1. “I‟m brushing my teeth!” …AND OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA MYTHS
2. Audience InventoryShow of hands please…What do you want to learn?
3. You‟d Be Surprised…
4. Presentation Preview Twitter What it is Facebook Debunk fears LinkedIn Examples of personal foursquare and professional use YouTube Examples of what not to Instagram do Why you should give it a Pinterest whirl
5. Social Media IS NOTHING NEW
6. Storytelling has always been around If you think about it, social media is not much different than the age-old practice of passing along stories – we just have new tools and technology that allow things go faster and further. Social media is so easy a ….
7. 58% use Twitter all the timeSome numbers 76% spend more than an hour onabout Gen Y Facebook (FB) each day 40% visit FB 10+ times per day 96% own a cell phone 67% access FB from phones 38% cannot go more than 10 mins. without checking deviceStats from The NextWeb‟s “The Top 51 Stats 83% use phones to take picturesfor Generation Ymarketers by Ekaterina 23% access social networks onWalter phone
8. TwitterTHE WORLD’S LARGEST CONVERSATION
9. Stream of Consciousness 140 character messages called tweets Follow people; people follow you Use on your computer, mobile phone or tablet Filter your stream using lists, saved searches and hashtags (#etown) Engage with people using @mentions and by retweeting, sharing links and photos, etc. Twitter‟s space constraints have led to the development of rules, protocols and tools unique to Twitter
10. Why I love it and why you should too. Breaking news Live event coverage Conferences and events Customer service Marketing and promotion opportunities Industry networking – WhotoFollowEDU Find brand ambassadors Raise awareness Integrates with other social media tools People I “don‟t know”
11. Twitter news can spread… fast Here‟s a first-hand example of how quickly news can spread on Twitter…. Twitter Up a Storm – from my blog
12. A bigger & better example Entrepreneur Janis Krums (and a former client) was at the right place at the right time. He became a “Twitter-lebrity” and went from a few dozen to several thousand followers That day/week he was on BBC, ABC, CNN, etc. to talk about his experience His eCommerce business, ElementzNutrition certainly got an early buzz! Today, he‟s also a social media consultant
13. Let‟s take a look
14. Twitter TipsSetting up Account Interacting Make it public Two-way communication Complete your 160- Be a person word bio; include URL Be genuine and other usernames Be transparent Use real and recent Be consistent photos; customize Entertain background Engage Use tools and tracking Find people to follow
15. FacebookTHE GRANDDADDY OF SOCIAL MEDIA
16. Facebook pages Engage with people where they already are Different than personal page – friend vs. like – ALWAYS use a PAGE for a business/organization Better than groups Interact Events Photos, videos, links Provide customer service Fun and personal
17. Let‟s take a look
18. Facebook EtiquetteDO DO NOT Respond to everyone Delete a post no matter who posts on your wall how negative (in most in a reasonable amount cases) of time Use your page to Update your page daily; even more than broadcast messages once per day only Keep default wall to Spam people show “Everyone‟s” post Feed the trolls
19. LinkedInTHE NETWORK FOR PROFESSIONALS
20. The Power of LinkedInStudents and recent grads Established professionals List work experience List work experience Share publications Get recommendations Publicize speaking Join groups engagements Get and give Find jobs and recommendations internships Network with colleagues Join groups Integrate other social Use add-ons media tools Use Q&A function Network with alumni Develop personal brand
21. Let‟s take a look…
22. LinkedIn Tips Keep network small - this can be the more private of your social networks Reciprocate recommendations Complete your profile to 100% Use keywords; tell a story Take advantage of multiple titles If you are seeking new opportunities, don‟t be afraid to use that as your title Join alumni or other industry-specific groups
23. foursquareWHERE IN THE WORLD ARE YOU?
24. If Facebook is who, foursquare is where Access app from smart phones Check in to places; leave tips and photos Earn mayorships – friendly competition Earn badges and promotions Add new places Claim your place to offer specials to audience Create lists
25. Let‟s take a look…
26. YouTubeMORE THAN CUTE BABIES.
27. Sights and Sounds Video is viral YouTube Channel Embed videos on website or blog Embed videos within Facebook posts or link to from tweets Two-way conversation Quality not expected
28. Integrating Video Everywhere
29. Instagram A PICTURE IS WORTH …WAIT. THAT SOUNDS KIND OF CLICHÉ.
30. Say Cheese! Or Kittens! Or Babies! Edit and add effects to photos Share moments Comment and like Tag and search tags Ties to Twitter, Facebook and foursquare Follow people; get followers Save photos to phone
31. Let‟s take a look …
32. PinterestIT’S LIKE A VIRTUAL FRIDGE DOOR.
33. Pin and Share it Pinterest is growing rapidly! Curate and organize content that matters to you Only can pin stories with images; very visual Explore content by topic from others‟ pins Others can „repin‟ your pins Install “pin it” button on your browser tool bar to make for easy sharing
34. Let‟s take a look…
35. You don‟t have to do it all… Just do it right It‟s natural to want to try everything when it is brand new, but find the mediums that work best for you, for your goals and for your audience and focus on those. Don‟t overextend! Know yourself and your audience. If you are someone with your hat in a lot of areas, use caution when creating a social media persona for every single one of them. Just be you; and let people know all you do. Be careful when managing personal and professional accounts – Red Cross? Plan ahead, use tools, enlist help of brand ambassadors
36. Questions? Comments? And a call to action!TAKE ONE THING YOU LEARNED HERE AND IMPLEMENT IT. AND FOLLOW ME. WWW.TWITTER.COM/DONNATALARICO