1. Use.• We use the Present Perfect Tense to talk about experiences. It is important if we have done it in our lives or not. It is not important when we did it. Examples: I have been abroad two times. Anna has never broken a leg.
• We use the Present Perfect Tense to talk about an action which started in the past and continuous up to now.Examples I have been a teacher for more than ten years. We havent seen Janine since Friday.07/10/07 3
• We also use the Present Perfect Tense to talk about a past action that has the result in the present.Examples I have lost my wallet. = I dont have it now. Jimmy has gone to South America. = He isnt here now.07/10/07 4
2. Formulas• Affirmative sentence: I / We / + have + past participle + complement You / They verb I have eaten octupus. He / She / It + has + past participle + complement verb She has heard about you. 07/10/07 5
• Negative sentence: I / We + havent + past participle + complementYou/They verb We havent done our jobs.He / She / It + hasnt + past participle + complement verb It hasnt eaten its bone. 07/10/07 6
• Interrogative sentences:(Wh-)+ Have + person + past participle+ C + ? Has verb Have you learnt English? Yes, I have. No, I havent. What has she done? She has done her homework. (This answer is an affirmative sentence) 07/10/07 7
3. Present Perfect with For and Since• We use For with a period of time, for example: a few days, half an hour, two years.Example: I have had this computer for about a year.07/10/07 8
• We use SINCE with the time when the action started, for example: last year, June 8, I met you.Example: I havent seen Julia since September. 07/10/07 9
Exercise 1: Complete with For or Since.1. I havent phoned home ______ Christmas.2. Weve been here______ nine oclock.3. I have worked for International House____ more than eight years.4. I havent visited my home town _____ I left school.5. I havent been to the cinema_____ ages.07/10/07 10
6. I have studied non-stop ______ 9.15.7. I have had a driving licence ______ I was eighteen.8. She hasnt had a day off ______1999.9. Johan has been in England ______more than two weeks now.10. Peter has been my best friend ______we were nine. 07/10/07 11
Exercise 2: For or Since?1. ________ last weekend2. ________ ten seconds3. ________ Christmas Eve4. ________ a decade5. ________ I finished school6. ________ couple of days7. ________ my birthday8. ________ a long time9. ________ ten centuries10. ________ the 70s07/10/07 12
11. ________ I was a boy12. ________ August13. ________ the last month14. ________ fifteen years15. ________ the accident16. ________ then17. ________ we bought this house18. ________ last month19. ________ a millennium20. ________ I met you07/10/07 13
Material selected and created by Danitza Lazcano Flores Teacher of English 200707/10/07 14
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.