EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATIONIS NOT JUST GETTING THE MESSAGE ACROSS BUT ITS ACCEPTANCE FROM ITS INTENDED RECEIVERS WHICH CAUSES THE EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR FROM THE RECEIVERS OF THE MESSAGEONLY THEN, THE RECEIVERS WILL BE WILLING TO CONVERT THE COMMUNICATION INTO ACTION17 February 2012 15
LISTEN TO, OBSERVE & INTERPRET ALL FORMS OF LANGUAGE IS ESSENTIAL FOR EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION17 February 2012 16
Love is so caring… COMMUNICATION INCLUDES BODY LANGUAGE, TONALITY OF VOICE & THE WORDS YOU USE. 55% + 38% + 7% = 17 February 2012 17
• Interrupting to complete others’ sentences• Preparing our response before someone has completed speaking• Multitasking while ‘listening’• Filtering content or meaning based on our opinion / prejudice 17 about the speaker February 2012 18
1. MAKE SURE THAT BODY LANGUAGE, YOUR WORDS & TONALITY ARE CONGRUENT – [ ALIGNED AND SENDING THE SAME MESSAGE ]
2. MAINTAINING EYE CONTACT – [ EXPRESSION OF YOUR INTEREST ]
3. IMPROVE YOUR VOICE CULTURE – [ MAKE IT INTERESTING ]
4. BE POSITIVE, PRECISE AND CLEAR – [ ~ “Don’t forget to complete the work by tomorrow.” ] [ ~ “Please remember to complete the work by tomorrow.” ]
5. GOOD LISTENING SUPPLIES THE BUILDING BLOCKS OF GOOD UNDERSTANDING AND GOOD COMMUNICATION SKILLS ~ Listening is an active process involving : Ears – for verbal communication Eyes – for non-verbal communication Body – for gestures
6. WELL-TIMED PAUSES GIVE TIME FOR EXPLANATION, EVALUATION & DEVELOPMENT OF THOUGHT ~ Facial expressions reveal the difference between a pregnant pause and an embarrassed silence
7. SUMMARISING IS AN ESSENTIAL SKILL WHICH TAKES STOCK OF THE MAIN POINTS COVERED
8. EMPATHIZE WITH THE RECEIVER OF THE MESSAGE ~ put yourself in the other person’s position, understand the other person’s perspective and then proceed to interact
9. COMMUNICATION MUST APPEAL TO BOTH MIND AND HEART ~ appealing to mind requires facts, evidence and logic ~ appealing to the heart, more difficult, requires ‘touching the soul’ - based on mutually respected values
10. KEEP THE COMMUNICATION SIMPLE ~ say it in simple sentences, with no twists and turns ‘communicate to express but not to impress’
11. TELL IT AND TELL IT AGAIN, IF NECESSARY ~ tell the point once – then come back and hit it again, and again.
12. COMMUNICATE WITH CONFIDENCE ~ communication exposes your inner thoughts, feelings and sentiments. Your confidence, or the lack of it, is getting transparently revealed.
13. PRACTICE THE ART OF COMMUNICATING ON PAPER ~ thinking on paper & saying on paper
14. COMMUNICATION IS IRREVERSIBLE ~ communication cannot be reversed [ reversible processes – water and ice irreversible processes – milk and coffee ] Only minimizing the hurt feelings is possible, but the damage has already been done. [ ~ forgive but not forget ] Be highly careful, thoughtful and purposeful
15. COMMUNICATION IS MORE A PEOPLE PROCESS THAN A LANGUAGE PROCESS ~ communication is a series of actions and reactions communication influences our own and that of others’ behaviour communication reflects the true personality of an individual
16. COMMUNICATION CAN ALWAYS BE IMPROVED ~ practice, more practice and much more practice
17. COMMUNICATION AND FEEDBACK ~ feedback ensures that message has been received in the manner, that was originally intended
In case YOU likedthis speech and presentation~ for listening to more speeches andfor viewing more presentations,Please Visit:http://www.viswam-becomingbetter.blogspot.comhttp://www. archive.org/details/HowToExcelInWork In case YOU want to see some more presentations : Please visit : www.slideshare.net/viswanadham In case YOU want to give some feedback / contact me : Viswam.email@example.com 17 February 2012 41
Links to Prof. V. Viswanadham • Link to Presentation slides • Link to Audio Files • Link to Blog17 February 2012 42
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.