7th Global Conference On Health Promotion PptPresentation Transcript
7TH GLOBAL CONFERENCE ON HEALTH PROMOTION PROMOTING HEALTH & DEVELOPMENT: CLOSING THE IMPLEMENTATION GAP 26TH -30TH OCTOBER 2009 VENUE: KICC, Nairobi-Kenya
KEMRI EXHIBITIONS BY: DORIS NIGHT
1. INFECTIOUS DISEASES PROGRAMME ‘’Need to address challenges in Infectious Diseases in Africa...’’ HIV, TB, Malaria alone are estimated to kill 3 million people in Africa. The KEMRI Infectious Diseases Programme emphasizes research on opportunistic infectious, tuberculosis, sexually transmitted infectious, viral hepatitis, acute respiratory infections and drug development.
2. PARASITIC DISEASES ‘’...Improvement in health in the control and management of parasitic diseases can spur social progress and economic growth...’’ -KEMRI’s Parasitic Diseases Programme is mandated to reduce disease burden due to malaria, schistomiasis, leishmaniasis, filariasis and intestinal parasitoses among others.
3. EPIDEMIOLOGY, PUBLIC & HEALTH SYSTEMS RESEARCH ‘’ ...better health information is needed to gauge appropriate public health response and interventions...’’ -As an internationally renown health research institution, KEMRI conducts studies which address public health concerns as well as providing direction and translating research into evidence-based policy.
4. BIOTECHNOLOGY & NON-COMMUNICABLE DISEASES ‘’...Addressing the changing trends of non-communicable diseases in Africa...’’ -There is need for greater emphasis on non-communicable diseases(NCD) research in Africa due to increasing prevalence of NCD in developing countries. i.e Diabetes Mellitus, Cancer etc
5. ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE: Traditional Medicine & Drug Research ‘’...The rich flora and fauna give Africa a competitive advantage in producing health products derived from medicinal plants...’’ Ethnomedical: includes etiology of disease practitioners and their role in health care and types of treatment administered. Ethnobotany: how people of a particular culture and region make use of indigenous plants.
Phytochemical: shows plant chemicals that have protective or disease preventive properties. Phytopharmaceutical: products are pharmaceutical products, which use traditional components derived from plants instead of chemicals from synthesis.
RESEARCH DEVELOPMENT ‘’Turning innovations into Healthcare solutions.’’ Production & Marketing -Facility designed to manufacture simple, sustainable and cost effective diagnostic kits to meet national and regional requirements. i.e QMS, cGMPcompliant withPharmacy and Poisons Board (PPB).
Office of Marketing, Intellectual Property & Technology Transfer -to promote the development and marketing of research products and services. -Rapid Test Kits -Specialised Diagnostic Services -ESACIPAK -Graduate School