0
Survivor: the Inca Trail Doug Johnson Created … January 29, 2007
Blending in…
Lost City of the Incas <ul><li>Hiram Bingham III - Yale - 1911 </li></ul>
<ul><li>Heart of the Incan Empire 1532 - 3,000 miles long - roads -200 ft bridges made of reeds - “pony-express” Never dev...
 
Cusco 300,000 pop., 11,500 ft. elevation
 
Dominican Priory and Church of Santo Domingo
 
 
 
 
Sac-say-hua-man
300 TON stones
 
Tambo-machay
 
 
 
 
<ul><li>45 km (28 miles)- 4 days </li></ul><ul><li>“ The trek is rated moderate and any reasonably fit person should be ab...
Day One 7.5 miles - beginning elevation 8,500 feet, ending elevation 9,850 feet. Uru-bam-ba River
 
<ul><ul><li>Freddy Zapata </li></ul></ul>
 
 
 
 
 
 
Llaq-ta-pata
Pre-hispanic history of Peru 60% speculation 30% probability 10% fact - P.  Frost
 
 
Way-lla-bamba
 
Day Two 7 miles - beginning elevation 9,850 feet;  high point, 13,800 feet; ending elevation, 11,500 feet
 
 
 
 
Peru: Poverty rate: 48%. Income pp has not risen in 25 years. History of political instability.
 
 
 
 
 
 
50 steps, catch your breath, repeat “ soroche”   (aka Hypoxia or Acute Mountain Sickness) pills cocoa tea 2-3 day adjustme...
 
Dead Woman’s Pass, 13,800 feet
 
Paca-mayo
Day Three 9 miles - beginning elevation 11,500 feet, highest points - two separate passes, 12,800 feet and 12,000 feet; en...
 
 
 
Run-kura-cay “The Egg”
 
 
 
Tribute to Pacha Mama
 
 
Sa-yac-marca “Inaccessible Town”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Phu-yu-pata-marca “Town in the Clouds”
 
 
3,000 ft drop =  blisters
Win-ay way-na “Forever Young ”
 
Day Four 5.5 miles - beginning elevation 8,700 feet; ending elevation at Machu Picchu 7,800
 
 
 
Inti-pun-ku: The Sun Gate
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Machu Picchu
 
 
Earth - Llama Underground - Serpent Heaven - Condor
 
 
 
Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail:  a complete work of art
 
Aguas Calientes
 
 
If you go:   Book early   Get in shape   Get good boots   Read up  ( Cusco  by Frost)   Have fun! And remember…
No man needs a vacation so much as the man who has just had one.  -  Elbert Hubbard
Do not steal.  Do not lie.  Do not be lazy.
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Survivor: the Inca Trail

5,061

Published on

A slideshow based on the author's hike of the Inca Trail in 2006

Published in: Travel, Technology
1 Comment
2 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Thanks. I know several new sites and trails were under excavation, but not sure about Huyana Pichu. The trail was an amazing experience - exhausting but amazing.

    All the best,

    Doug
       Reply 
    Are you sure you want to  Yes  No
    Your message goes here
No Downloads
Views
Total Views
5,061
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
2
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
139
Comments
1
Likes
2
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • Transcript of "Survivor: the Inca Trail"

    1. 1. Survivor: the Inca Trail Doug Johnson Created … January 29, 2007
    2. 2. Blending in…
    3. 3. Lost City of the Incas <ul><li>Hiram Bingham III - Yale - 1911 </li></ul>
    4. 4. <ul><li>Heart of the Incan Empire 1532 - 3,000 miles long - roads -200 ft bridges made of reeds - “pony-express” Never developed: writing the wheel use of draft animals </li></ul><ul><li>Not Inca, Quechua (cash’-wa) </li></ul><ul><li>Lasted only 300 years </li></ul>Greedo
    5. 6. Cusco 300,000 pop., 11,500 ft. elevation
    6. 8. Dominican Priory and Church of Santo Domingo
    7. 13. Sac-say-hua-man
    8. 14. 300 TON stones
    9. 16. Tambo-machay
    10. 21. <ul><li>45 km (28 miles)- 4 days </li></ul><ul><li>“ The trek is rated moderate and any reasonably fit person should be able to cover the route.” </li></ul>
    11. 22. Day One 7.5 miles - beginning elevation 8,500 feet, ending elevation 9,850 feet. Uru-bam-ba River
    12. 24. <ul><ul><li>Freddy Zapata </li></ul></ul>
    13. 31. Llaq-ta-pata
    14. 32. Pre-hispanic history of Peru 60% speculation 30% probability 10% fact - P. Frost
    15. 35. Way-lla-bamba
    16. 37. Day Two 7 miles - beginning elevation 9,850 feet; high point, 13,800 feet; ending elevation, 11,500 feet
    17. 42. Peru: Poverty rate: 48%. Income pp has not risen in 25 years. History of political instability.
    18. 49. 50 steps, catch your breath, repeat “ soroche” (aka Hypoxia or Acute Mountain Sickness) pills cocoa tea 2-3 day adjustment time go lower
    19. 51. Dead Woman’s Pass, 13,800 feet
    20. 53. Paca-mayo
    21. 54. Day Three 9 miles - beginning elevation 11,500 feet, highest points - two separate passes, 12,800 feet and 12,000 feet; ending elevation 8,700 feet
    22. 58. Run-kura-cay “The Egg”
    23. 62. Tribute to Pacha Mama
    24. 65. Sa-yac-marca “Inaccessible Town”
    25. 74. Phu-yu-pata-marca “Town in the Clouds”
    26. 77. 3,000 ft drop = blisters
    27. 78. Win-ay way-na “Forever Young ”
    28. 80. Day Four 5.5 miles - beginning elevation 8,700 feet; ending elevation at Machu Picchu 7,800
    29. 84. Inti-pun-ku: The Sun Gate
    30. 92. Machu Picchu
    31. 95. Earth - Llama Underground - Serpent Heaven - Condor
    32. 99. Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail: a complete work of art
    33. 101. Aguas Calientes
    34. 104. If you go: Book early Get in shape Get good boots Read up ( Cusco by Frost) Have fun! And remember…
    35. 105. No man needs a vacation so much as the man who has just had one. - Elbert Hubbard
    36. 106. Do not steal. Do not lie. Do not be lazy.
    1. A particular slide catching your eye?

      Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

    ×