1. Let’s start by watching two videos. The first one is the musicvideo for Van Halen’s Right Now.
2. Watching the video again, write down some of the statementsshown onscreen. You can choose to copy only the ones thathave caught your attention. Then, you are to discuss with yourpartner :1- why you have picked up those particular statements2- why they have caught your attention3- what you think is going on in your house right now4- what you think is going on in your town/city right now5- what you think is going on in New York right now6- what you think people all round the world are doing rightnow (no matter what time zone they are in)
3. The second one was taken from the American sitcom The BigBang Theory. It features Simon Wolowitz (played by SimonHelberg) trying to make up with his girlfriend BernardetteRostenkowski (played by Melissa Rauch). He sings a version ofthe Four Tops’ hit song Bernardette.
4. Watching the video again, write down some of the lines of thelyrics shown onscreen. You can choose to copy only the onesthat have caught your attention. Then, you are to discuss withyour partner :1- why Howard is singing Bernadette a song2- what he is singing about in the song3- where he is singing the song4-what clothes he is wearing5-what clothes the girls are wearing6- how the girls feel about the song. Try to focus on theirreaction. Was the reception to his performance generallypositive, mixed or negative?
5. Present ContinuousThe present continuous tense, also known as the presentprogressive tense in some grammar books, is one of the mostoften used tenses in English. It is also one of the tenses thatEnglish learners use incorrectly. It is important to remember thatthe present continuous tense is generally used to expresssomething happening at the moment of speaking. It is not usedto express everyday habits and routines. Everyday habits androutines are expressed using the present simple tense. It is alsoimportant to remember that the present continuous is only usedwith action verbs and not stative verbs.
6. For example:Action Verbs (actions we take/things we do, or things that happen)Shes studying math with Tom at the moment. AND She studies math withTom every Friday.Theyve been working since seven oclock this morning. AND They worked fortwo hours yesterday afternoon.Well be having a meeting when you arrive. AND We are going to meet nextFriday.Stative Verbs (the way things are - their appearance, state ofbeing, smell, etc)The flowers smell lovely. NOT Those flowers are smelling lovely.She heard him speak in Seattle yesterday afternoon. NOT She was hearing himspeak in Seattle yesterday afternoon.Theyll love the concert tomorrow evening. NOT Theyll be loving the concerttomorrow evening.
7. Common Stative VerbsThere are many more action verbs than stative verbs. Here is a list of some themost common stative verbs be get hate impress like know love reach need recognize belong taste believe think cost understand
8. Generally, stative verbs fall into four groups:Verbs Showing Thought or Verbs Showing PossessionOpinions haveknow ownbelieve belongunderstand possessrecognize Verbs Showing Senses Verbs Showing Emotion hear love smell hate see want feel need taste
9. Here are some possible uses for the present continuous tenseThings that are happening now, at the Actions happening in a period around themoment. present moment in time.What are you doing? Im reading "The Surgeons Mate" byShes reading in the garden. Patrick OBrian.Theyre not standing in the rain. Whose account are you working on? Shes studying hard for her final exam.Future plans and arrangements. Common present continuous timeWere having leftovers this evening. expressions include:What are you doing tomorrow at the moment, now, today, this week, thisafternoon? month, tomorrow, next week (for futureShe isnt coming on Friday. arrangements ), currently
10. Structure Questions NegativePositive helping verb "be" + not + question word + helpinghelping verb "be" + verb + - verb + -ing. verb be + subject + verbing. Im not (I am not) -> + -ingIm (I am) -> working today. coming this evening. What -> are you -> doingYoure (You are) -> working You arent (You are not) -> this afternoon?today. coming this evening. What -> is he -> doing thisHes (He is) -> working He isnt (He is not) -> afternoon?today. coming this evening. What -> is she -> doingShes (She is) -> working She isnt (She is not) -> this afternoon?today. coming this evening. What -> is it -> doing thisIts (It is) -> working today. It isnt (It is not) -> coming afternoon?Were (We are) -> working this evening. What -> are we -> doingtoday. We arent (We are not) -> this afternoon?Youre (You are) -> working coming this evening. What -> are you -> doingtoday. You arent (You are not) -> this afternoon?Theyre (They are) -> coming this evening. What -> are they -> doingworking today. They arent (They are not) this afternoon? -> coming this evening.
11. Now, discuss the following topics with your partner:1-what your partner is doing now2-what he/she is doing right after class3-what he/she is doing tomorrow4-what his/her plans for next weekend are5-what his/her significant other is doing now6-what book he/she is reading this time
12. Last activity by now, describe what is going on in the X-Men comic book scenewhich follows