7. Redesign AP Computer Science course toincorporate a challenge-based learningformat.Document and share the process.Build something awesome.Succeed on the AP exam.
8. Guiding Would they still grasp the concepts?Questions Could we learn this together? How do we change the classroom dynamic? Would this be more engaging? Could they transfer theirknowledge to a different language?
9. Obj-C NSString name = “World”; NSLog(@"Hello %@", name); JavaString name = “World”;System.out.println("Hello " + name);
10. FrenchBonjour, World. C’est une belle journée. Italian Ciao, World. E ‘una bella giornata.
11. OngThe Framework Asse oing Inf ssm o ent rmative Big Idea Essential Evaluate Question Challenge Implement Solution Guiding Guiding Questions Activities/ Resources Ongand oing Do tion Pub lishi cument l ec ng atio g Ref n ng oin O
12. Challenge Create an iPhone app that will be useful to our school community.
13. Guiding What resourcesQuestions What is are there? realistic?How can we brand Can we charge it as an official money? Punahou app? How many peopleHow can we getthe word out? have cell phones? What does “useful” mean?
14. Guiding Guided Activities Discussion Meeting with somebody who Campus-wide works at Apple Survey Meeting withCommunications Meeting with Dining Services
15. Student Presentation
16. Punahou iOS App AP Computer Science
17. The Concept
18. An electronic schedule andtask manager, designed to be useful to the Punahou community.
19. Tasks Schedule Extras
21. 31% 69%0 62.5 125 187.5 250 8th 9th Own iOS Device 10th 11th Don’t Own iOS Device 12th Faculty633 responses (Most own iPod touch)
22. “Would you find this feature useful? That is, would you use it regularly?”
23. Tasks Schedule 91%82% 3.57 3.85Would use this regularly Usefulness rating
24. ExtrasEquations Converter Periodic Table Songs Oﬃces 88% 81% 77% 3.68 66% 3.17 3.34 2.86 1.96 33% Would use this regularly Usefulness rating
26. Add a Task Autocomplete Optional Fields Classes
27. Sort by date ... or Priority ... or Class
28. Add an Event View Your Flip Through Schedule Days
29. Choose a Compare Your Friend Schedules
31. OngThe Framework Asse oing Inf ssm o ent rmative Big Idea Essential Evaluate Question Challenge Implement Solution Guiding Guiding Questions Activities/ Resources Ongand oing Do tion Pub lishi cument l ec ng atio g Ref n ng oin O
32. Change and Innovation Big IdeaChalleng e Based iOS Ap p arning Develo Le pment
33. Change andInnovation
34. Flip the model.Capture kids’ thinking processes.Point them to each other.Build something that matters.
35. Flip the model.
36. What if my course ran like a startup? http://www.flickr.com/photos/62223880@N00/242264410 What happens in a meeting?
37. Sh a re d at a Ta lk to o the r He lp s o e ach proble m l ve s Pla n and c o o rd i n a te As k Drawq ue s t i o p ic t u re s ns Sh o w w or k
41. “Flipped” ClassroomListen to lecture Work on labsIn class At home
42. Lecture Podcasts
43. Lecture Podcasts
44. Viewing Party
45. Weekly Summariesthe students say: “...fun and helpful” “cool” “...strangely compelling yet disturbing.”
47. Capture kids’ thinking processes.
48. Sample Prompts Talk about a point where you got stuck. How did you get unstuck? What has been the most challenging aspect of this course for you so far? Talk about one thing that you can do in a group toPhoto Booth help that group succeed.
49. Photo Booth We draggedWe clicked here files from hereto record video to desktop
50. W TF“What’s Th isFunction? ”
51. sessment enta tion and As Lab 4 Pres tion to g e yo u r screen resoluDirections: y a n d ch a n ces / Displa w to ﬁll m Preferen f the windo1. Go to the Syste at the top o reen button 800x600. d click the g code (if ne cessary) an2. Open X en size. ations folde r. en Recordin g. the new scre e Player in your Applic o se New Scre uicktim nu and cho t to Internal 3. Open Q the File me phone is se time P layer, go to at the Micro 4. In Quick ake sure th arrow and m ne. 5. Clic k the down pho ch of uilt-in Micro r project ea Mic rophone: B w here in you ons. Show 6. Click Re cord. eight questi s you can. ress cmd- ach of th e following in in as m uch detail a screen, or p Answer e ,a nd expla e top of the 7. ents occurs enu bar at th these elem top in the m ou are pau, click s 8. When y ctrl-e sc. does. e xp lain what it utlets, and how one of your IBO ct. Question 1 :S new class to your proje ou would do to add a raws the :S how what y lain how it d Question 2 drawn. Exp ur shape is the code yo : Sh ow where in Question 3 gram takes to set up shap e. ps your pro how the ste FromNib, s : Starting with awake Question 4 d o e s. the new P olygon. plain what it class meth ods and ex one of your hat it does. Questi on 5: Show d explain w methods an ur instance w one of yo Que stion 6: Sho here is it ca lled? tNeedsDis play do? W plication hat does Se n as the ap Question 7: W te runs as soo AppDelega thod in the : Sh o w which me Question 8 starts up.
52. “The Confessional” Culture
53. Point them to each other.
54. Wikifying the Classroom
55. Evaluating Process• Emphasis is on process and reflection, rather than end product.• Individualized goals.• Technology gives students choice about how to demonstrate their learning.
56. The Framework Team and Personal Goals Final Narrative Conference Notes Record of Project Thinking Work Work Logs Record of Thinking WikiProject Pages
57. Category 5 4 3 1–2 ScoreRecord of Thinking Student can provide Student can provide Student can provide Student can provide detailed evidence of some evidence of little evidence of almost no evidence planning and planning and planning or of planning or reﬂection at any reﬂection at any reﬂection at any reﬂection at any point during the point during the point during the point during the learning process. learning process. learning process. learning process.Conference with Mr. Student has Student has Student has Student hasKiang conferenced with conferenced with conferenced with conferenced with Mr. Kiang two or Mr. Kiang two or Mr. Kiang once in the Mr. Kiang once in the more times in the more times in the quarter and has quarter but has no quarter and has quarter but has no recorded notes of recorded notes of recorded notes of recorded notes of the conversation. the conversation. the conversation. the conversation.Team Goals All deadlines have Some deadlines Few deadlines have No deadlines have been met and code have been met and been met and code been met and code meets all of the code meets some of meets few of the meets none of the following factors: the following following factors: following factors: Complete, factors: Complete, Complete, Complete, Commented, Commented, Commented, Commented, Efﬁcient, and Efﬁcient, and Efﬁcient, and Efﬁcient, or Effective. Effective. Effective. Effective.Personal Goals An ambitious A learning goal has A learning goal has A learning goal has learning goal has been developed and been developed and not been fully been developed and progress made some progress made developed and/or not a great deal of toward the goal. toward the goal. a great deal of progress made progress made toward the goal. toward the goal.Sharing and Student has done a Student has done Student has done a Student has doneFeedback great deal of sharing some sharing little sharing outside little to no sharing outside of team and outside of team and of team and has outside of team and has collected has collected some collected a little has collected almost meaningful feedback. feedback. feedback. no feedback.
58. Team and Personal• Google Docs form Goals• Personal Goals• Team Goals• Measurable, Ambitious, Attainable• Can be adjusted as we go
59. “My goal for my team goal is toeﬀectively communicate throughoutthe entire project and to completethe app with an equal share of workcontributed.” “Ill know Im successful when I feel that were constantly emailing, iChatting, and talking in school about our app and keep each other updated on how were doing and what weve accomplished.”
60. • Many diﬀerent formats• Chronicles progress toward goals • “I am feeling...” • “This is better/worse than...”• Must cite evidence from other sources Record of Thinking
61. “In-App Purchase”
62. ProjectWork Work Logs
63. ProjectWork • Factual • What did you do? • No lates Moodle Logs
64. • Outward facing site• Chronicled progress toward project• Updated by group• The web site for your project Wikispaces Page
65. FinalNarrative• Tell the story of your app and your progress toward your goals• Read through all of your Record of Thinking entries, Moodle Logs, Conference Notes, and Wikispaces entries.• Cite evidence in your narrative.• Clarity, Specificity, Logic, Breadth, Depth
66. “Making an app like this on our own is really funbecause it can be frustrating, but werefrustrated together and whenever we solve aproblem … we experience a great feeling ofsuccess and happiness. In fact, there were acouple of times, like … when we first got a dotto follow your touch, when we both jumped upand high-fived each other as hard as we couldand just yelled in success. Each step is like aterrible, horrible, twisted forest. But when youfinally work your way out and look back at whatyou did, you can look at the path that youhacked through your problem(s) with pride.”
67. Grading Graded on iPad Submitted E-mailed back withfrom laptop comments
68. Change and Innovation Big IdeaChalleng e Based iOS Ap p arning Develo Le pment
69. iOS ApDevelo p pment
70. iOS Developer Program Individual Membership $99 / year CompanyDevelop Test Distribute
71. Alternatives to Coding Unity 3D
72. Alternatives to CodingUnreal Engine SDK (Windows only)
73. Alternatives to Coding GameSalad Creator
74. over 10,000 countries over 30 downloads Belgium Germany PolandQatar France China Korea Taiwan IndiaPortugalFinland Italy USA ArabiaRepublic UK Dominican Saudi Mexico Russia Philippines Peru Sweden NetherlandsHong Kong Australia Canada
75. The Switch Students collaborated more Competition was minimized AP Exam was marginalized Achievement gap widened http://www.flickr.com/photos/48393303@N00/315335738
76. Challenge Get everybody to master the AP Java subset.
77. There’s an AP for that.
78. slides and links available at:http://tinyurl.com/kiangkstech