On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
tips and the ABC’s
of social media
Donnie Laur - Social Media hyperlocal
• SIU Campus Administrator and inﬂuencer of SIU Youtube EDU and
SIUC on iTunes U.
• Largest College or Department level facebook Page, although one of
the smallest colleges. It helps that folks in communications and
media are familiar with social media.
• The push behind developing a social media working group for SIUC.
Stalled a bit, but will pick up steam soon! Wanna help?
• I run several of my own fb pages, help out others, and try to build
communities. Focusing on local ﬁrst.
• I have attended several conferences and conventions that focused on
social media. Only learned from the best.
What I do
• Technology Steward - Someone who can facilitate
community and network development. They have enough
experience with the workings of a community to understand its
technology needs, and enough technology to take leadership in
• Civic Media - Civic media is any form of communication that
strengthens the social bonds within a community or creates a
strong sense of civic engagement among its residents.
• HyperLocal - Wiki. Noun: Emergent ecology of data
(including textual content), aggregators, publication mechanism
and user interactions and behaviors which centre on a resident
of a location and the business of being a resident; Adjective:
Refers to someone that is the best at connecting people, locally.
Managing or helping with 20 Pages - 16,107 fans. All SI and 618 Area
Social Media is best used for?
• Connecting and interacting with people that
you would not normally reach. Build social
relationships and allow people to decide how
much they would like to connect or interact
• Rather than building a new way to connect, use
the technology and hot website of the time.
Bind yourself to connecting and ideas, so that
when the technology shifts, so will the people
that you connected with.
Social Media Conversation Prism
Why should I care about facebook?
• More than 400 million users. 50% of users log on to fb in any given day.
• More than 35 million update status each day.
• More than 3 billion photos uploaded each month.
• More than 5 billion pieces of content/month. links, news, posts, notes,
• 3.5 million events created each month.
• More than 1.5 million local businesses have active fb Pages.
• More than 100 million active users accessing fb through mobile devices.
• Those that use their phone, are more than twice as active than non-
• Keeping people up to date. Fans get bytes of news
a little bit at a time.
• Media Assets Toolbox. Your photos, videos, news,
all in one place or every place. Don’t host them
yourself, use social media. The bonus is that the
people are already there and the search engines
are pulling from social media.
• A good way to showcase creativity.
What do I do?
• It is similar to a cocktail party, but without
constraints of time and space.
• Meet people and start conversation. Listen
and answer questions.
• Ask questions, trust other’s advice.
• It is the conversation, not the technology!
Mix it Up!
• Mix it Up! It doesn’t have to be all news, all the time.
• Don’t be a megaphone for yourself.
• Ask open questions that solicit a positive response, a
• Highlight achievements, results in a “Like”.
• Share media. Use multimedia.
• Be a good friend or neighbor. Share comments that
others have made.
• The best social media practices are
unselﬁsh in nature.
• Unselﬁshness leads to credibility.
• The more SPAM-ish you are, the less
people will be willing to trust you.
• Don’t be afraid to mention or talk about
trending topics or give others pats on the
The 4 C’s of Community
ﬁnd a niche that is underserved, then serve the
community better than anyone else
• Content - Quality attracts
• Context - Serving the right
experience at the right time.
• Connectivity - About micro-
interactions. Connect each
• Continuity - Communities
need to be ﬂexible to evolve
Let’s make a
Make a Page for your Business or Community
Keep the name short. Two or three words will keep the Page
looking like a personal account and reduce clutter.
Head to facebook.com/pages/create.php
Build a fanbase
• Suggest to personal fans ﬁrst. They will fan and create a small base.
This is your inner circle of friends. They will grow your page.
• As they Fan your page, it will appear on their home and others will
join as well.
• Is there a local community or Tourism Page? If they allow public
postings of businesses, post a link to your Page.
• If you have a website, add a badge or a fanbox to let people know
of your social media presence.
• Build quickly to 100 fans, without marketing if possible. At 100
fans, set a Username for your Page. facebook.com/username/
When you get your username, use that URL in marketing and
Add another admin
If you created a business account to manage your Page,
add your personal account as the administrator.
If you have an employee, or in case
of the community, someone who
wants to help, let them.
If anything would mess up your
account, like a password issue, you
would be locked out of your Page.
No one would ever know that you
are the administrator.
facebook Business “Page” breakdown
• Wall. Turn off ﬁlter for more interaction. This
should be your ﬁrst page edit.
• Notes. Import via RSS or blog.
• Page Favorites.
• Photos and Videos
• Fans that work like friends.
facebook Page - Wall
To increase interaction remove the Wall Fan Filter
or all interaction is hidden and the Page loses
facebook Page - Notes
If you have a blog, RSS feed, or podcasts, you can use
the Notes application to automatically import stories.
Use a personal account with “admin” access.
it might not appear if you are using a business account
Find a local page that you want featured on your business Page.
This will add to your Page’s Favorites
Shorter names look better
facebook ads are an effective way of
increasing a targeted audience.
can target location, demographics, education, and interests.
Pay per Impressions (CPM) or Per Click (CPC)
bring facebook to your website
Seemless, one-click authentication, distribution back into facebook streams.
What? Rather than having an unique username and another password to
remember on your website, just use the facebook username/password in a
single button click. Import photos from facebook, and more.
Live Feed, Comments, Single Sign On, Share, Suggest Friends
bring your site into facebook
• Applications, add more, build your own!
fb default applications are important to strengthen your social media
presence, because users are familiar with them. Such as Wall, Events,
Discussion boards, Links, Notes, Photos, and Video.
You can develop your own fb application or add others.
Yes, their is an app for that!
wanna build your own app?
Important ABC’s of
Available and Active
businesses are moving from hard to
reach to available anywhere
Follow us on Twitter, Visit us on facebook
Badge or Box
Edit your Page, build a badge or fan box
how do you connect? Lose the marketing or corporate speak and get personal
Most businesses fear going into social media ...
others will make us look bad or complain
“The closer you get to someone, something,
some brand, some organization ... the harder
it is to demonize it, objectify it or hate it.
So, if you want to not be hated, open up. Let
people in. Engage. Interact.” - Seth Godin
• Opinions, everyone has one
• Join the conversation businesses have always been
hard to reach, to engage with,
social media makes it possible.
• Go where the crowds are
• Share with others
• Use your workers, odds are they
already know how to use social
media... maybe better than you
basically HTML for facebook. There is static
FBML and you can use FBML in applications
feed source for frequently updated content
a friend is a two-way connection with
a personal account on fb while a fan is
friend or fan
a one-way connection that is following
a fb business or community “Page”.
a social trend in which people use technologies to get the
things that they need from each other, rather than from
traditional institutions like corporations
this is the book to read!
focus on community, focus local, and your followers will grow
• The goal is more
• ROI is no longer return on
investment and is now
Return on Interaction
• Insights measure
• Re-tweet, like, comment,
post, share, suggest
Getting people to social media has
join. To build your great keyword
community, you need results in google.
people to jump the
barrier and join. Use keywords carefully
What are people saying about your brand?
Lurkers are people who are interested in your posts, will read them, but not comment.
Breakdown is 1% contributer, 10% commenter, and 89% Lurker, 100% of people reap the reward.
Want to increase your brand awareness, get the Lurkers to jump in and interact!
• combination of one or more social element
• Homes for sale on somewhere like
craiglist, plotted on a google map
• Mashable - the Social Media Guide at
mashable.com is one of the best social
media resources available
One of the most effective,
but least often used fb
Used on Proﬁles and Pages.
Notes can import
automatically via RSS feeds.
You can add photos, and
employees post about business on personal
account, do you have a social media policy?
Too many posts When asked a question, try to
or interactions reply, and in a timely manner.
will lead others to think
that you are SPAMming them.
Determine your social media strategy.
Content strategy is one of the most
important strategies in your social
media campaign. The content must be
relevant/useful to your audience and
adaptable across several social media
your goal by connecting and
being honest and interacting
is to build consumer trust
Your username is important. Pick something that is
easy to remember, reﬂects your business and that is
easy to spell.
Keep one variation, this makes searching work better.
are your followers
telling others about you? Word of Mouth
Viral is the new Word of Mouth