1. Think Teen Advanced 1stGradeUnit 3 – ProjectTeacher: Julia Aivazoglou
2. -To involve learners in using thelanguage of comparison in a newcontext.- To encourage learners to “play therole “ of the reporter journalist andtranslator using research andinterview.
3. -To integrate speaking and writingwith reading.- To promote cross – curriculumwork .( with Home Economics, ICT).
4. Step 1: To divide the class into smallergroupsStep 2: To decide about the topic we aregoing to work on and analyze it .Step 3: To find Information on the net,Library , Home Economics bookand to interview local peopleStep 4: Power – point presentation
5. “ The crops of our area: Rice and Corn“1sttitle: “ Ways of growingcorn and rice - What a farmersays.”2ndtitle: “ Their nutritious valueand their place in the foodpyramid”
6. To grow corn a farmer uses only agricultural machinesTo grow corn a farmer uses only agricultural machineswhereas to grow rice – specifically to sow a field with rice –whereas to grow rice – specifically to sow a field with rice –a farmer can work on his own , without machines.a farmer can work on his own , without machines.That’s why1. Growing rice is Cheaper than growing corn .2. Growing corn is easier than growing riceThe best season to sow a field with corn or riceis spring. April for corn and May for rice.
7. Rice is a source of carbohydrate whereas corn is arich source of vitamins A , B , E. of minerals andfibre. Moreover , corn can help us prevent healthproblems such as digestive problemsTherefore :1. Corn is more nutritious than rice and2. Rice doesn’t help us so much as corn withhealth problems
8. Rice is at the bottom of the food pyramid because itbelongs to the cereal familyBut1 Corn is one step higher than rice in the foodpyramid : because it belongs to the family of vegetables2 Both corn and rice are in more importantpositions in the food pyramid than other kinds of food
9. Meat and sweetsDairy productsvegetablescereal
10. The agronomist Ms Hatzisava : “Nowadays thepesticides and fertilizers which the farmers of ourarea use are more drastic than 20 years ago . That is,a very large number of acres need much smallerquantity of non organic fertilizers and pesticidesthan in the past . Most farmers don’t use organicfertilizers and Pesticides because they are moreexpensive than the non – organic ones . However ,they agree that the organic crops are thehealthiest and most delicious of all crops