1. Metrics and Monitoring in the cloudDavid Lutz@dlutzy
2. The objective of metrics is tomake pretty graphs…
3. The objective of metrics is tomake pretty graphs...in order to understand the performanceand capacityof your systems and how they vary over time.
4. The objective of monitoring is to…make the Operations-guy-on-call’s life hell.
5. The objective of monitoring is tocheck that the system is working as expectedand take action if some component isnt.
6. “Those who cannot remember the past arecondemned to repeat it” - George Santayana So here’s a case study…
7. A long time ago in a data centre far,far away….
8. Complete system includes humans to run it!Human Factors Engineering.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_factors2 x Linux Engineers1 x Network Engineer1 x Do Anything Guy1 x Developer
9. No Monitoring or Metrics. Black Box. Completely blind.
10. MRTGNet Saint
11. Large Development team External Consultants ITIL Process people5 x Linux Engineers1 x Network Engineer2 x Database AdministratorsandPart of an Infrastructure team that includedVirtualization specialistsStorage specialistsHardware specialists