Solar Energy By: Mitch, Danny, and Nicky
- Non polluting, no noise, no harmful or unpleasant smells
Very reliable, most solar panels have a 25 year warranty
Source: the sun(reliable resource)
Expensive, but saves money and the environment in the long run
- A solar energy installation requires a large area for the system to be efficient in providing a source of electricity
Location, can possibly be a bad source of sunlight
How It Works:
- Solar energy is harnessed through a process called photovoltaic cells, cells made up of two types of silicone
Sunlight is made up of little units of energy called photons
- Solar cells made up of negative and positive layers, which creates an electrical field
When the photons hit the solar cell, the electrons flow to form what we know as electricity
Fast Facts on Solar Energy
- The first working solar cell was invented by Charles Fritts in 1883 and operated at 1% efficiency
Every minute enough solar energy reaches the earth to meet global energy demands for a year
The sunlight that reaches the earth is about 200,000 times the total electrical energy generated by humans everyday
- 1. Name one advantage of solar energy.
2. T/F- Solar energy is cheap.
3. Name one disadvantage of solar energy.
4. Each solar panel lasts for how long?
5. Who first invented the use of solar energy?
- 1. Cheap, no noise pollution, no harmful smells
4. 25 years
5. Charles Fritts