Getting Limerick Clare and Tipperary Business Online
So can you really
learn how to create
and publish a website
for your business in
Are your wondering?
• How do I get started to create a FREE website
using the Blacknight Website Builder
• So that I can update my website as often as I
• And get a Professional Email address for my
Lists some sample sites created using the
Blacknight Website Builder and provide summary
instructions on how to build your website
Talks about Search Engine Optimisation
(SEO) within the tool which facilitates your
website to be found by web users.
• Contact your Local Enterprise Office (LEO) to
book to attend a training workshop?
• Check out www.gettingbusinessonline.ie
What should be on your website?
• How many Pages
– What information will be
on your pages?
• YouTube videos
• Contact Form
• Links to Social Media
• What are your
• What are your suppliers
or partners doing
• What will your potential
customers be looking
A website address (e.g.
) is also known as a
domain name or URL.
With Getting Irish
Business Online you'll get
it for free for the first
year and only pay a small
annual renewal fee
thereafter to include your
Sign Up Process
• Signing Up
• Choosing a Domain
• Application Form
• Verifying your application – via text
SMS to your phone
• Your first page
• Choosing a theme
• Choosing your login details
WATCH MY YOUTUBE VIDEO
• Go to WEB Hosting Menu
See blogpost on how to add email to your Phone
Go to http://altmail.blacknight.com/ to sign in to your email
• Add contact details + contact
• Option to include a Google
Map of your location with
• Add link to your Facebook
• Banner Image [Logo]
• Edit your home page
• Adding pages
• Adding Text
• Adding a Table
• Links to other sites
• Working with Images
– Media Uploader
• Search engine
• Embed YouTube videos
• Google Analytics
Blacknight Control Panel
Blacknight Sitebuilder CMS
Where to Start?
• Select BUILD YOUR SITE
• Click on Site Settings and Contact Details in
the Dropdown Menu
– Add your Phone Number and Opening Hours
• These appear at the top of Website (Click Preview to
see how it looks)
– Add Address
• This will appear in the SIDEBAR
– You have to activate the SIDEBAR on each page … Click the
RED Button so that it turns GREEN
• When you view your Google map in the sitebuilder it will
take a best guess at your location from your address.
After this you may move around the map and click on a
point to drop a marker on the exact location where your
When you drop the pin you will see it sets the coordinates
field which will then be used to display your marker on your
If you want to remove the pin simply return to the
sitebuilder and delete the coordinates field and leave only
The Contact Form
>> Contact Settings
• Turn On the
• Option to reveal
• Form will appear
when website is
Integrating Social Media
• Each page has an automatic Social Share Bar
• You can now create links to your Business’s
Social Media Accounts
How to create a FACEBOOK BUSINESS Page
Add links to Facebook
• If you have a facebook page for your
business you can create a link direct from
your new home page
• Simply copy in the URL of your facebook
– SITE SETTINGS + SOCIAL NETWORKING
how to change your Facebook personal page into a Business
Amanda is a brilliant blogger on any things social media
Twitter & LinkedIn
• Open your Twitter Account and Your Profile
The link that you paste into
Blacknight should be in
Add Twitter Feed to a Page
• Example : startuphughes.biz/Twitter.html
• Instructions via Twitter website:
Add Blogpost Feed to your SideBar
• If you have a WordPress blog you can add an
automatic feed which will appear in the
Standard Banner - Logo/ Banner Image
• Two types of Stadard Banner Templates
– Either a Square Logo or Full Width Image (800
wide by 300 tall)
• To create your BANNER Image
1. Edit a Photo (to include adding Text)
2. Use PowerPoint to create an Image
3. Get a Graphic designer to create one for you
Option 2 – Edit an Image
• Secure and edit image
– Own Camera or buy online
– Add Text
– Resize to Fit
• Upload as a Banner
>>> Build Your Site
>>> Site Settings
>>> Standard Banner
Edit your images using
Create a logo using
My blogpost about working with Images
Royalty Free Images
Quick Resize using
Paint (free on most PCs)
Free Alternative to
Cltr + V to Paste into Paint
Search Engine Optimisation in brief
• No one can guarantee a #1 ranking on Google or
Yahoo or Bing.
1. All about Organic Search
... Content in your site including headings
2. Meta title, Meta Description, Meta Keywords, Alt
... This is text that is not seen by the visitor to your
website. It helps search engines.
3. Links to your site (backlinks) from other sites.
For more see:
So what are Meta Tags etc
My blogpost on SEO for GIBO
• <title> Donncha Hughes - About Donncha
• <meta name="DESCRIPTION"
content="homepage of Donncha Hughes -
trainer, mentor - marketing ; business plans -
• <meta name="KEYWORDS" content="Donncha
Hughes marketing start up Sales Business Plans
Limerick Tipperary Galway Mentor">
This is HTML
Google Donncha Hughes
in top ten
MetaTags in Knightbuilder
• Website Title + Each Webpage Title
• Headings & Keywords within the text
• One standard page plus 11 other
pages which you can name
• For instructions on adding more pages
A website must be hosted on a server. This allows it to be
viewed by anyone anywhere in the world. With Getting Irish
Business Online you'll get your website hosted for free by
Blacknight for the first year and only pay a small annual
renewal fee thereafter.
• Type in your text
• Add Headings and subheadings to make
it look nice for the reader
– Use the format button (Headings 2 and 3
are plenty big enough)
How to copy from MS WORD
• If I want to move text from the top of a
page to the bottom, i use the control keys
– Hold down Ctrl Key and the X key to Cut.
– Hold down Ctrl Key and the V Key to Paste.
– Ctrl and C is Copy.
• Also work for emails and websites.
• Use the Paste button on the Page Editor
Menu to add text from Microsoft Word to
your webpages 32
Add a table to a Page
• Within Blacknight Tool, go to a Page and
click on Add Table
• Select number of rows and columns,
background colour, border colour
• May be suitable for a list of services, list
of contact people, prices or a timetable
Can I provide a link that will link to
• Yes – See this video
• Copy the URL you want to link to
• Within the page Select the Text for the ‘hyperlink’
• The LINK icon below will become active and a pop
up box will appear
• Paste the URL in the box provided
• Select OPEN in New Tab from the drop down menu
How to Add Top to each Page?
• How to Add to each page Top so that
visitor to brought to the top of that page
– Type in the text at bottom of the page and
Select the Text
– The Link Icon (looks like a chain) will activate
– Create a ‘link’ to the page from the Link List
– Select ‘open in this window’
• You can add 12 images/photos to a
• Its under "Pages and Tools" in the site
• When you click on an image in the
Gallery it expands to full size.
SOURCEs of FREE IMAGES for Your Website
Gallery – Detailed
• You probably have the images on your hard drive or
a memory stick. Make sure that they are under
1MB. If they are bigger you can resize using Paint.
• To add images to the Gallery.
You firstly add the Gallery to your site … click on
Pages and Tools and Add Pages. Click on the grey
button to make Gallery active. It will now be green
and say active.
You then add pictures to the gallery…. Click on Pages
and Tools and on the Gallery Page in the dropdown.
You first click on Show Gallery so that it goes Green.
• Next step is to upload images. You ‘browse’ to the
file location and select one image at a time. You can
add a caption. You then click on the upload button.
• You can add photos to your Media uploader.
• You can then display them on any page.
• Also allows Pdfs to be uploaded (menus or
brochures for instance) so that links can be
inserted to allow viewers to download.
If Media Uploader is not displaying
Click on Build Your Site
Click the remove frames link and follow this by
clicking Switch to HTTP (both of these links are
located in the top section).
How to ‘display’ photos on my pages
• Go to Media Uploader
• Upload photo or photos (under 1MB)
• Right click on the photo that you have want to display on a
– Copy the URL of the Photo (Copy Link Location)
• Go to page that you want to insert the photo
• Click on Insert/Edit Embedded media (see picture above)
• Paste the link in the box
• The second TAB is Appearance. Please note that a photo of
about 600 across will fill across most of the page (will look
nice if centred using the menu button)
• Surf to your YouTube Video.
• Copy the URL of the Video
• Within Blacknight Tool, go to page you want
to insert the Video.
• Click on Insert/Edit Embedded media.
• Paste the link in the box (see popup on next
• In your pages you can add a slideshow of images
• Create a Google picasa account
• Follow instructions provided by Google to embed
the image slideshow into your website.
• You will need to add HTML code provided by
Google to a Page on your site via the HTML Editor
• Sign up to Google analytics
ie create a google account
• Follow the instructions to add Google
Analytics to your site
• Example from Blacknight
• Tell Google that your site has moved
• You can update your website at any time.
All you need to do is login to
• Add new pages
• Text + Pictures
• Social Media
• User support forum