5. Quick Survey – What Agile AdoptionSuccess have you seen?• 5 = Every )me a success • ... • 0 = Every )me a failure • Raise your hand when your number comes up… Photo CC http://www.flickr.com/photos/ lindsey_catherine/5808320129
6. XP Toronto Mtg 2011Agile Tour Toronto 2011 Agile New England 2011
7. Causes of Agile Failure
8. Barriers to Further Agile Adoption Copyright VersionOne 2011
10. Why is Culture Important? “If you do not manage “The only thing of culture, it manages you, real importance and you may not even be that leaders do is to aware of the extent to create and manage which this is happening.” culture.” Edgar Schein Professor MIT Sloan School of Management Photo courtesy: http://leadership-tdoerffer.blogspot.com/2010/11/enjoy-interview-with-prof-edgar-schein.html
11. Agile Tour Toronto 2011 Agile New England 2011
12. Example Survey QuestionWhen all is said and done, the way we accomplish success in this organiza7on is to: 1. Create an organiza)on that has the highest possible level of competence and capitalize on that competence. 2. Get and keep control. 3. Provide the condi)ons whereby the people within the organiza)on can develop and make valuable accomplishments. 4. Put a collec)on of people together, build them into a team, and charge them with fully u)lizing one another as resources.
14. Kanban Principles (Anderson) First adopt the Then (use the 5 Core founda:onal principles Proper:es) • Start with what you do 1. Visualize the workﬂow now 2. Limit WIP • Agree to pursue 3. Manage Flow incremental, 4. Make Process Policies evolu7onary change Explicit • Respect the current 5. Improve Collabora7vely process, roles, (using models & the responsibili7es & 7tles scien7ﬁc method) http://agilemanagement.net/index.php/Blog/the_principles_of_the_kanban_method/
26. Adoption of Agile Practices ina Mismatched Culture
27. Adoption - Practices à Doing AgileWhen culture is not compa:ble with Agile q Incremental Adop)on q Look at Context q Pain à Prac)ce q Avoid q Scrum q Agile Manifesto q See q “Agile Adop)on PaXerns: A Roadmap to Organiza)onal Success” by Amr Elssamadisy q “Becoming Agile in an Imperfect World” provides a lot of prac)cal advice on adop)ng Agile [Smith & Sidky].
35. #2 Incubate TransformationalLeadership Leaders go ﬁrst! • Live the values • Lead by example • Seek to truly understand their culture • Be as transparent as the teams they lead See presenta7on: Agile From the Top Down: Execu7ves & Leadership Living Agile by Jon Stahl hXp://www.slideshare.net/LeanDog/agile-‐from-‐the-‐top-‐down
36. #3 Develop Transformational Leadership TeamØ Deep alignment between leadership teams’ personal visions and organizational compelling shared visionØ Continued commitment to maintaining integrity and sacredness of leadership teamSee Temenos retreat@Siraju Ref: http://adaptivecollaboration.com/2012/04/23/temenos-retreat-a-journey-of-change/
40. Resources• These slides are available on slideshare • Free eBook: hXp://www.infoq.com/minibooks/ agile-‐adop)on-‐transforma)on • Videos, Blog Posts hXp://agilitrix.com/2011/04/agile-‐ culture-‐series-‐reading-‐guide/ CC @MichaelSahota