard and Framework (e.g. Open Group)- Cloud become easier with EA!
17. Thank you http://www.aea-hk.orgE-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
18. Questions & Answers
19. To-Cloud Considerations Discussions- Not mature to have all computer resources available- Good for newly developed apps, porting/migration is hard- Tight integration with on-premises system is a problem- 24x7 usage may not be cost-effective (pay-as-u-go)- Highly secure apps may not be suitable- ROI and cost calculations are always important- PoC together with going through the EA ADM process