Incremental Innovation (Make Stuff Suck Less)

on

  • 9,995 views

slides from my talk on Incremental Innovation @ IVS Spring 2013 (Sapporo, Japan)

slides from my talk on Incremental Innovation @ IVS Spring 2013 (Sapporo, Japan)

Statistics

Views

Total Views
9,995
Views on SlideShare
8,370
Embed Views
1,625

Actions

Likes
59
Downloads
208
Comments
5

9 Embeds 1,625

http://jp.startup-dating.com 661
http://www.startup-dating.com 500
http://thebridge.jp 292
https://www.rebelmouse.com 79
http://babyboomerentrepreneurs.tumblr.com 36
https://twitter.com 33
http://tech-research.lolipop.jp 18
http://quickasian.com 5
http://elonmusk.oktopic.com 1
More...

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

CC Attribution-ShareAlike LicenseCC Attribution-ShareAlike License

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

Incremental Innovation (Make Stuff Suck Less) Incremental Innovation (Make Stuff Suck Less) Presentation Transcript

  • Incremental Innovation.“Make Stuff Suck Less.”Dave McClure500 Startupsslideshare.net/dmc500hats
  • #TONYSTARK#DOESNTSUCKhttp://marvel.com/ironman3
  • Most Things Suck.• But, It’s Easy 2 Make Them Better.– Especially Because of Technology.– And Because of Tony Stark.– They Make it Easy To Copy & Improve their Innovations• TIP: DO NOT TRY TO BE TONY STARK.• JUST COPY / USE THEIR STUFF. (and Make It Slightly Better)• 99% of the time -- Copy/Use Other People’s Amazing Stuff.• 1% of the time -- Come Up With Your Own Innovative Stuff.• Improve the Innovation by 1% Every Month. View slide
  • Over Time, Things Sucks Less.• Fire• The Wheel• Farming• Pigs, Cows, Chickens• Iron, Steel• Ships• Printing Press• Textiles• Steam Engine• Electricity• Cars, Airplanes• Telephone• Radio, TV• Cable• The Internet• Social Networks• FB, Twitter, YouTube• Mobile Phones View slide
  • Why No Flying Cars Yet?(Teleportation? Sexy Robots?)• Because That Stuff is Really Hard.• Not So Many Tony Starks / Elon Musks Around.• You Ain’t All That Smart.• Or That Rich.• But, You Might Get To Use Their Stuff.
  • We Are Mental MidgetsWho Stand on Shoulders of Giant Geeks• Da Vinci• Sir Isaac Newton• James Watt• Nicola Tesla• Marie Curie• Gates• Jobs• Bezos• Larry & Sergei• Zuck
  • #INCREMENTALINNOVATION#ITERATIONFTWHow 2 Boil a Frog
  • You Don’t Have to be Tony Stark• Just Copy/Use the Stuff that Tony Stark Makes.– Tip: Since Most People Suck, They Won’t Notice U Aren’t Tony Stark.• Copy/Use 99% All The Amazing Stuff Out There.• Innovate on the other 1%.• Innovate 1% More Every Month.• Then Kick Back and Have a Beer.
  • Most Businesses Suck @ Innovation.• They Don’t Know Technology.• They Don’t Know How to Code.• They Don’t Know SEO or SEM.• They Don’t Know Email Marketing.• They Don’t Know Social, Video, Local, Mobile.• They Don’t Know Good Design or UX.• They Don’t Know How to Cut & Paste.• They Don’t Know How to Use PayPal.
  • Most Things Are Not Amazing.• But, We Can Easily Make Most Things Better.• Tech + Web = Reduced Overhead Costs.• Search + Social Platforms = Better Marketing.• Copy Existing Business Model = Reduced Risk.• FOCUS = Make ONEthing / SOMEthing Better.
  • #EVILPLAN#MWAHAHAEveryone Needs An Evil Plan (Hugh MacLeod)
  • Formula 4 Awesome:Notice Things That Suck. Make Them Suck Less.• Most Brick & Mortar Businesses Are Inefficient.• Lots of Overhead, Shitty UX, Crappy Marketing.• Copy Their Business Model (It Already Works).• Reduce Overhead Cost (Go Online).• Increase Marketing Efficiency (Go Online).• Copy/Integrate 99% Awesome Stuff (aka Tech)• Innovate on the Remaining 1%.• Keep Innovating 1%. Every Month.• Beat Them Like a Drum, Every Day & 2x on Sunday.
  • Ok, Let’s Try It.• Find an existing, physical-world big dumb businessthat makes money, but kinda sucks.• Verify they have high overhead costs, inefficient[offline] marketing, crappy service.• Copy the business model, reduce overhead costs,improve marketing.• Add some awesome technology, and then innovateon ONE important thing.
  • Problem: Ordering Food Sucks.(see blog post “Why Menus Suck”)• Issues:– Waiters– Menus– Pictures– Sharing– Discounts– Customer Lists– Food Quality– Food Service– Reviews– Delivery Time– Payment• Solutions:– ElaCarte– KitchIt– FoodA– Chewse– CraftCoffee– LoveWithFood– GoldBely– TeaLet– Ordr.in– MileHighOrganics– WholeShare
  • #BRANDING101#THINKDIFFERENTHere’s To The Crazy Ones. (Jobs)
  • 3 Basic Types of Brands:Virgin, Southwest, [Niche]• Virgin = “Mass Luxury” (+ sexy)– High-End Look & Feel, priced just barely within reach of mostmiddle-class customers, who love the “red-carpet” treatment • Southwest = “Convenience & Value” (+ funny)– Shit that just works, not very expensive, great value foreverybody. (Who doesn’t like Southwest?)• [Niche] = “Just for You & Me”– Designed for well-defined customer segments / attributes.– Less competition, higher margins, better retention– Ex: Gay, Old, Black, Short, Female, Moms, Left-Handed, Etc
  • Thanks.http://500.co
  • Dave McClureFounding Partner & Chief Troublemaker, 500 Startups00’s & 10’s:• VC: Founders Fund, Facebook fbFund, 500 Startups• Angel: Mashery, Mint.com, SlideShare, Twilio, WildFire, SendGrid• Marketing: PayPal, Simply Hired, Mint.com, oDesk, O’Reilly80’s & 90’s:• Entrepreneur: Aslan Computing (acq’d by Servinet/Panurgy)• Developer: Windows / SQL DB consultant (Intel, MSFT)• Engineer: Johns Hopkins‘88, BS Eng / Applied Math
  • 500 StartupsGlobal Seed Fund & Startup Accelerator• What is 500?– $65M+ under management– 25 people / 12 investing partners– Locations: SV, NYC, MEX, BRZ, IND, CHN, SEasia– 1000+ Founders / 200+ Mentors– Insanity 24x7x365• 500+ Portfolio Co’s / 30+ Countries– Wildfire (acq GOOG, $350M)– Twilio– SendGrid– TaskRabbit– MakerBot– 9GAG– Viki– Gengo– AppStack– VivaReal– MindSnacks– Visual.ly
  • 500 Startups: Global Seed FundOver 100+ startups outside US, in 35+ countries• Q4/12 added: Germany, Korea, Peru; + Russia, Israel, Turkey in Q1/13• Priorities in 2012: Brazil, Mexico, India• Priorities In 2013: China, SE Asia, MENA, Eastern Europe