2. Rhinitis is know as many things: 1. Allergenic Rhinitis ( Hay fever ) 2. Non-allergenic Rhinitis 3. Vasomotor Rhinitis 4. Infectionous Rhinitis 5. Hormonal
3. Allergenic RhinitisSeasonal allergenic rhinitis (hay fever) ismainly an alergy caused by outdoorallergens such as tree, grass, weeds, andmold spores. If you sneeze, have a runny orstuffy nose during spring, summer, or fallyou may have hay fever. Hay fever is themost common type of allergy problems.Symptoms include sneezing, itching, runnyor stuffy nose, and red watery eyes.
4. NON-ALLERGENIC RHINITISNon-allergenic rhinitis involves chronic sneezing orhaving a congested, drippy nose with no apperentcause. The symptoms are similar to thoses of hayfever, but there is no allergic reactions involved.Nonallergic rhinitis can affect children andadults, however is more common over the age of20. More annoying than harmful, it can be triggeredby odors, irritants, weather, certain foods, oranother underlying condition. A diagnosis ofnonallergenic rhinitis is given after allergic is ruledout by skin tests.
5. VASOMOTOR RHINITISVasomotor rhinitis is also known as post-nasal drip and nasal congestion. A personwith this type of rhinitis may havesymptoms when exsposed to temperatureand humudity changes. Symptoms can alsooccur when exposed to smoke, strongodors, perfumes, or even emotional upsets.All of the above mentioned exposurescause dialation in the blood vesseles in thelining of the nose, which result in swellingand drainage.
6. INFECTIONOUS RHINITISInfectionous rhinitis can occur as a cold, which mayclear rapidly or continue with symptoms that canlast a week or longer. Some people may devolpean actue or chronic bacterial infection. The mostcommon is the common cold which is 92% of thetime caused by Rhinovirues and Coronavirues.Symptoms not only include runny or stuffy nose butalso sore throat, headache, and cough. Also notedis an increase in colored (not clear as in otherrhinitis) yellowed or greenish thickend nasaldischarge.
7. HORMONAL RHINITISHormonal rhinitis is often seen with... as the nameimplies, hormonal changes. It often occurs withpregnancy, puberty, hypotyroidism, and themenstral cycle. The most common being pregancyduring the early tri-mester and last 2-3 weeks ofpregnancy. Hormonal rhinitis displayes the samecommon traits as allergenic with a noticed increasein clear nasal fluid discharge. It is not commonlytreated by any medication due the cause beingtriggered by homones and the means to control itwould be to administer an anti-hormone blockerthat would cause an adverse reaction greater thenthe annoyence of the rhinitis.
8. Pathogen and Virulence factors.Virulence is the degree of pathogenecity or theability of a bacteria/virus to invade a host. Rhinitisis a very common misconception that it in its-self isa pathogen. Its not. It is an outside agent that isbeing dispelled from the body therfore being a signor a symptom and not a classic defenition of apathogen. Rhinitis is the outcome of the bodysability to produce mucous to trapdust, pollen, pollution, bacteria, viruses, etc.. Nasalfluid flows from the front of the nose to the rear ofthe nose and down the throat. When to muchmucous is made then it cause an overflow whichpushes fluid out the front (runny nose).
9. Epidemiology of RhinitisEpidemiology is the study of health events, healthcharacterics, and health patterns in a population. Rhinitisbeing one the most common misdiagnosed problems andbrushed off as just a cold, leads it to have great problemsunderstanding the epidemiology. It is seen everywheree onthe globe, including outer-space as in 1994 a shutlle missionastronaught had non-allergenic rhinitis after his 5th day beingin outer-space. It has many causes from the weather,pollutions, to simple human sensetivity. Also being that in themedical field, rhinitis is seen more as an annoyense then atrue problem, most epidemioligist choose not to study rhinitisbut rather a more pressing or urgent matter.
10. Diagnosis, Treatment, PreventionDiagnosis of minor rhinitis is usally done at home and isgathred from previous exsperiances. More acute, severe, orbothersome rhinitis is diagnosed by process of eleminationsince so many factors can cause it. Skin tests forallergic, blood tests or cultures for infectionous, palpatationand visual for vasomotor, age range and education forhormonal, process of elemination for nonallergenic. Mosttreatment comes in forms of anti-histimine medication (OTCor prescribed), nasal sprays, to home remidies or in worstcase senario, surgical closing of the nasal mucous ducts viacaterazation. Trying to prevent rhinitis is almsot animpossable feat as almost any irrataint can cause it. Somemethods however are seasonal medication, removing yourself from a known cause (enviroment) or agent (smoking).While having rhinitis might be misery it is in most cases notlife threating, and can not be 100% prevented.