Game Design 1
The Los Angeles Film School
Create a timeline to your Scrolling Shooter game.
Create at least five timeline events, each with an increasingly challenging wave of enemy
Create a final timeline event that ends the game and displays your final score.
Save your Scrolling Shooter Game as an EXE file
Write a Formal Fundamentals document with the following sections.
○ Describe how your game presents an invitation to play.
○ Describe the ultimate goal of your game and how it is made clear to the player?
○ Describe the intermediate goals of your game? How do you make the player aware that there are a
series of goals?
○ Describe how the goals relate to each other in a meaningful way. If they don’t, how can you change
○ Describe how the goals are concrete, achievable and rewarding. If they aren’t, how you can fix that?
○ Describe the different ways the player can achieve their goals.
○ Describe whether you have a good balance of short- and long-term goals. If not, how could you
○ Describe whether players have a chance to decide on their own goals. If not, how could you change
○ Describe your game’s set up, progression and resolution.
○ Describe the verbs in your game and the objects that each verb acts on.
○ List the rules that define the objects in your game.
○ List the rules that restrict actions in your game.
○ List the resources in your game and describe how they are both useful and scarce.
○ Describe the skills that your game requires from your player.
○ Does the game demand the right level of skill? If not, how can you change that?
○ What experience do you want to create for your game? Do the skills create the experience you want?
If not, how can you change that?
○ Describe the boundaries in your game. Is it discrete or continuous? How many dimensions does it
○ Describe the different outcomes of your game and how they are uncertain .
Create a subfolder with your name in the “Assignment 3” Dropbox folder and
place the following files.
Present your game to the class in Session 4 and discuss your finished work.